How easy is it to change the name on a flight ticket in Thailand?

davidst01

Some years back my good lady changed her name and flew Thai Airways on the original ticket using her new passport and the name-change documentation.

As I said it was a while back (before 9/11), get her to talk to the airline.

As to how easy to change the name, a lot depends how cheap the ticket was (super discount cheap - no way Somchai).

Depending on the reason you want to change, you may be able to travel with old and new passport. Also if it is a marriage thing you can carry your marriage certificate.

But the airline needs to be notified for approval In advance.

International law states air tickets are not transferrable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I accidentally used my wife's maiden name when buying a ticket a few years ago. She caught the mistake.

1)  Call airline.  A distressed woman said "so sorry, you must refund the ticket."

2) Went to the airport the day before our flight and found someone who said it was possible to use the ticket.

3) We were cautioned that Chinese immigration might not let her in and that we should have a letter from employer stating that [maiden name] and [married name] were the same person and that the employer wanted her in China.

4) The school wrote the letter and sent a scan. I printed it.

5) Went to airport to fly and check-in refused to accept the ticket.

6)  I name dropped the person who said "it's possible" the day before.

7)  Staff phone photoed the letter from the school for Chinese immigration and sent it to the powers that be.

8) Staff had me sign a release of liability in case my wife was refused entry into China or not allowed to board our connecting domestic flight in China. I was presumed to have USD 1,000 for airfare to her next destination, be it in Thailand or China.

9) She cleared Chinese immigration quickly. I had my passport copied, etc.

10) My wife had the bright idea of showing the airline and airport security her expired passport that had her maiden name instead of her current passport with her married name. This worked.

And that was the climax to what had already become a convoluted journey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry but why are you wasting time on here asking for advice when nobody really knows including me. Contact Thai airways ASAP and explain the situation. Tell them you need to change ticket to your wifes married name. If its allowed within the term and conditions of the ticket them great. If not speak to them nicely and tell them how great Thai Airways arde and you intend flying with them again, that might work. Good luck.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 7:15 AM, Andyfez said:

Depending on the reason you want to change, you may be able to travel with old and new passport. Also if it is a marriage thing you can carry your marriage certificate.

But the airline needs to be notified for approval In advance.

International law states air tickets are not transferrable.

Your last point is correct, but this is not a transfer situation.

In Jan this year my wife renewed her passport and after 10 years of marriage decided to have it in her married name. We already had flights booked with BA and when I looked into it found that a change of name due to marriage was allowed and that I should contact the nearest office in Bangkok. I did this and they said no problem, send all the docs and a payment of about 5000 baht. The BA website has said the change was free of charge so I contacted BA direct and the response was that I had to deal with the office in Bangkok. I registered a formal complaint with BA and they agreed that I was entitled to have it done free of charge. I sent copies of the name change docs and passport and it took about 6 weeks for the new tickets to be issued, although the airline did say that name changes were dealt with on an urgency basis and we still had about 3 months to go.

New tickets are required and as posted already the OP should contact the airline as soon as possible.

The wife needs to add my surname on her passport. I stupidly purchased an international flight with the old passport. 

If she gets it renewed can Thai airways change the name on the ticket or is this a cluster F&&k situation?

thanks

i just try to change the name on a air ticket and they said to me once the number of that ticket is issued (which is issued on purchase ) they cant change it however they said i could get the airport tax back with a letter.

Not a name issue but a Gender issue. My Wife became a Mr on one of Etihad Airlines tickets. 

Her ticket was purchased with her air-miles (Mrs), the ticket had her Frequent Flyer number on it.

Etihad customer service was questionable at best... They couldn't work out how the mistake had happened, all was correct when booking the ticket (with her airmails, while logged into my Wife's account). Etihad told me I would have to pay to 're-name' the ticket.

Ultimately, after reading a few webforms of such issues I chanced it traveling with my Wife on the Mr Ticket and we had no issues. 

Names are taken significantly more seriously, I'm not sure if showing the old passport upon check in could be a problem for the Check In or for Immigration when showing the Valid Passport with a name which differs from the Boarding Pass. 

I'd suggest visiting a Thai Airways ticketing office and speaking to someone who can 'make decisions'... 

Most likely they would accept her old passport if it’s not expired OR canceled. US passports when they cancel has two holes ,punched through the passport. 

I had a China visa that didn’t expire for 9 months after my passport needed renewed. (US new passport new number).i has to carry both Passports one for the visa and the new one because other expired. 

Like one person responded above it’s bettee to contact Airlines now

To see what is said. If by phone and they say no then if possible go

in person sometimes in person they’ll do more. 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:11 PM, jkcjag said:

Different airlines, different tickets, different terms and conditions. To change it you would have to ask the airline anyway, so simply just ask the airline if it's possible!

Thai T&C allow name correction prior to check in but do not allow name change. It is a question of would a marital name change be seen as a name correction. I know for a fact that BA allow marital name change as it is still the same person, which is the main issue. As you say the answer lies with the airline.

The name on the ticket must be in possession of a valid passport otherwise the API is false.

You need to check the terms and conditions of the ticket you bought.
You can see that in the “Fare Notes” in your electronic booking receipts.
It will clearly state Name Change allowed - allowed for a fee - or not allowed.

With TG if not booked on the cheapest promotion fare you have a good chance that it is allowed / allowed for a fee.

If not allowed - check how much the re-booking fee is but be aware that the longer you wait to re- book you will also be charged the fare difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect