Who's been eating my Pop Tarts!? Thai post office in the dock again

webfact

11 minutes ago, DLock said:

What would happen if you laced, say Pop Tarts, with laxatives...or even rat poison, and someone stole and ate them and died?

...not that I'm thinking about...just wondering out loud.

Your diet for quite a few years would be rice and a couple of small bread rolls a day.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems weird that whoever did it would go for the poptarts, which are available in many shops in Thailand. I receive several packages with food and candy from Thailand Post every year and nothing has ever disappeared.

Hopefully they'll actually do something about the thieving pigs who are doing this.

Hard to tell but the inside looks really messy. Seems to be chocolate everywhere. I doubt humans did that. I once received a shipment of peanut butter from a Thai company that was destroyed by rats. They ate right through the box!

15 yrs ago, I sent 20 xmas cards...I got returned 20 back....but, but, but, only received 1...I was told by Thai friend that P O thieves open looking for money.....

Needless to say,  I never sent any more after that thieving exercise ....One gets the odd prob in OZ but, never, never, on the grand style the Thais take pride in....

I've never had a parcel sent to me that was opened by the post office or Customs, without me being there at the time.
I rarely get food through the mail (have a hard time finding places to order from that will ship to here). I used to order the Crystal Light drink mix through Amazon but for some reason they won't ship it to Thailand anymore because it is "food". (Yeah, lol at that.)

I've had to go to the Customs Office in Laem Chabang a few times in the past to pick up parcels and pay extra customs fees. Sometimes on motorcycle parts, sometimes on shipments of Crystal Light (back a couple years ago when they'd still ship it here). 

The parcels were always sealed when I got to the Customs office and they'd open the package in front of me and verify the contents. Then I'd go pay the extra fees and be on my way (usually).

But as some have mentioned, don't use UPS or DHL or FedEx if you can help it. They use 3rd party Customs Brokers to process the packages and it seems they always charge the maximum duties and then add on their own fees as well.
Registered Mail seems to be the best way to go for most things (mail and parcels) and keep the costs down. Not sure if they have a set "limit" but it does seem that "cheaper" packages (under $50ish) usually go through without delay or hassle but more expensive ones ($100+) get banged up for additional duties. Ones between $50-100 seem to be hit or miss as to whether or not they'll get flagged for extra duties.

I've had regular mail go missing as well but it's hard to say where it went missing. I've had mail from Revenue Canada that arrived 3 months late because Canada Post sent it to Taiwan instead of Thailand (it was stamped "misdirected to Taiwan" on the envelope when it finally arrived).

I also just received a birthday card that the g/f sent me from Germany.
Last May.
She swore up and down that she'd sent me "something" and I thought she was joking. Then, in early Sept, a letter arrived in my mailbox. A letter that had been opened and then resealed by the German Post Office. Seems someone had stolen the envelope and opened it, hoping to find money in it. Somehow the German Post office found it, sealed it and sent it to me.

(Had that same thing happen in Canada as well many years ago, for a birthday card my dad had sent me. It arrived, months later, in a sealed plastic bag. Couldn't figure out why dad had put the envelope in the bag or how he'd had it stamped by the post office before putting it into the bag. Turns out, the Post Office had recovered a whack of mail that had been stolen by an employee who'd rifled through it all looking for money/credit cards/etc. The RCMP recovered the mail and when it wasn't needed as evidence anymore, the Post office attached a note to the envelope, sealed it in a bag and sent it to me.

So it's not just Thailand that has a problem with the regular mail ! Happens in "developed" countries as well !

Never had any problems with Thai post in all my years here. A first time for everything I suppose. However, I did get ripped off with two items sent from the US via Fedex a couple of years ago. The electronic item was charged at a third of the price of the small replacement stand base.

My Father died recently (aged 95). My brother sent me the last photo taken of him, along with a copy of his will as well as papers concerning his Lawyers, and the "home" he had gone into. The large envelope was sent by  registered mail. It was signed for by the office staff in the building where I own my condo.

It was like a paper mache pie inside the envelope when I opened it. All the papers were stuck to the picture (pic. was same size as the envelope and placed on cardboard with a sign on the outside of the envelope "Do not bend".

It appears the envelope, or at least it,'s contents got drenched  in water, rain maybe, and all stuck to the face of the picture. I can only see the top of my Father's head and all the writing on the papers is almost illegable.

I got the name of the post office that delivered it but after 18 yrs. in Thailand I decided not to undergo the torment

of following it up.

I wouldn't be able for the "blame game trail" that would ensue.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That does remind me of being on a truck trip across Africa thirty years ago. One mother sent her daughter on the trip a parcel, to be collected at a local post office in central Africa somewhere.

On the customs declaration on the outside of the package, the contents were clearly listed: Clothes, underwear, sweets, £50 cash.

The only item missing was...

I was with Zambia customs in the early 70s and witnessed the arrival of a large wooden case (about half the size of a 20ft container) of household goods and furniture arriving from Dar es Salaam.  When opened it was found to be completely empty.  The people didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

4 hours ago, Myran said:

Seems weird that whoever did it would go for the poptarts, which are available in many shops in Thailand. I receive several packages with food and candy from Thailand Post every year and nothing has ever disappeared.

Hopefully they'll actually do something about the thieving pigs who are doing this.

Where can you find pop tarts in Thailand 

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

It may have been opened by Customs when it first arrived as it was food they may have needed to check the contents for hidden contraband and maybe a taste test by as the article said person or persons unknown .

"Hummm.  Dog alert on package."  <open>
"Ahhh, pop tart.  We check."  <rippppp>
'Maybe pop tart filled with drugs.  You check!'  <munch munch munch>
"Hummmm.  Not sure.  You check too."  <chomp chomp chomp>
'Need more checking.'
"Agree."  <munch, chomp, munch, chomp>
'All clear?'
"All clear!  Close it up."  <zippppppppp tape tape tape>
'No problem, they blame on post office for sure.'
<laugh, laugh laugh>

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

It may have been opened by Customs when it first arrived as it was food they may have needed to check the contents for hidden contraband and maybe a taste test by as the article said person or persons unknown .

In which case there should be a customs sticker stating it had been opened officially & samples taken for testing.

Was sure of that, although several debit and credit cards have disappeared even though they were sent ems from Aus. Thankfully not activated cards, Australia post says they can only track within their borders - crock of shit as far as I am concerned. The bank now very kindly couriers my cards free of charge.

6 hours ago, seajae said:

I have had new visa cards stolen by the post office and when I complained the head person told me they were aware of it happening but couldnt stop it, they knew who was doing it as well but again wouldnt fire them. Anything going through thai post is a risk as the workers are not held accountable, while this does also happen in the west, Thailand has a much bigger problem with it as can be seen here, workers know they can get away with it so they dont care. I have watched them sorting packages at the PO as well, they throw them onto the floor in different areas, explains why a gift from my daughter was smashed when it arrived,  their is simply no responsibility taken  at all 

Too true. Visa in the UK refuse to send my new card to Thailand and I have to use my sister's address there to get it. And in my area last year many of us were not receiving any mail at all and it transpired that the postie just hadn't bothered to deliver and had destroyed it. It had gone on for six months, and nothing happened to him. He retired shortly after, and his replacement was as bad and at least was fired. Now the third one also doesn't deliver. The only mail I do get is a box of tea every few weeks from Ireland, but even with that we have to go to his house to collect it as he's too lazy to deliver.

As for other mail, in 18 months we have probably received less than 10 items, with just the odd tv or internet receipt getting through. I've had a very important letter from my UK bank go missing which almost caused me to lose my account, similarly a Thai Amex bill that wasn't received which they, fortunately, called me about. I am afraid of not receiving letters asking me to confirm I'm not dead yet from three pension sources. But there is absolutely nothing, nothing at all, we can do about it. Unless a letter has been registered they just shrug their shoulders and give that inane Thai grin.

50 minutes ago, saltire1 said:

I was with Zambia customs in the early 70s and witnessed the arrival of a large wooden case (about half the size of a 20ft container) of household goods and furniture arriving from Dar es Salaam.  When opened it was found to be completely empty.  The people didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

True story from a good few years ago

Guy I worked with was allowed a crate/box of substantial size to send back to UK at company cost.

Couple of days before he and crate were leaving we went round for a few goodbye beers.

The crate was full of cheap stuff and cheap household items. When we asked why are you sending that crap back he just said ' check the wood the crate's made from.' The bottom of the crate/box was one piece and quite large. The rest quite wide and solid planks.

Rare and expensive tropical hardwood worth a mint in UK.

His brother was a cabinet maker and reckoned there was a dining room table and six chairs in the wood. ??

True story from a good few years ago
Guy I worked with was allowed a crate/box of substantial size to send back to UK at company cost.
Couple of days before he and crate were leaving we went round for a few goodbye beers.
The crate was full of cheap stuff and cheap household items. When we asked why are you sending that crap back he just said ' check the wood the crate's made from.' The bottom of the crate/box was one piece and quite large. The rest quite wide and solid planks.
Rare and expensive tropical hardwood worth a mint in UK.
His brother was a cabinet maker and reckoned there was a dining room table and six chairs in the wood. [emoji38][emoji38]

Now that’s thinking outside of the box!

1 hour ago, yougivemebaby said:

Where can you find pop tarts in Thailand 

I've seen them in plenty of places throughout the years, though I don't buy them myself. At the top of my head, Villa Market and the grocery section of The Mall Bang Kapi in Bangkok.

I sent a really well packed bottle of Gentleman Jack (bought in another country) to a friend in Hat Yai and the bottle was mysteriously broken. I asked for it back to examine it but it never came.  Methinks it was xrayed or shake tested and then deliberately broken and the package contents strained through a pair of pantyhose.   And then wasted, mixed with the cheapest available cola by a Philistine.  If I ever do that again I will send it inside a plastic bag with couple of hundred grams of salt,  soap powder or something else unpalatable. 

I have had few problems with Thai Post.  It is preferred to using any of the major carriers like Fedex and UPS.  I order a lot of used items from eBay and despite giving the invoices they constantly say the amount is too low.  Cheap is the reason I use eBay!  Too make a very long story short the Customs and taxes almost always exceed the value of the items I purchased.  

I had 2 items of value to disappear via Thai Post.  Sadly for the thief I do not see how they can use old non-working tube radios and parts!

Archived