Mukdahan police insist fining truck driver for not wearing shoes while driving is justified

webfact

Police insist fining truck driver for not wearing shoes while driving is justified

Slipper-Driver.png

Muk Dahan provincial police have defended  the fining of a truck driver for wearing a pair of slippers 400 baht while he was behind the wheel as not being excessive but well within the framework of the law.

The police action has become a hot topic of intense debates in the social media after the truck driver, Sooksant Kiewkaew, posted an audio-visual clip showing his arguments with a Muk Dahan policeman after he was slapped with a 400 baht fine for wearing slippers while driving on September 10.

In the clip, Sooksant claimed he wore a pair of shoes while driving, but when he was told to see the police at a road checkpoint, he changed to slippers, but police rejected his claim.

Full story: http://www.thaipbsworld.com/police-insist-fining-truck-driver-for-not-wearing-shoes-while-driving-is-justified/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-14

"According to the ministerial regulation on dress code for drivers of public transport, drivers must wear pants, long-sleeve or short-sleeve shirts and must wear shoes.  Failure to dress properly is liable to a maximum fine of 5,000 baht."

So it didn't cite it as a safety concern. How can a truck driver be claimed to be involved in 'public transport'?

For the past thirty years (even when in the UK) I have always taken my shoes off when driving, I feel a lot more comfortable driving barefoot.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Muk Dahan provincial police have defended  the fining of a truck driver for wearing a pair of slippers 400 baht while he was behind the wheel as not being excessive but well within the framework of the law.

thai police = (stupid + stupid excuse)

43 minutes ago, rodney earl said:

It is the law in some western countries that you can drive bare feet or shoes but no thongs (scuffs) because they can get caught in the pedals.

Rodney spot on, I am sure many accident's occur due to exactly this.

I always take off my thongs to drive it is safer Than trying to drive otherwise.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

You can be pilled off your tits, falling asleep or drunk as a mule....

But don't dare drive bare foot, we will be on you like a rash !!!

He wasn't bare foot. They say slippers which I'm guessing means flip flops for those of you non Australians. We call them thongs. If I remember correctly it is illegal to drive wearing these in Aus. I hate driving in them. Prefer bare feet.?

1 hour ago, rodney earl said:

It is the law in some western countries that you can drive bare feet or shoes but no thongs (scuffs) because they can get caught in the pedals.

I'd love to see thongs caught in the pedals,
just watch out the flappers don't get caught as well ?

thongs.png

17 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Ahhhhhh

There we have it!

Brake failure........

No one has said anything about brake failure it is about getting your foot caught because of wearing unsafe thongs which could cause a accident.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i might just have a problem, many times i ride my scooter barefoot, because unless my wife helps me i cannot get shoes on.?

Make a long handled shoehorn out of length of 3/4 inch plastic water pipe. Flatten one end after heating it in boiling water. Works great for me.?

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

"According to the ministerial regulation on dress code for drivers of public transport, drivers must wear pants, long-sleeve or short-sleeve shirts and must wear shoes.  Failure to dress properly is liable to a maximum fine of 5,000 baht."

So it didn't cite it as a safety concern. How can a truck driver be claimed to be involved in 'public transport'?

For the past thirty years (even when in the UK) I have always taken my shoes off when driving, I feel a lot more comfortable driving barefoot.

It is against the law to drive barefoot in Canada. I guess the thought is your shoes could get

caught behind the brake pedal. Maybe this is the reason there is so many brake failure

issues in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Ulic said:

It is against the law to drive barefoot in Canada. I guess the thought is your shoes could get

caught behind the brake pedal. Maybe this is the reason there is so many brake failure

issues in Thailand.

What's the reasoning behind that?

I'm asking as someone who takes their shoes off to drive, as I can feel the pedals better.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's against the law in most countries, mainly due to safety. Sweaty feet slip off brake pedals. Certainly in Oz, where surfers hardly ever wear shoes while driving. Surf board on roof, wait for the flashing lights. 

Archived