1,800 Bangkok vans to be banned from road

snoop1130

1,800 Bangkok vans to be banned from road

By The Nation

9944d12ca09fe6d3c3e6311de28d3210.jpeg

File photo

About 1,800 vans will have to stop taking passengers at the end of this month after being registered for more than 10 years, a transport committee said.

The committee headed by Col Sombat Thanyawan, deputy commander of the Second Cavalry Division, held a meeting on Thursday and reaffirmed its decision to have operators stop using 10-year-old vans.

The van operators have called on the committee to be lenient and extend the limit to 15 years.

But the committee decided that after a decade, a van becomes dangerous for passengers, Sombat said.

He said 1,800 out of 6,000 vans in Bangkok must be decommissioned and violators will face a fine of Bt50,000 to Bt200,000.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354476

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-14

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The van operators have called on the committee to be lenient and extend the limit to 15 years.

But the committee decided that after a decade, a van becomes dangerous for passengers, Sombat said.

It is not only old van's that is dangerous it is the drivers there cause accident with insane high speed driving 

Singapore's vehicles are taken off their roads after 10 years

( they tax the owners significantly, as their means of achieving it)

Malaysia then benefits from the wholesale smuggling of the cars to their shores. (guess where all those diesel Mercs and Peugots came from , to start their new lives as a Teksi! )

Now LOS considers itself the best of the best of the best in the region, and have 4 of the 5 countries bordering them,

that they feel more significant than...

16 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It is not only old van's that is dangerous it is the drivers there cause accident with insane high speed driving 

To be fair, the situation improved a lot on Phuket (not sure how it is in Bangkok).

Most vans now have GPS tracking and on bypass road (perfect for going 120 when there is space, even though the speed limit is supposed to be 50) the vans nicely stick to their max of 80km/h. It will take a bit of time before they realize they aren't the fastest anymore and should merge back to the left lane, but I wont be holding my breath.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

About 1,800 vans will have to stop taking passengers at the end of this month after being registered for more than 10 years

Great move but good luck with that....I bet it'll be business as usual as long as there's a pay off.

14 minutes ago, Darcula said:

Same could be said about Somchai after a decade on the interstellar highway.

I agree Darc. I would rather ( but never will ) ride in a 10 year old minibus that the driver has been using for 10 years than a brand new one with the driver showing of his skills.

Col. Wombat Anyvan will prove that taking 10 yo vehicles of the road will have little or no effect.

They should have to turn in their license plates. This is a good move but without enforcement Thais will continue to do as they please.

how about the buses ?  I am sure there are some that are 40 years old. The more recent buses (6-8 years old) are from China I think and already falling apart. Wonder what actually happened to the 500 blue buses made in China and shipped here via Malaysia.

All kinds of motorists must be banned for that matter, then go back to spend at least a year for an extensive theoretical and practical training on how to drive a vehicle on the straight line to start with !  These public dangers are an accident waiting to happen at any given moment, nothing to do with vehicle providing they carry out basic maintenance and needless to say the police should  earn the basic right to hold their status checking wild  selfish wanna be driver out on the roads and increase road blocks on a regular basis hence start to issue solid fines ONLY for the Thais.. I know all of the above mentioned will never happen, sadly it’s only going to get worse ??‍♂️

17 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

How would installing a governor to control the speed work ? With the new electronic controls it would be cheap to do.

1 hour ago, Naamblar2014 said:

On the face of it, sounds like a good idea.  However a ten year old vehicle that is maintained and regularly inspected should not be considered unsafe. Bad drivers in New vehicles still equals potential disasterous results.

Sorry, this is Thailand.

19 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

About 90 minutes ago, I was going through a set of lights on Sukhumvit Road near Pattaya on my motorcycle.  One of those vans decided to pull-out to overtake a car, and very nearly side-swiped me.  I saw the van coming and moved over as much as I could, and accelerated past him.  Within seconds, he was right up my backside.  I casually waved my arm up and down to tell him to slow down and back-off.  He immediately pulled-out and came along-side me with the window wound down, telling me to pull-over to the side of the road, and that he was going to sort me out.  I couldn't see if he had passengers in the rear as the windows were too dark.  I declined his offer to pull-over, and kept going.  Then he accelerated, pulled in front of me and jammed his brakes on.  I saw it coming and managed to go round him.  He caught me up and stayed at the side of me for a while.  Traffic lights were just in front flashing before they changed to red.  I thought, "Well, I'll have a few witnesses now from half a dozen cars".  No surprises, he accelerated through the red light with a cloud of black smoke, just missing the front of a car crossing.

They should ban drivers with a 10 years old's mentality (that'll be most of them) as well as the vans.  It seems that all these guys are above the law, and vans belting-out black smoke are the norm.  

I've got his reg number.  Shame I wasn't in the car; I'd have a cracking video from the dash cam.

I have flown 60-year-old aircraft. It's not the age of the automobile, it is the quality of the maintenance and repairs.  I drove a 2001 Lexus for 15 years before I gave it to my brother.  That version Lexus was the most prolific late-model Lexus on the road.  People who bought them new never got rid of them.

Again, nonsense logic applied to a real problem = useless machinations doing nothing for the public.

Archived