Making your own pizza

marcusarelus

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been making Pizza for 40 years.  Can't do it right at less than 350 c and a stone.  That's why I said let me know if you could cook that hot and had a stone.  My dough recipe is wasted unless you do.  There are a lot of Pizza restaurants who cook like you do but all the good ones have a high temp wood over and a stone floor in it.  Did you wonder why?  Ease of maintenance or good looks?  No.  It is the only way to cook Neapolitan pizza. 

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Been making Pizza for 40 years.  Can't do it right at less than 350 c and a stone.  That's why I said let me know if you could cook that hot and had a stone.  My dough recipe is wasted unless you do.  There are a lot of Pizza restaurants who cook like you do but all the good ones have a high temp wood over and a stone floor in it.  Did you wonder why?  Ease of maintenance or good looks?  No.  It is the only way to cook Neapolitan pizza. 

I guess I sorta make things up as I go along...whatever works and it is very easy to make better pizza than what's commercially available in Thailand as the local offering being mostly inedible...pizza a la tutsiwarrior-iana...only started about a year ago now bein' retired with time on my hands...I was satisfied and it passed the kids' taste test and that's 'good enough fer the government...'

to be honest I couldn't manage a pepsi challenge between a wood fired and a non wood fired item but I noticed that he former are usually served in upscale restaurants usually washed down with a nice tuscan wine and the latter is with screaming kids running around with pitchers of draft beer on the table and jolly adults, etc...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I guess I sorta make things up as I go along...whatever works and it is very easy to make better pizza than what's commercially available in Thailand as the local offering being mostly inedible...pizza a la tutsiwarrior-iana...only started about a year ago now bein' retired with time on my hands...I was satisfied and it passed the kids' taste test and that's 'good enough fer the government...'

to be honest I couldn't manage a pepsi challenge between a wood fired and a non wood fired item but I noticed that he former are usually served in upscale restaurants usually washed down with a nice tuscan wine and the latter is with screaming kids running around with pitchers of draft beer on the table and jolly adults, etc...

Try Hopf Pattaya for Pizza.  They have good wheat beer too.  Not expensive.  Pizza takes 3 or 4 minutes to cook or less and that is one of the secrets to good crust. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:39 AM, marcusarelus said:

Interesting that the video to which you linked indicates 430 Celsius at a minimum.

Have you actually been to Napoli and eaten Pizza there?

In addition, after the debacle of your recommendation of a powdered hard cheese product, containing only 63.7% hard cheese, with the remainder being mainly wood pulp and food starch, I'm not sure that you are in the position to be advising anyone on food preparation.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:16 PM, marcusarelus said:

Try Hopf Pattaya for Pizza.  They have good wheat beer too.  Not expensive.  Pizza takes 3 or 4 minutes to cook or less and that is one of the secrets to good crust. 

It might take 3-4 minutes to cook, but the how long before it is served. I waited 20 minutes last time, and the pizza had obviously been left for a while. And the beer takes ages to pour.

22 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Interesting that the video to which you linked indicates 430 Celsius at a minimum.

Have you actually been to Napoli and eaten Pizza there?

In addition, after the debacle of your recommendation of a powdered hard cheese product, containing only 63.7% hard cheese, with the remainder being mainly wood pulp and food starch, I'm not sure that you are in the position to be advising anyone on food preparation.

The wood pulp you refer to is cellulose.  It is legal to put cellulose on many foods in both Europe and America.  In Parmesan cheese it keeps them from clumping, sticking together.  Post again when you have something productive to add.  I doubt you have ever cooked a pizza. 

On 9/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, sfokevin said:

Back to the OPs question can people post what oven solution they are using for home made pizza?...

On 9/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, sfokevin said:

Back to the OPs question can people post what oven solution they are using for home made pizza?...

We us the basic MEX electric oven fitted in our kitchen. 

About 300C, both bottom and top elements, no stone or bricks, just a tiny amount of sunflower oil on stainless steel trays. 

Pizza bases and canned sauce (imported Italian brand, can't remember the name) bought from Rimping in Chiang Mai, shredded New Zealand Motzarella cheese from Makro Chiang Mai.

Works like a charm, we've had 'Pizza at Home' maybe 50 times in the last 5 years, including many western folks who know good pizza, never one complaint or comment.

My Thai son uses this as a family activity:

- Son and 13 YO old daughter made a check-list of everything needed to make Pizza at home.

- Day before Pizza lunch/dinner 13 YO and 7 YO check the cupboards and make a shopping list.

- Son takes them to the supermarket, the girls put all the stuff in the shopping cart then go to meet their father who waits in the supermarket coffee shop.

- Son goes through shopping cart and rejects most of the extras hidden under the pizza supplies (big tubs of ice cream, chocolates etc etc.

The pizza is great and it's a great family activity with friends. 

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The wood pulp you refer to is cellulose.  It is legal to put cellulose on many foods in both Europe and America.  In Parmesan cheese it keeps them from clumping, sticking together.  Post again when you have something productive to add.  I doubt you have ever cooked a pizza. 

Nope...you won't see cellulose in an equivalent British product. You just make things up and hope that no one will challenge you.

In fact I looked at the cheapest of the cheap equivalent in the UK and they don't utilise an anti-caking agent at all.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-dried-grated-hard-cheese-80g

Your credibility is shot here.  

All you are doing is illustrating how poor the product to which you are used.

8 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Nope...you won't see cellulose in an equivalent British product. You just make things up and hope that no one will challenge you.

In fact I looked at the cheapest of the cheap equivalent in the UK and they don't utilise an anti-caking agent at all.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-dried-grated-hard-cheese-80g

Your credibility is shot here.  

All you are doing is illustrating how poor the product to which you are used.

Sainsbury, I liked that store went there almost everyday for a couple of weeks.  But the cheese you are referring to is not a British product, its made in Italy.

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

We us the basic MEX electric oven fitted in our kitchen. 

About 300C, both bottom and top elements, no stone or bricks, just a tiny amount of sunflower oil on stainless steel trays. 

Pizza bases and canned sauce (imported Italian brand, can't remember the name) bought from Rimping in Chiang Mai, shredded New Zealand Motzarella cheese from Makro Chiang Mai.

Works like a charm, we've had 'Pizza at Home' maybe 50 times in the last 5 years, including many western folks who know good pizza, never one complaint or comment.

My Thai son uses this as a family activity:

- Son and 13 YO old daughter made a check-list of everything needed to make Pizza at home.

- Day before Pizza lunch/dinner 13 YO and 7 YO check the cupboards and make a shopping list.

- Son takes them to the supermarket, the girls put all the stuff in the shopping cart then go to meet their father who waits in the supermarket coffee shop.

- Son goes through shopping cart and rejects most of the extras hidden under the pizza supplies (big tubs of ice cream, chocolates etc etc.

The pizza is great and it's a great family activity with friends.

I make Neapolitan pizza and would have to make the dough.  I have tried pre baking crusts.  Which are OK but not as good as fresh but will do in a pinch.  A company pre baked below look a bit like mine.  Making your own dough is the first step to a professional like Pizza but you will need a stone.  300 c might get it if you preheat for an hour. 

pre-baked-pizza-dough-shells.jpg

I use my MEX "easybake"...350-375 deg with the convection (fan) on.  Precook the dough (pizza base), lots of olive oil in the pan (makes it slightly crispy on the bottom).  Load the sauce, toppings and cheese, bake again until the cheese is the way you like it.  Bubbling and starting to brown on the high points, works well.  I make them once or twice a month...got it perfected, for/with the equipment I have.  Would prefer to order one at a decent pizza shop, but......no such thing close enough.

Edit: The dough is home made (found a recipe online, it took a few tries, to find one that works the way I like)

4 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Sainsbury, I liked that store went there almost everyday for a couple of weeks.  But the cheese you are referring to is not a British product, its made in Italy.

Parmesan cheese is not a critical product for pizza.  You can put it on or not.  Probably would not taste the difference with tomato sauce and sausage or some kind of meat and basil and and mozzarella.   

7 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

I use my MEX "easybake"...350-375 deg with the convection (fan) on.  Precook the dough (pizza base), lots of olive oil in the pan (makes it slightly crispy on the bottom).  Load the sauce, toppings and cheese, bake again until the cheese is the way you like it.  Bubbling and starting to brown on the high points, works well.  I make them once or twice a month...got it perfected, for/with the equipment I have.  Would prefer to order one at a decent pizza shop, but......no such thing close enough

375 C or F?

wow, you guys really into making home-made pizza. Good luck. About 18 years ago I bought a book about building a brick oven . It was written by a man named Scot, cannot remember his full name. It was a good book with lots of photos and diagrams, measurements etc.,. This book got everything you want to know about building brick oven and sourdough breads.

I was making a lot of sourdough starter , sometimes failure sometimes good. I didn't make the stone oven because I don't have a backyard. I am in a condo. I cooked my bread in electric oven , of course it wasn't so good. The sourdough makes all the different in taste. I guess with the stone oven it would be perfect. So I only got half of the good thing.

1 minute ago, madusa said:

wow, you guys really into making home-made pizza. Good luck. About 18 years ago I bought a book on making stone oven . It was written by a man named Scot, cannot remember his full name. It was a good book with lots of photos and diagrams, measurements etc., It's a book about making bread using stone oven you in your backyard. This book got everything you want to know about making stone oven and sourdough breads.

I was making a lot of sourdough starter , sometimes failure sometimes good. I didn't make the stone oven because I don't have a backyard. I am in a condo. I cooked my bread in electric oven , of course it wasn't so good. The sourdough makes all the different in taste. I guess with the stone oven it would be perfect. So I only got half of the good thing.

I have a rectangular stone that fits in the oven.  Works fine.  You do need a pizza peel or at least I do. 

Archived