Video: Crushed! The perils of undertaking

rooster59

Video: Crushed! The perils of undertaking

1536318272779.PNG

Image: MCOT

Footage from the rear facing camera of a truck caused a lot of comment on Thai social media.

The video shows a pick-up driving at speed attempting to pass the truck on the left. 

The truck edges over to the left ultimately crushing the smaller vehicle into the barrier in the hard shoulder. 

MCOT said they were both to blame. 

There were no reports yet of charges in Thursday's incident.

Source: MCOT

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-08
  • Haha 2

Perhaps the truck driver didn't like the way the Ute driver passed the other Ute in the same lane and having it attempt a pass on the shoulder. More likely the truck driver was pulling to the shoulder and just didn't check his left side mirror. What's with all this risky highway should parking, anyway? Where's the THP, anyway? Ooops, forget it!

Undertaking_pickup.jpeg.af6e3f60ec9d3fee16d5e29cbbc53f5d.jpeg

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

You rubbished my post but offered zero evidence as to why.

BTW. I have driven quite a lot round Nong Khai and from what I saw, undertaking is the norm in your neck of the woods too.

Spidey, I Never Rubbished you're post,I Just thought by the statement you made : Re Truck Driver 100% Wrong,It was NOT Worth the effort to TRY to change you're opinion......BTW I Drove PROFESSIONALLY .....Trucks, Buses & Taxis for very nearly 50 Years......

And Yes Re; Nong Khai,I AGREE 100% With you & I Deplore it !!! But Yer Can't change the habits of Monkeys when the get behind the steering wheel...!!!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Info...
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Undertaking is allowed, stupid in my opinion, but using the emergency lane for undertaking is not allowed.

Neither is mounting the wall but needs must when someone is trying to run you off the road.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

You rubbished my post but offered zero evidence as to why.

BTW. I have driven quite a lot round Nong Khai and from what I saw, undertaking is the norm in your neck of the woods too.

Spidey, I Never Rubbished you're post,I Just thought by the statement you made : Re Truck Driver 100% Wrong,It was NOT Worth the effort to change you're opinion......BTW I Drove PROFESSIONALLY .....Trucks, Buses & Taxis for very nearly 50 Years......

And Yes Re; Nong Khai,I AGREE 100% With you & I Deplore it !!! But Yer Can't change the habits of Monkeys when the get behind the steering wheel...!!!

I deplore undertaking in a  car.  On a motor bike here it is essential.  The majority of car drivers here are totally inconsiderate especially of bikes.  The norm is to sit as close to the centre as possible if cars are coming in the opposite direction and to straddle it if not. Overtaking on the outside becomes much more difficult and dangerous.  Obviously bikers choose the safer and correct approach of going past on the inside gap.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Neither is mounting the wall but needs must when someone is trying to run you off the road.

Pick up driver shouldn't have tried it, using the emergency lane is stupid. If on the left lane and truck in the middle then the truck moved left fair enough.

Just now, futsukayoi said:

I deplore undertaking in a  car.  On a motor bike here it is essential.  The majority of car drivers here are totally inconsiderate especially of bikes.  The norm is to sit as close to the centre as possible if cars are coming in the opposite direction and to straddle it if not. Overtaking on the outside becomes much more difficult and dangerous.  Obviously bikers choose the safer and correct approach of going past on the inside gap.

Often not safer as 4 wheeled drivers often have a blind spot to scooters coming up the inside ad do what the truck driver did to the pickup. Much more painful if it happens to you on a bike.

Just now, overherebc said:

Pick up driver shouldn't have tried it, using the emergency lane is stupid. If on the left lane and truck in the middle then the truck moved left fair enough.

Which is exactly what happened, watch the video again.

Ooooohhh !! Dear Spidey, I Think YOU'LL Find the reason why the truck " Moved to the left " Is that to AVOID Slowing faster traffic down which may come behind him......Which he is quite entitled to do as per highway traffic regulations !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Info...
  • Like 1

Just now, tropo said:

The activity that really annoys me is overtaking when I'm on a regular 2-way street, near the center line and indicating to turn right.

Happened to me once in the UK, I was indicating to turn right, almost stationary, checked my mirror and a biker suddenly decided to overtake me at a serious rate of knots.

Biker spent 3 months in hospital.

Just now, Nong Khai Man said:

Ooooohhh !! Dear Spidey, I Think YOU'LL Find the reason why the truck " Moved to the left " Is that to AVOID Slowing faster traffic down which may come behind him......

Did he really need to do that as a pickup came up the inside of him... or could he have waited?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Pick up driver had already ignored white lines at the junction, overtook another pick up in the same lane then tried to race through an already narrowing gap and lost the race. Braking would have caused loss of face.

Contact on the left rear wheels of the truck will cause then to slow slightly and actually pull the truck further left.

• Like 1

Happened to me once in the UK, I was indicating to turn right, almost stationary, checked my mirror and a biker suddenly decided to overtake me at a serious rate of knots.

Biker spent 3 months in hospital.

I haven't had a collision yet, but I had some close calls. I'm on a bike and the overtakers are too.