Making your own pizza

marcusarelus

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The pizza king likes eating puffy burnt crusts with undercooked bottoms, gluey mats of parmesan cheese, unevenly spread toppings and don't hold back with the basil stems. Has been making pizza for 40 years but has to rely on pictures of pizzas and pizza stones downloaded from the internet to illustrate his handiwork? Hmmmm. #What's wrong with this pizza?

The photo below which you made up the bad stuff about is from.  J. Kenji López-Alt is the chief culinary consultant of Serious Eats and author of the James Beard Award–nominated column The Food Lab, in which he unravels the science of home cooking. A restaurant-trained chef and former editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, Kenji released his first book, The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science, in 2015, which went on to become a New York Times best-seller and the recipient of a James Beard Award, and was named Cookbook of the Year in 2015 by the International Association of Culinary Professionals.

?

neo.jpeg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I make my own puzza in a regular gas oven. It does not lust the temp but at full heat it is certainly more than 350.

No stone.

I lightly cook the crust first. Then add the sauce and cheese and cook fully. If I don't lightly pre cook the crust it will not be crisp enough.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

350 F or 350C ?  Fahrenheit or Centigrade?  You know you wrote you are cooking at more than 662 Fahrenheit?  The stone preheated will make the pre cooking unnecessary.  Pizza stones are cheap. 

350 F or 350C ?  Fahrenheit or Centigrade?  You know you wrote you are cooking at more than 662 Fahrenheit?  The stone preheated will make the pre cooking unnecessary.  Pizza stones are cheap. 

Fahrenheit. I would estimate it reaches about 400 - 425 F.

Where does one buy a pizza stone?

When I googled "J Kenji Alt pizza" I see tons of awesome looking pizzas; but none that looked like the unappetizing picture you posted. To each is own. My point is that you seem to think you already know everything there is to know about pizza making, so I'm left wondering what the point of this thread was.

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Fahrenheit. I would estimate it reaches about 400 - 425 F.

Where does one buy a pizza stone?

I got mine from Lazada they also come with a pizza peel if I remember correctly which you need to put them on the stone.  Sometimes I use baking paper which makes if foolproof not to drop the pizza.  500 to 1000 baht.  Or any ceramic stone as long as it's not glazed.  My first one I got at the hardware store tile dpt. But watch out for chemicals in the stone if purchased that way. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12x14-355-12x15-pizza-stone-i111745842-s114253637.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.167e5d8djyeMN1&search=1

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

When I googled "J Kenji Alt pizza" I see tons of awesome looking pizzas; but none that looked like the unappetizing picture you posted. To each is own. My point is that you seem to think you already know everything there is to know about pizza making, so I'm left wondering what the point of this thread was.

The pizza looks good to me I would question your motivation for flaming as opposed to quality of the pizza in the photo.  See link.

I started the thread because another poster suggested I was sealing his Parmesan cheese thread.  I didn't think I was but I tried to make him feel better.  I learn stuff all the time.  I'm learning something (I think) about MEX ovens available here in Thailand and they can cook hot enough to make pizza.  There might be a kindred pizza soul here in Thailand who has an oven that cooks hot enough, a pizza stone and likes sourdough and I'll learn even more.  So I'll brave the slings and arrows of people like you to try and find that other Pizza heart.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html

410 degrees celsius min for a proper wood fired pizza....

I attended a really good workshop in Lamphun recently, learning how to build a pizza oven and also different cooking techniques for the ovens (pizza, meat dishes and breads)
Very interesting and fun course, over 2 days...
That may be ideal. But my 2 stage cooking at lower temp does the job ok. The result is still better than anything I get at a restaurant. (I favor NY style not Neopolitan).

Just now, cornishcarlos said:

I attended a really good workshop in Lamphun recently, learning how to build a pizza oven and also different cooking techniques for the ovens (pizza, meat dishes and breads)

Do you have any photos of the pizza oven you would like to share ? Your own or from the course.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Completely agree.  At 350 C I have to preheat my stone in the oven or an hour and it's still not quite hot enough to get exactly what I want.  Pre baking or par baking seems to make it worse. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

The pizza looks good to me I would question your motivation for flaming as opposed to quality of the pizza in the photo.  See link.

I started the thread because another poster suggested I was sealing his Parmesan cheese thread.  I didn't think I was but I tried to make him feel better.  I learn stuff all the time.  I'm learning something (I think) about MEX ovens available here in Thailand and they can cook hot enough to make pizza.  There might be a kindred pizza soul here in Thailand who has an oven that cooks hot enough, a pizza stone and likes sourdough and I'll learn even more.  So I'll brave the slings and arrows of people like you to try and find that other Pizza heart.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html

I appreciate the thread.  Get hungry to reading and learn a thing or two.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I cook my pizza at 170c for 10 minutes, any higher and the toppings burn.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Actually the dough is cooking too slow.  If you cooked at 400c the dough and toppings would both cook at the same time and Pizza would be ready in 4 or 5 min.

As I said previously, most domestic oven do not go higher than about 250C. And if you have to heat your stone up for an hour for 5 minutes cooking, you could get one flown over from Napoli !!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

As I said previously, most domestic oven do not go higher than about 250C. And if you have to heat your stone up for an hour for 5 minutes cooking, you could get one flown over from Napoli !!!!!!!

1500 watts 3.98baht  per kwh about 6 baht per hour.  Check my numbers.  I have never figured it before. 

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

1500 watts 3.98baht  per kwh about 6 baht per hour.  Check my numbers.  I have never figured it before. 

It was meant tongue in cheek. But which domestic oven CAN go as hot as you suggest please?

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Thian said:

I saw the in Paragon and they were close to 100 euro iirc....

Can we not use a piece of granite from the tile-shop? Or marble..

I've never tried one.  Ceramic holds heat and that is what you are trying to do.  Avoid any glaze or chemicals and try it.  I've used unglazed quarry tile. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've never tried one.  Ceramic holds heat and that is what you are trying to do.  Avoid any glaze or chemicals and try it.  I've used unglazed quarry tile. 

Well the granite tiles 20mm thick are cheap and unglazed i guess..it's pure granite. They sure will store heat but don't know if they can crack in the oven...

I ate a lot of pizza's in Italy but i still prefer deep pan pizza superdeluxe from pizzacompany. And the food/service we got in 3-4* hotels i better not even comment on that. Pizza is my favorit food in Italy though, they are sure not bad but i like the crispy pan pizza the most.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Well the granite tiles 20mm thick are cheap and unglazed i guess..it's pure granite. They sure will store heat but don't know if they can crack in the oven...

I ate a lot of pizza's in Italy but i still prefer deep pan pizza superdeluxe from pizzacompany. And the food/service we got in 3-4* hotels i better not even comment on that. Pizza is my favorit food in Italy though, they are sure not bad but i like the crispy pan pizza the most.

You don't want a stone for deep dish

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You don't want a stone for deep dish

I see, actually i don't know how they bake those...in a deep pan i guess but that might also be a thick iron pan which can store a lot of heat?

Archived