Thammasat answers 'racy' poster critics

webfact

Thammasat answers 'racy' poster critics

By The Nation

5112ca2a930c0ad0bd70bad25295d121.jpeg

After criticism from academics and on social media over head and shoulder photos of former cheerleaders in a recruiting campaign, the Thammasat University Cheerleader Club has said it was part of a Unicef campaign.

The United Nations children’s charity produced its U-Report to amplify the voices of young people in developing countries.

The photos, used on billboards and social media, encouraged students of both genders to apply for cheerleader positions was described as inappropriate for showing bare shoulders and being "racy", depicting cheerleaders as sex objects.

The club said the campaign was part of a U-Report "My Body, My Opinion” project which started in July.

The shots were meant to challenge the assumption that cheerleaders were selected on their appearance, the statement said.

The campaign said that regardless of appearance, height and shape, anyone with self-confidence, determination and self-esteem can be a cheerleader and be part of the team.

The statement also confirmed that the photo shoot ensured protection for the 72nd cheerleading squad with the female members wearing bodysuits and trousers during the photoshoot.

The club also on Friday afternoon removed the billboards with such photos out of its campus to end this issue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354479

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-14

Oh my god! I can see their shoulders but not further down. They could actually be naked because we can't see further down! Normally when we see a topless guy on an advertising board we know he's not naked cos we can see his pants. But these people might be naked!!! 

I hope these people complaining don't watch the adverts on TV. Half-naked women touching their hair or skin after a shower, etc.

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

depicting cheerleaders as sex objects

Right! And BNK48  are just a bunch of talented teenage girls. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The photos, used on billboards and social media, encouraged students of both genders to apply for cheerleader positions was described as inappropriate for showing bare shoulders and being "racy", depicting cheerleaders as sex objects.

Cheerleaders have always been depicted as sex objects. Find it a bit difficult to get my head around the idea of male cheerleaders though. 

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Bare shoulders are racy? Thailand becomes more and more like a restricted Muslim nation by the day. Soon they'll be insisting that table legs are covered up, as they did in Victorian England. So I'm told. I'm not old enough to have experienced it.

Seems the real reason came from most victorian homes having cats because of mice and the covers were introduced to try and stop cats sharpening their claws on the legs.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:23 PM, webfact said:

The campaign said that regardless of appearance, height and shape, anyone with self-confidence, determination and self-esteem can be a cheerleader and be part of the team.

And yet every one of these guys looks almost exactly the same. The UN and Unicef could vanish, and we'd all be better off.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

And yet every one of these guys looks almost exactly the same. The UN and Unicef could vanish, and we'd all be better off.

Where's any display of the history of this uni, none.

Where's any indication of diversity, respect for a variety of skin color etc., none.

Professors who have taught at this uni (and other so called prestigious Thai unis) will be aware of the large amount of lesson time allocated to dancing / cheer leading practice etc., plus the expectation from the uni and the students that professors will automatically approve class absence for this activity.

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Uh not sure if the coffee is kicking in yet. Dudes are cheerleaders? Can't get more gay than that.

It can....i've seen pictures of my thai friend at his own weddingparty....he was wearing lipstick that day! 55555555

Archived