Who's been eating my Pop Tarts!? Thai post office in the dock again

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twice a year on my birthday and Christmas, I get a box from dear old Mom.

Never been tampered with. I don't waste my time with pop-tarts of course, I get Twizzlers, Miss Vicky's Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar chips, and Hawkins Cheezies and other assorted novelties.

I've ordered a ton on ebay without issue, just the occasional tax.

Never a problem with Thai Post. I always get it sent through post offices never courier.

No complaints.

12 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

I have had few problems with Thai Post.  It is preferred to using any of the major carriers like Fedex and UPS.  I order a lot of used items from eBay and despite giving the invoices they constantly say the amount is too low.  Cheap is the reason I use eBay!  Too make a very long story short the Customs and taxes almost always exceed the value of the items I purchased.  

I had 2 items of value to disappear via Thai Post.  Sadly for the thief I do not see how they can use old non-working tube radios and parts!

If you get it for free then 50 baht is a profit. ??

11 hours ago, webfact said:

No idea, said the posties. But you can go and formally complain to the Bang Saen office if you want, they suggested.

Yeah, right. As if that would lead to anything. If there is something Thais never miss out, it's 'free' food, even if they have to steal it out of other people's parcels...

Years ago the Thai Post had to admit, that 27% of the registered mail got "lost" between arrival Thailand and the consignee within Thailand. 

This has improved drastically meanwhile; the mail arrives yet more than once was opened by non-officials (Thai customs reseals packages with a corresponding tape) and content was partly/completely missing). 

Consequence of it is, having it mailed to a depot in Singapore or Hong Kong and get it hand carried; no mice, rats, snakes or ghosts fiddling around with shipments not consigned to them 8-) 

I see someone posted earlier about irregular postal deliveries here.

I kept check for a few months a year or so back. We had one delivery of mail per month. The number of items per delivery in each month were: 13, 7, 3, 3, 7, 16.

Sometimes we had two months worth of TOT or AIS bills in the same delivery.

You're not telling me that the mail isn't 'saved up' until the postman delivers it in one hit?

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I heard that many times, I order more online then most get plenty of packages all under my own name. I can't say it attracts much attention. In my area I would say your good advice is an old wives tale. That being said the post varies a lot per area so it might be true in your area. I do get taxed once in a while.. but usually on big expensive items.

Just received an other 5 kg of old Dutch cheese.. i often get that and almost never do I get taxed.

What does ordering online or paying taxes have to do with the OP?

I’ve had several packages disappear (maybe 15-20%) never gotten one oppened. I’ve used USPS and DHL......only taxed 1 time in last 20 years (1-3 times a year) Granted I’ve never sent anything valuable. 

This doesn't happen in the U.S.  Rather, the package would vanish, end of story.  Things missing from a parcel that has been tampered with will involve complaints, evidence, inquiries, etc.  Much easier to say "package?  what package?"  "Are you sure you sent it via USPS?  Or did you send it UPS?"

When I was in New York City, I sent a teddy to a friend who was graduating from her University (and no, I'm not a pedo, I'm 34 now so I was pretty young at that point too) and I tracked it through US Customs but it never ended up arriving on her door.  Only two possibilities.  
1) It was lost...
2) Someone decided their daughter/son needed it more.
She was pretty upset about that...

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Don't know if tracked and signed with a list of contents pasted on the outside would help.

My friend sent lots of chocolate to his school teacher wife who used to give it to the school kids.

last lot he sent got checked by customs and they demanded huge duty for it as they said it was a luxury item.

About $30 per bar duty they wanted, his wife told them it was for the school kids, but they would not budge, so she told them to enjoy.

9 hours ago, Puccini said:

What does ordering online or paying taxes have to do with the OP?

It has everything to do with how the post office works, plus it was a reply to an other member paying taxes. Face it things don't always stick exactly to the OP. If you spend more time on forums you would know that (no offence ment)

22 hours ago, robblok said:

I heard that many times, I order more online then most get plenty of packages all under my own name. I can't say it attracts much attention. In my area I would say your good advice is an old wives tale. That being said the post varies a lot per area so it might be true in your area. I do get taxed once in a while.. but usually on big expensive items.

Just received an other 5 kg of old Dutch cheese.. i often get that and almost never do I get taxed.

That's true if you are living in or around Bangkok.

It's another deal if you're living in the provinces in a small town.

The mail after arriving at Swampy is distributed to different mail centers in Bangkok so no problems if you are living there.

From Bangkok to the mail center in the province where you're living.

Arrives by bus in big sacks and be emptied on the floor of the mail center which than be sorted by girls and boys who are sitting on the floor around the pile of mail by postcode of your town.

By bus or passenger van to the post office of your town where the mail will be sorted by address in the same manner.

That's where the problems start because in the mail center and the small town office these mail sorters don't read or speak English and in most cases will throw aside mail with an address written in English.

I've been fighting Thai Post by e-mail about undelivered mail but according to them was it my fault and for the rest " We don't know".

90% of my mail is not delivered and they even delivered an EMS package to the wrong address.

Worst post system in the world.

I live in Chiangmai, I can not receive all of the parcels  from outside Thailand . They were all missing . I asked the post office, they said they should be posted by EMS, otherwise they don,t know what happened. It means the ordinary post does not exit in Thailand anymore. Everything should be posted by EMS. I deliberately posted something which I did not want from here by ordinary post to see if it will arrive , NO it was missing, 

Archived