Can extension of a visa be longer than 1 year long?

In your experience, has that occurred or is it always one year from the end of a visa? I guess I could ask the same about an extension of an extension. Btw, this is NOT factoring in travel and trips, which I am told resets your 90 days reporting. Even so, even if you do travel, is the extension always one year long? In fact, is it the law?

It is important to distinguish between the validity period of a visa, and the maximum permitted permission to stay under a non immigrant entry.

I do not have time to check back, so this is from memory. I believe the maximum allowed validity period for a visa under the law is five years. That is why the Thailand Elite program uses renewable five-year visas when for one of the memberships that are longer than five years. The maximum length of a non immigrant permission to stay (or extension of the permission to stay) as I recall, is one-year, with severely constrained exceptions. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. 

An "extension of stay" valid for 2 years from the date of issue can be obtained if:

a) the company you'll be working for is a BOI-promoted company

AND

b) you'll be working for it's Regional Operating Headquarters (ROH)

I think there maybe other criteria involved, but the above are the two basic pre-requisites.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JestSetter said:

In your experience, has that occurred or is it always one year from the end of a visa?

It depends on the reason for the extension of stay. Most expats are limited to 1 year for the common extensions.

If working or investing it’s possible to get longer extensions. Foreign diplomats/officials can be granted any length of extension. And a residents permit (PR), which is a form of extending a stay, gives indefinite leave to stay.

• Thanks 1