Declaring Cash: Limits Reduced to USD 15,000 from USD 20,000

blackcab

If you hand carry cash into or out of Thailand,  the rules have changed. Previously, you did not have to report less than USD 20,000 or the equivalent.

The Bank of Thailand has reduced the limit to USD 15,000 or the equivalent.

See Section 2:

https://www.bot.or.th/English/FinancialMarkets/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/default.aspx

Ok.. like they really care or check especially when you go out, not long ago, on my trip out of BKK airport i went to very obscured little custom cubicle to declare and amount that was exceeding the limit, took me awhile to find the place and the lone official who was there looked at me with bewilderment when i asked to declare said amount, but, like with everything else, up to the checkers of the day and your luck if you decide not to declare....

That is certainly hidden away and is dated December of 2017. Also odd that it is under the local currency heading.

2. Local Currency

There is no limit on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country. A person traveling to Vietnam, the People's Republic of China (only Yunnan province) and Thailand's bordering countries is allowed to take out  up to THB 2,000,000. A person traveling to other countries is allowed up to THB 50,000.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

Strange that the customs website has not been changed. See: http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=arriving_in_thailand&lang=en&left_menu=menu_arriving_in_thailand

@ubonjoe

As you know, Bank of Thailand set the limits, Customs enforce them. It might just be that the people responsible for updating the website haven't been informed.

If you entered with more than USD 15,000 but less than USD 20,000 and didn't declare due to lack of updated knowledge I don't think Customs would confiscate the cash. It really wouldn't look good for them.

WARNING: The information in this website is intended as a general guideline only and subject to changes without prior notice. It does not in any way replace or supersede Customs and related laws or regulations. Before relying on the information on the Website, users should independently verify its accuracy, completeness and relevance for their purposes.

According to USA Cutoms and. Border Boarder Protection website. Updated 2017 Over  $10,000 USD or equivalent needs to be declared . Pertains to money In/Out of USA.

I saw a guy get arrested on boarding walkway in Los Angeles they were going through his wallet and carry on. 

The transportation of currency of monetary instruments, regardless of the amount is legal. However, when entering the U.S. in-transit to a foreign destination, you will be required by law to file a report with U.S. Customs Border Protection (CBP). Pursuant to 31 U.S.C. § 5613, and 31 C.F.R. § 1010.340,

Failure to declare monetary instruments in amounts valued more than $10,000 can result in its seizure.

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have more than $10,000 in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

Declaring is really simple. You go to the RED channel and say "declare currency". You'll be brought to a little cubicle where a civil servant will ask you to fill a form and sign a register. It's done in 2 minutes with a smile. No questions asked. Sometimes they want to see the money, but they never count it. On the register you can see all the other declarants. I've seen that some people bring over a million dollars in cash.

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

@ubonjoe

As you know, Bank of Thailand set the limits, Customs enforce them. It might just be that the people responsible for updating the website haven't been informed.

If you entered with more than USD 15,000 but less than USD 20,000 and didn't declare due to lack of updated knowledge I don't think Customs would confiscate the cash. It really wouldn't look good for them.

My impression is that they are more about looking bad and then trying to explain it away with some ridiculous excuse. 

• 1 month later...

I'm considering carrying the equivalent of the 15k usd back to UK next journey.

Are the K bank and SuperRich both available 24/7 and in close proximity at Suvarnabhumi ?45215733_usdbaht(2).jpg.de1a485f8a08493bce266c95f090c636.jpg

As I live near Pattaya (with only small FX booths available) I would prefer using the airport's facilities.

usd baht (1).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived