UK Conservative eurosceptics fail to agree Brexit plan B - FT

webfact

UK Conservative eurosceptics fail to agree Brexit plan B - FT

2018-09-11T062646Z_1_LYNXNPEE8A082_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-HAMMOND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Brexit campaigner Jacob Rees-Mogg talks to the media outside the Houses of Parliament after David Davis resigns from government, in London, Britain, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Simon Dawson/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - A plan by eurosceptics in Prime Minister Theresa May's party to publish an alternative plan for the United Kingdom's future relationship with the European Union has fallen apart, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.

The United Kingdom is due to leave the European Union on March 29, yet little is clear: There is, so far, no full exit deal, rivals to Prime Minister Theresa May are circling and some lawmakers are pushing for a rerun of the 2016 referendum.

Michel Barnier, the EU's chief negotiator, said on Monday that a Brexit deal was possible "within six or eight weeks" if negotiators were realistic in their demands.

Brexit supporters in May's Conservative Party who want a more distant relationship with the EU last week circulated a 140-page draft alternative Brexit plan.

But Conservative lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg, head of the pro-Brexit European Research Group, which led the work on the alternative plan, said the full document would not be published. "The truth is that we reconsidered," he added.

An influential Brexiteer in May's party, Steve Baker, said on Monday that 80 or more of her lawmakers are prepared to vote against her Brexit plan.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-11

1 minute ago, champers said:

And win the football?

A PM who never wanted Brexit on the first place (we think) or Brexiteers who promised the earth during their campaign because they didn't beleive they would win. Since they won the Brexiteers have failed to grasp the initiative and now we know why (well, we knew already).

Gawd 'elp us!

Disaster waiting economically perhaps,  including the football without our 'arry tonight

"But Conservative lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg, head of the pro-Brexit European Research Group, which led the work on the alternative plan, said the full document would not be published. "The truth is that we reconsidered," he added."

The only point that took me slightly by suprise was the above comment.

We all know that the vast majority of uk politicians supported 'remain' (although quite a few in a less than whole hearted fashion - for differing reasons....) - but I'd love to know why the "pro-Brexit European Research Group" decided not to publish the full document, and their reasons for 'reconsidering'.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

My guess would be, because they still don't know what they want.

My guess would be that they know what they proposed is going to result in a nasty mess and there's no way of getting around it. So better not to speak of it until it's a fait accompli.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Where are TVF’s Brexiteers in this thread, with the exception of DD who spotted the critical comment in the OP, they seem to have evaporated.

The coin appears to have finally dropped hence they have now blended into the shrubbery, like collaborators after the liberation, what me, a Brexiteer, oh no monsieur, you are mistaken.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Where are TVF’s Brexiteers in this thread, with the exception of DD who spotted the critical comment in the OP, they seem to have evaporated.

I think you're being very unkind. They're at home, in bed, crying.

We need to remember that it can be very unpleasant for people when ideology encounters reality (or, to put it in less elevated terms, when prejudice and bank balance conflict).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"But Conservative lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg, head of the pro-Brexit European Research Group, which led the work on the alternative plan, said the full document would not be published. "The truth is that we reconsidered," he added."

The only point that took me slightly by suprise was the above comment.

We all know that the vast majority of uk politicians supported 'remain' (although quite a few in a less than whole hearted fashion - for differing reasons....) - but I'd love to know why the "pro-Brexit European Research Group" decided not to publish the full document, and their reasons for 'reconsidering'.

Reconsidered because their proposals don't hold water and nobody on the leave side were prepared to put their name to them and end up being ridiculed.

Fifty Eurosceptic MPs met last night to discuss how to remove May.  I am sure it has been done many times before but this time it was done openly.  However!  Johnson, Rees Mogg and IDS weren't there.  The main back stabbers were no where to be seen.

You need 48 letters of no confidence to trigger a leadership challenge and maybe that will come.  Who knows with this shower?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Reconsidered because their proposals don't hold water and nobody on the leave side were prepared to put their name to them and end up being ridiculed.

Fifty Eurosceptic MPs met last night to discuss how to remove May.  I am sure it has been done many times before but this time it was done openly.  However!  Johnson, Rees Mogg and IDS weren't there.  The main back stabbers were no where to be seen.

You need 48 letters of no confidence to trigger a leadership challenge and maybe that will come.  Who knows with this shower?

The irony is, the Brexit referendum only came about as an attempt to prevent the Tories engaging in a bitter I nternecine bloodbath over the UK’s membership of the EU.

Nobody does back-stabbing quite like the Tories. ludi incipiant!

They realised that if they voted against May there would be s general election and labour would get in. That's all. Nothing to do with what's good for the country. This move actually wrong foots Corbyn. He may have to go for a people's vote if the CONs are going to pull together.

• Like 1