Early UK passport renewal - unexpired months no longer added?

The BBC are reporting that the unexpired months on a UK passport are no longer being added to the new passport when it is renewed early.

My passport doesn't expire until 2020 but I only have one page left - another HMPO " saving"!

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

58 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Just read these two, thanks. But surely this 'shortening' of a passport's validity will only come into effect in 2028. Only then will travellers have less than 6 months left.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's just the UK's way of saying, ''we'll take good care of you'', as usual, you can have some bread but no butter.

They are not the only one$ $tealing your butter. I recently married here (fingers crossed) and the most expen$ive portion by far wa$ three piece$ of $igned paper with a $tamp from the Au$tralian Emba$$y. Took all of 10 minute$ of their time

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Dear God, this newspaper has even managed to invent a way to blame Brexit for this, and printed it before even checking whether it's true. This is a rag, like most of them (Grauniad being the worst though; the one decent thing Insane Musk has said recently, IMO). 

Dear God, this newspaper has even managed to invent a way to blame Brexit for this, and printed it before even checking whether it's true. This is a rag, like most of them (Grauniad being the worst though; the one decent thing Insane Musk has said recently, IMO). 
There can be little doubt that this change is a result of Brexit and the likelihood of a "no deal" Brexit.

6 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I think people reporting they did not get extra time says it all. Does it not.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There can be little doubt that this change is a result of Brexit and the likelihood of a "no deal" Brexit.

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good of you to boldly state what The Indy can only surmise at the moment. And also call the Home Office a bunch of liars when they say it's a far wider scope operation than overkill preparation for an extremely unlikely 'no deal' exit. 

Good of you to boldly state what The Indy can only surmise at the moment. And also call the Home Office a bunch of liars when they say it's a far wider scope operation than overkill preparation for an extremely unlikely 'no deal' exit. 
Do you have the link to the official Home Office comment?

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not a Home Office comment, but the Government briefing paper covering passports in the event of a no deal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travelling-to-the-eu-with-a-uk-passport-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/travelling-to-the-eu-with-a-uk-passport-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Did you read the OP? 

The HO is reported in the first link as saying the change was: "to follow recommendations set out by the International Civil Aviation Organisation", and also as saying: "This will ensure that people travelling abroad will be compliant with border entry requirements around the world." nothing about preparation for a no-deal Brexit which almost all agree is still agree is very unlikely. The fact that the The Independent ascribes the emotive word 'bizarre' to the first statement does not in fact mean it is bizarre, it just shows the Indy's intent to hang this on Brexit in some way. 

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

And here is the most important line from the link above:

"According to the Schengen Border Code, third country passports must:

have been issued within the last 10 years on the date of arrival in a Schengen country"

So let's play 'for instance' shall we?

My current passport  was issued on the 6th March 2016. And expires on the 6th Nov 2026. For the mathematically challenged that's 10 years and 8 months. However due to the condition set by the Schengen Border Code, if I was to attempt to enter that region on, say 10th March 2016, my passport would be deemed invalid, because, as it says, it was not issued within the last 10 years.

As most British travellers visit the Schengen region for their annual holiday, this 'concessionally granted' extension has no real value at all. And I would think it's a fair bet that the Schengen Region isn't the only territory to have such a ruling.

This is all a load of hyped up sensationalism over nothing.

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is all a load of hyped up sensationalism over nothing.

Not at all, the concerns in this thread seem to be that previously if you needed to renew your passport early the HMPO would add up to nine months of any unexpired validity onto the new passport, they will no longer do so.

A mate of mine is in the process of renewing his passport as it's full up, it expires in four years time, he will no longer get the "extra" nine months, I'm in a similar position as I'll need to renew mine in the new year with five years remaining - so no, it's not "hyped up sensationalism over nothing".

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Not at all, the concerns in this thread seem to be that previously if you needed to renew your passport early the HMPO would add up to nine months of any unexpired validity onto the new passport, they will no longer do so.

A mate of mine is in the process of renewing his passport as it's full up, it expires in four years time, he will no longer get the "extra" nine months, I'm in a similar position as I'll need to renew mine in the new year with five years remaining - so no, it's not "hyped up sensationalism over nothing".

The HMPO will no longer add the unexpired period for the reason that I have already explained. It actually has no practical value for most travellers.

Your 'mate' and all the rest of us will apply for, pay for and receive exactly what we requested, a 10 year passport. That's what we used to receive before 2001. We're simply returning to how was before then.

Do you really think that anyone is going to be concerned about a 'theoretical' loss of a few months validity in 10 years time?

I don't think so!

Was the UK (up until a few days ago) the sole country among those who issue passports with a 10-year validity (as distinct from 5 years maximum as, for example, in the case of Thai passports) in adding some or all of the unexpired period of a current passport to its replacement? Have the State Department, for example, been doing this in the case of American passports? Maybe @ubonjoecould clarify.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

The HMPO will no longer add the unexpired period for the reason that I have already explained. It actually has no practical value for most travellers.

Your 'mate' and all the rest of us will apply for, pay for and receive exactly what we requested, a 10 year passport. That's what we used to receive before 2001. We're simply returning to how was before then.

Do you really think that anyone is going to be concerned about a 'theoretical' loss of a few months validity in 10 years time?

I don't think so!

Well I'm concerned for one, it's not a theoretical loss it's a real one, I applied for my new passport a week or so ago and the the HMPO website then said that up to nine months of validity would be carried over to my new passport, they quietly dropped that from their website and it wasn't.

OK the chances are that it won't affect me in ten years time as no doubt the new one will be full well before the expiry date, but I object to the mean spirited way it was imposed?

OJAS - I can't answer your question, but are you aware that Thai passports are soon going to be issued with a ten year validity, if they're being done so already. 

Archived