LED Wiring

carlyai

I'm installing a new outside 20 W LED, as the original installed one failed. On the box is a warning 'do not install with an electronic switch'. Fair enough as I'm not, but after this I'm installing a remote internet controlled 4 channel SONOFF electronic switch, to switch the 4 pool LED lights on and off. Although the SONOFF is an electronic switch, the switching is done with relays. I plan to wire the 4 relay gangs in parallel with my existing on/off power switches.

I think the warning about electronic switches is referring to dimmers installed with the LED, and my electronically operated relays should be OK. 

As the pool LED lights are crazy prices, I just wanted to make sure all will be OK.

I have just read the warning label again, on the box the Flood Light LED came in. What it actually says is: 'do not use with dimmers or electronic switches or remote controls'. 

Makes me more concerned about my next remote switching LED pool lights project.

If your switch has a neutral connection and uses a relay it will be just fine.

The warning is to do with you using 2-wire remotes that draw a small current through the load.

Your pool lights should be low voltage and you'll be switching the power side of the transformer. Or will you?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

If your switch has a neutral connection and uses a relay it will be just fine.

The warning is to do with you using 2-wire remotes that draw a small current through the load.

Your pool lights should be low voltage and you'll be switching the power side of the transformer. Or will you?

Thanks for your reply Crossy. Yes using a neutral and switching the output 12 v to the light. 

At the moment I've got 4 normal on/off power switches for the pool light switches, but these are in the garage area. I want to rig up a remote and switch from the house, so I'll wire the relay contacts in parellel with the switch contacts. 

@Crossy wrote: 'The warning is to do with you using 2-wire remotes that draw a small current through the load.'

So the problem this causes is the LEDs don't completely turn off, or you still have light emitted. 

Is there a more sinister problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finished this off, the SONOFF, seems to work well with WiFi and RF remote switching. The WiFi mobile app switching is through a cloud, so when I switch from the house, all is OK, but when I tried it from the car and 12Call phone app, it didn't work. 

The RF remote was a little tricky to set up, as the setup instructions weren't clear.

I ended up using an old 5V output power source for the SONOFF. 

On 9/13/2018 at 7:00 PM, carlyai said:

So the problem this causes is the LEDs don't completely turn off, or you still have light emitted.

Sorry about the late response. Yeah, that's about it, the LEDs glow or flicker in a most annoying way.

Looks like the job's a good un ?

On 9/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, Crossy said:

Sorry about the late response. Yeah, that's about it, the LEDs glow or flicker in a most annoying way.

Looks like the job's a good un ?

Yeah nearly all good. Would have been nice to have received my garage door from china to make the area wasp and big critter proof as lovely critter homes at the bottom of the SONOFF.

Off shortly for another one of those pesky back operations; may as well throw in a new knee while I'm having fun. See you in a couple of months...hopefully. 

Archived