Video: Crushed! The perils of undertaking

rooster59

11 hours ago, 300sd said:

Pic-up driver: me first attitude as usual.

Truck driver: pulled over on the shoulder to stop. Most likely had his signal on and most likely the pic-up driver couldn't see past his nose, as usual.

That's the way it looks like to me, also.   Big truck was going to park  on the shoulder.  Pickup aggressively in a hurry, undertaking.  Big truck should have seen the pickup there, anyway, and could have avoided crushing the jerk.

• Like 1

Aggressive driving by the little truck, splitting a lane and hauling ass.  Big trucks are slow off the line.

I personally have no problem with "undertaking" (passing in the slow lane) as long as it's reasonable and within the ebb and flow of traffic.  That said, I think the truck driver went a bit out of his way to run all the way onto the very edge of the left lane and then some. 

• Like 1

Too many of those drivers think that the "hard  shoulder" is their own private lane, I'm glad the  lorry crushed him but I doubt  the van belonged to him and he will have learnt nothing from this in any way. 

He'll be back out their tomorrow doing the same thing. Impatient 90% of drivers here.

The childish reporting always helps keep the mentality the same.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

You rubbished my post but offered zero evidence as to why.

BTW. I have driven quite a lot round Nong Khai and from what I saw, undertaking is the norm in your neck of the woods too.

Spidey, I Never Rubbished you're post,I Just thought by the statement you made : Re Truck Driver 100% Wrong,It was NOT Worth the effort to TRY to change you're opinion......BTW I Drove PROFESSIONALLY .....Trucks, Buses & Taxis for very nearly 50 Years......

And Yes Re; Nong Khai,I AGREE 100% With you & I Deplore it !!! But Yer Can't change the habits of Monkeys when the get behind the steering wheel...!!!

Death certainly changes their habits, for the better I'd  say.

23 hours ago, Spidey said:

Undertaking on a multi lane highway is legal in Thailand. It looked, to me, that the pickup had no intention of using the hard shoulder/innermost lane/ motorcycle lane. The truck driver forced him into that lane and then into the wall.

A deliberate, malicious act by the truck driver who was 100% to blame.

Hah , you actually think that truck drivers look in their mirrors here ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm not a Thai truck driver, so how would I know?

I was, took an HGV test near 50 years back in the UK. We were taught to think about road driver  "plankton heads", in fact we had to look in both door mirrors every 15 seconds, if moving lanes even more so.... ?

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

I was, took an HGV test near 50 years back in the UK. We were taught to think about road driver  "plankton heads", in fact we had to look in both door mirrors every 15 seconds, if moving lanes even more so.... ?

2 sides to every story. As a car driver for over 40 years in the UK, I saw many HGV drivers acting like "plankton heads", particularly on motorways. Tailgating to intimidate car drivers and convoys tailgating each other. 

Seemed to have the attitude that it was their motorway and others were guests on "their " road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

2 sides to every story. As a car driver for over 40 years in the UK, I saw many HGV drivers acting like "plankton heads", particularly on motorways. Tailgating to intimidate car drivers and convoys tailgating each other. 

Seemed to have the attitude that it was their motorway and others were guests on "their " road.

Perhaps, but them doing the OP's thing probably would not happen, plus overtaking on the inside is a no-no there...

Just now, transam said:

Perhaps, but them doing the OP's thing probably would not happen, plus overtaking on the inside is a no-no there...

So a UK trucker has never cut a car up to "teach them a lesson"?

Agree on undertaking, there are so many police patrols and cameras on UK motorways now that you wouldn't have a licence for very long if you made a habit of it.

However, when I took my test in Thailand, I was staggered to be told that undertaking is legal here, even questioned the instructor about it and pointed out how dangerous it was, only to be met by blank stares from the instructor.

You just have to go with the flow here and I have learned to drive like a Thai, it's pedal to the metal for me and undertake at will. Makes driving much more fun.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Agree on undertaking, there are so many police patrols and cameras on UK motorways now that you wouldn't have a licence for very long if you made a habit of it.

However, when I took my test in Thailand, I was staggered to be told that undertaking is legal here, even questioned the instructor about it and pointed out how dangerous it was, only to be met by blank stares from the instructor.

You just have to go with the flow here and I have learned to drive like a Thai, it's pedal to the metal for me and undertake at will. Makes driving much more fun.

In the UK a HGV ride is NOT allowed to use the third lane on a motorway, their fast lane is the middle lane, so we often came up to a middle lane hugger that would not move out of the way, even when we flash lights to ask them to move over to where they should be...Was quite annoying because THEY do not know the FULL rules of the road for all users..

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

In the UK a HGV ride is NOT allowed to use the third lane on a motorway, their fast lane is the middle lane, so we often came up to a middle lane hugger that would not move out of the way, even when we flash lights to ask them to move over to where they should be...Was quite annoying because THEY do not know the FULL rules of the road for all users..

Agree, which is why I only ever use the outside lane on UK motorways.

30 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Even though it's the law to do so on a motorbike?

And I have nearly been hit numerous times when indicating and turning left into my condo entrance by them trying to slide past. So yes, right or wrongly, I stand by my comment. 

• Like 1

Is undertaking still legal in the U.S.?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dunno every ones countries rules..

In mine  a primary rule is to "leave safe breaking distance from the vehicle in front of you ".

The delivery van could have braked hard when the trucks drift was obvious.

Around here where I live , the drivers of this particular type of  vehicle  are more dangerous than any  truck or minivan ..

A friendly delivery driver once told me that he was paid to do his run , and that he could go home when that was done ,  and on a full days pay. When I suggested that could lead to danger , he said that even drivers who had 'clock off ' times did the same so they could have 2 or 3 hours to relax , or,  "see them gick"...

Its quite simple to me...stay well off any large vehicle whose direction you cant predict .

a number of drivers are so slow to move its understandable that drivers try to get ahead of slow witted people.

when the country starts to penalise overly slow drivers - which will also weed ouit the slow witted and the too old to still be driving usually mercedes driver- then many problems will be solved

however, being that driving is a political issue with a dictator hoping to be elected as a real prime minister, the driving issue will not be solved

Watching the video reminds me of all the times the lane in front of me disappeared with little or no warning.  In this case, I can see where the pickup driver's view of the disappearing lane may have been obscured by all the vehicles he was passing, until it was too late.

I'm not claiming stellar driving on anyone's part in the video.  But the design and markings of the road often leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by impulse

16 minutes ago, manchega said:

a number of drivers are so slow to move its understandable that drivers try to get ahead of slow witted people.

when the country starts to penalise overly slow drivers - which will also weed ouit the slow witted and the too old to still be driving usually mercedes driver- then many problems will be solved

Be careful what you wish for.  You're posting to a largely geriatric crowd here.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Be careful what you wish for.  You're posting to a largely geriatric crowd here.

์Now now naughty calling us geriatrics, i am a spritely young 70 year old, who goes jogging 5 ks every morning:cheesy:?

Now pray tell how old you are?

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

์Now now naughty calling us geriatrics, i am a spritely young 70 year old, who goes jogging 5 ks every morning

Now pray tell how old you are?

Well on my way...  And I'm a pretty slow driver, given the requirement to be constantly on the defensive driving in Thailand. 

I know you're kidding, but I can easily see a day where our age will be a deterrent to passing some aspect of the driver's test, while our driving abilities are probably still excellent.  For example, I already fail the peripheral vision test at the DLT, not because my vision is bad, but the lenses of my glasses obscure the one point where the colored dots flash.  I have to move my head just a tiny bit to see them- and that's against the rules.  Yet, my driving record is pretty good since my teen years.