Limit for carrying cash into Thailand

You can bring up to $20,000 US into the country without having to declare it.

"Foreign Currency

Travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations."

I wonder if the 6k pound number is the most you can take out of the UK without declaring it. For the US it is $10k.
  • Thanks 2

UbonJoe, as you know all about everything here, what would the amount be if you transfer money,

on a monthly basis, to a thai bank, without raising some suspicion? The money is huge, so I think it will be

portioned out. The the money is of course legally aquired, no money laundring here!  Thanks in advance!      

15 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

UbonJoe, as you know all about everything here, what would the amount be if you transfer money,

on a monthly basis, to a thai bank, without raising some suspicion? The money is huge, so I think it will be

portioned out. The the money is of course legally aquired, no money laundring here!  Thanks in advance!      

50K U.S. raised flags both stateside and in Thailand.  Nothing serious, but lots of questions asked.

18 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

on a monthly basis, to a thai bank, without raising some suspicion?

Not sure of what the amount would be for here. Perhaps the equivalent of 2 million baht. I would be more concerned about the country it is sent from than here.

• Like 2

Been mentioned multiple times in as much as not what you can bring into Thailand but more what you can take out of Heathrow without any potential issue

Up to £999.99 no problems

From £1000 to 10,000 Euros questions "can" be asked as to origin  (note the currency difference)

10,000 Euro and above written declaration

Been on the statute books since 2002

Its the second bracket that so many are not aware of and only believe that its the 3rd tier thats important

Get tugged on final gate by a money dog and explanations of won it on the dogs will see you travelling (or aborting) without it

Edited by Chivas

The thing is, the money will be transfered from England to another EU country, bank to bank,

with all paperwork in the clear. So, no money while going through Heathrow or any other airport

in England. I know there will be some issues in my home country, but with all papers clear, there

will not be any obstacles. I was just concerned about how the Thai government is looking into

bank transfers coming in to a Thai bank.  

There is no limit to how much cash you can carry into Thailand. Anything over 20,000 USD or the equivalent must be declared.

As others have mentioned, you must also abide by the regulations of the country you depart from, and also any country where you have to transfer if the transfer involves you exiting the airport through customs (for example to catch a flight from a different airport).

13 minutes ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Once again: I will not carry any money, I will transfer from one bank in Europe to one bank in Thailand.

But you could be asked to show Bht 20,000 in cash on your person, depending on your Visa status.

You  have to declare any money in excess of Us$20,000. You can take much more in just declare it at the red channel. They take you into a side office and fill a small form out, they give you a copy and off you go. Done it a few times. Not problems or HASTLE. Have always been treated very friendly. I did not have to show them the money eather. If you bring a lot in I would suggest you have a bank document to show you withdrew it from your account.

Edited by shaurene
I missed a point I should have mentioned

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure of what the amount would be for here. Perhaps the equivalent of 2 million baht. I would be more concerned about the country it is sent from than here.

I was told in Bangkok Bank last month that anything up to 1.5 million baht is ok.

14 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

most people here would love to have ur problems

• Haha 2

thanks Wazzupnow, but sometimes have to much does not makes life easier,

only make you buy what you want, without thinking to much about it. And also,

not speak about it too much, people here like to think that all the money is

in the matress, and then you`re house is up for burglary, sooner or later.

I have cameras around my house, so I`m not nervous about it. But, no, not

any big money in the house, sorry about that!!