Can anyone recommend a Bangkok lawyer with fair fees and competency in property law?

I have an issue on a property in Bangkok and need a honest, reliable attorney that charges reasonable fees and is successful in his cases.

Not too  much to ask is it????  Yeah, I know this is Thailand, but sometimes one has to  roll the dice. Any help appreciated. 

For me it matters. I don't want to travel to the far corners of the galaxy, when I can conveniently access most Bangkok locations. Thailand is not known as the home of the best and the brightest and my personal experience confirms that  point of view. I love the people and the country, but work quality here is always, always suspect. I am betting on the point that most of the brightest concentrate where the money is, just like the rest of the world. That does not mean that a shinning star does not exist elsewhere in the country. For me convenience, concentration of talent, and probability  of success will make BKK my point of focus. Just one mans opinion, and I have the battle scars earned through experience in this country. Oh, I am under no illusion that success is a guarantee with BKK lawyers or any other worker class in BKK.

I can't recommend a lawyer and myself have had to seek legal aid. Fees always seem to be plucked  from the air.  I asked several lawyers for a full breakdown of the fees they were quoting between 150.000-200.000 baht.  Guess what,  not one would/could answer me.  Biggest trick is to get a large fee upfront,  then keep asking for more.  Good luck in your search. 

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, try to find the cheapest one you can, and make sure they’re desperate enough to take the work with no retainer...

It would be ok if there was transparency in their charges but as usual its just a figure out of the sky. Oh, and my legal aid lawyer is doing a sterling job. I know someone that paid almost 500,000 to get back a car that was only worth the same. Once a retainer is paid, its more more more. On a different need I even offered lawyers a  percentage of what they were supposedly trying to get for me but even though that was worth five times their initial quote they were not interested.

It would be ok if there was transparency in their charges but as usual its just a figure out of the sky. Oh, and my legal aid lawyer is doing a sterling job. I know someone that paid almost 500,000 to get back a car that was only worth the same. Once a retainer is paid, its more more more. On a different need I even offered lawyers a  percentage of what they were supposedly trying to get for me but even though that was worth five times their initial quote they were not interested.

Again, the people I have worked with have been nothing but professional, and as I recall, the invoices were detailed as would be expected.

How many attorneys have you paid retainers to?

In any event, I hope it everything works out well for you.
  • Like 1

Well my story is a  little different. I read Thai civil code to understand the propositions that applied in my case. Mostly, I asked lots of questions and tried to determine what the answers meant. I would tactfully call bullshit on my lawyer when he was not being clear or doing his job. This did not seem to phase the legal team. It was business as usual. Since we are in Thailand I was respectful in my demeanor. When I finally figured it out the minute details my lawyer fired me. Today, I picked up all the monies I paid  toward the detailed steps of the case that were not executed and the results of the work I paid for. Fair enough. 

I take nothing a face value. The old lawyer used  a property valuations firm to a report on the property in question. They came in with a number significantly under a 2012 offer I had from two architects. I  found a valuation firm that is arguably one of the finest in BKK and they were right on the target with the number I had  projected. Well the story goes on and on. I think the owner of the firm was too sensitive to me calling his selection incompetent. 

At this point all the issues are finely tuned  regarding how to proceed with this case. A new legal team I am considering is smelling the money and been aggressive in their service, well organized, and willing to discuss details of case cost, and work out an agreeable solution.

Lesson learned for me is one needs to know local legal codes that apply, what they mean, and be finely tuned on what evidence is needed to win the case.  The court room is like a boxing ring. Don't enter if you are not trained to fight. Typically, lawyers will tell you that the case is easy to win. Give me money........ In the end, one can find out  that case law was clear that you were going to lose and you were the only one that did not know that. It happened to me in the USA. It is the operating mode in the legal profession. Most lawyers have families to feed and your are the feeding pot. 

Thanks to all for your comments. Will check out some of the advice given. Also, will check back to gather any new perspectives.

Edited by Biker Boy
forgot thanks

Well my story is a  little different. I read Thai civil code to understand the propositions that applied in my case. Mostly, I asked lots of questions and tried to determine what the answers meant. I would tactfully call bullshit on my lawyer when he was not being clear or doing his job. This did not seem to phase the legal team. It was business as usual. Since we are in Thailand I was respectful in my demeanor. When I finally figured it out the minute details my lawyer fired me. Today, I picked up all the monies I paid  toward the detailed steps of the case that were not executed and the results of the work I paid for. Fair enough. 

I take nothing a face value. The old lawyer used  a property valuations firm to a report on the property in question. They came in with a number significantly under a 2012 offer I had from two architects. I  found a valuation firm that is arguably one of the finest in BKK and they were right on the target with the number I had  projected. Well the story goes on and on. I think the owner of the firm was too sensitive to me calling his selection incompetent. 

At this point all the issues are finely tuned  regarding how to proceed with this case. A new legal team I am considering is smelling the money and been aggressive in their service, well organized, and willing to discuss details of case cost, and work out an agreeable solution.

Lesson learned for me is one needs to know local legal codes that apply, what they mean, and be finely tuned on what evidence is needed to win the case.  The court room is like a boxing ring. Don't enter if you are not trained to fight. Typically, lawyers will tell you that the case is easy to win. Give me money........ In the end, one can find out  that case law was clear that you were going to lose and you were the only one that did not know that. It happened to me in the USA. It is the operating mode in the legal profession. Most lawyers have families to feed and your are the feeding pot. 

Thanks to all for your comments. Will check out some of the advice given. Also, will check back to gather any new perspectives.

I glad you found the new lawyer you were looking for, and that they are working out so much better.

Every real estate lawyer i have used including ICLT, DLA Piper, Bakers among others have always been professional. I have not always agreed with their fees but they are always fastidious about itemizing them! Normally they itemize everything and you can then negotiate down from there.

As with any firm it often depends on which lawyer you actually get as like all there are good and bad within every firm.