Phone being charged explodes in the middle of the night

webfact

Wife replaced iPhone battery at small local. shop. Told her it was tpp cheap and could be problematic. Sure enough, the phone got exceeding hot during charging. Replaced that crap battery with genuine battery and no problems thereafter.

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

And why are they bound to happen more and more, I would suspect, especially from the major players, and after recent battery/charger, problems these players would be much more stringent on quality and testing.

Original cables and chargers are expensive so there is a fortune to be made selling the copies.... 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2016/10/23/apple-nearly-90-of-genuine-iphone-chargers-on-amazon-are-fake/

15 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Original cables and chargers are expensive so there is a fortune to be made selling the copies.... 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2016/10/23/apple-nearly-90-of-genuine-iphone-chargers-on-amazon-are-fake/

True. Money to be made so damn the ethics.

Ethics and principles are old-fashioned and nothing but a hindrance these days.

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

True. Money to be made so damn the ethics.

Ethics and principles are old-fashioned and nothing but a hindrance these days.

Apple shop charge $50 for the fast charger and $20 for the cable 

Samsung a bit less but still overpriced 

Fake cables start at $0.99 cent on sites like ebay 

Can't see this problem going away anytime soon because China can copy, manufacture, and ship the accessories so fast and so cheap

Checkout diodegonewild YouTube channel.

A chap pulls apart many Chinese cheap gadgets and explains why they are dangerous.

In this case, I'd guess a cheap charger throwing 240 v to the phone causing the phone and the path to it to act like a fuse. Bang!

Just thought of a new brand name for a phone...FuseBang.

On sale now.

FuseBang Xtreme 1.0

Edited by stud858

22 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

I noticed that they were pretty crafty with their wording. 

90%+ of the goods they ordered were not genuine.  But nowhere do they claim that any percentage of the clones were dangerous.

It would be easy to conclude that 90%+ of the goods were hazardous.  But that's not what their (lack of) numbers claims.  They may have only found one or 2 really dodgy ones. 

Also, they don't specify how they selected the "over 100" products they purchased to test.  There must be thousands to choose from.  Perhaps they only purchased the cheapest of the cheap products, knowing they would be the riskiest.  Or they purchased thousands and only reported on the 100+ that fit their agenda?

Bottom line:  "clone" doesn't necessarily mean "dangerous", any more than "genuine" means "safe" any more.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Never had a problem with fake goods, fake Rolex, fake charger , still working , no explosions yet . 

Got an amulet for sale?

I have a 40x40x40cm box full of electronics that've given up the ghost in various ways in the last 10 years. My son likes to play with that stuff so I keep it. Proudly made in China and sold in Thailand, when you open them you'll see shoddy PCB designs, hand soldered lines straight from a sweatshop, poorly fitting plastic casts, even cold solders in SMD boards (how they manage that since it's nearly always automated I've no idea) and so on and so on. 

Luckily only a couple of them blew up, the safe-t-cut or fuse in the house tripped first.