1,800 Bangkok vans to be banned from road

snoop1130

They should have to turn in their license plates. This is a good move but without enforcement Thais will continue to do as they please.

how about the buses ?  I am sure there are some that are 40 years old. The more recent buses (6-8 years old) are from China I think and already falling apart. Wonder what actually happened to the 500 blue buses made in China and shipped here via Malaysia.
In Bangkok the Isuzu air conditioned busses are the best. Clean, quiet and comfortable. And I would guess they are around 20 years old.
The Chinese busses are 1st generation products and crap. I've ridden newer ones in China and the quality dramatically increased.
I would like to know too what is going on with the new busses from Malaysia / China.
Some are in service for line 138. But that can be estimated around 10 at maximum.
So where are the other 490 busses?

19 hours ago, tifino said:

Singapore's vehicles are taken off their roads after 10 years

( they tax the owners significantly, as their means of achieving it)

Malaysia then benefits from the wholesale smuggling of the cars to their shores. (guess where all those diesel Mercs and Peugots came from , to start their new lives as a Teksi! )

Now LOS considers itself the best of the best of the best in the region, and have 4 of the 5 countries bordering them,

that they feel more significant than...

Singapore do this Singapore does that, so then the rest of the world needs to do the same?

there is is nothing wrong with older cars on road,  as long they are road worthy.

4 hours ago, irwinfc said:

blatant traffic violators don't even get caught. what are the chances of these "old" vans getting caught? no one can be bothered here to do all the checking etc. this will never happen.

I always got a front seat in these vans when I used them to go to Bangkok, and from what I have seen, it is the other traffic on the roads which cause most of the problems.

All through the journey it is always the same, slower moving traffic hogging the outside lanes, and forcing the minivan drivers to overtake by always having to change lanes. These vans are never speeding, after they reach a certain speed, a noise comes which means the driver has to hold back before the noise goes away.

I am only talking about the vans which go from my village to Bangkok.

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I can bet that after 10 years most of these vans are still on the original brake pads.blame the vans and not the drivers as usual.how about fitting the things with speed restrictors.anyway it's another law to be blatantly ignored.

The vans that travel from my village to Bangkok all have speed restrictors.

2 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

I have flown 60-year-old aircraft. It's not the age of the automobile, it is the quality of the maintenance and repairs.  I drove a 2001 Lexus for 15 years before I gave it to my brother.  That version Lexus was the most prolific late-model Lexus on the road.  People who bought them new never got rid of them.

Again, nonsense logic applied to a real problem = useless machinations doing nothing for the public.

Its not the age, but in Thailand on average they don't maintain the vehicles. You have an US attitude and in the US it would be a crazy plan but here in Thailand its a good plan because realistically not many maintain their van good. Too bad that the ones that do get punished.

Think the idea behind this is very good.

Who doesn't prefer a new(er) van to make a trip then a dilapidated one?! And for the pollution in Bkk this would be great also.

Only big problem will be that these busses probably will spread again all over Thailand so those other places will get stuck with smelly dangerous vans.

Instead of fining 150000 bht they better change it in a recycling bonus like they do in my country when you return your old car. What company or driver wouldn't be happy to get an extra 10-15% discount.

If I was a fairly senior mechanic for Toyota, Mercedes, Honda, (which Im not), or whatever make of vehicle is blamed for sudden brake failure and consequently a bad crash, I would probably pipe up and insist that the truck is inspected. It would be the last thing I would want is the logo and the vehicle being pictured in a tangled mess and the blame being on faulty brakes, which in my limited knowledge seldom just suddenly fail.

It is not the age of the vehicles that causes the accidents, it is the lousy maintanece on

those vehicles and the attitudes of many drivers that do not own these vehices, but are hired

to drive them. The drivers attitude is what makes the situation dangerous, and that is why Thailand

has the number one spot for the dangerous country for accidents. I rode in a 6 year old van up

Doi Suthep and was told when we had reached the top that the rear brakes were no good and only

the front ones worked. The ride down was with the engine holding back the speed by being in a low

gear, ad we stopped three times to let the front brakes cool. The driver only told my Thai relative as

we were getting near the top of the mountain and everyone was pretty upset. We have never used

the company again even though the owner is a relative.

Geezer

Maintenance is certainly a key factor.

Many years ago I purchased the services of of a visa run company.  We were all loaded aboard and off we went.  Not long into the journey we had to make a stop because of the brakes.  About a two hour delay while discs were sent away for scimming and new pads installed.

Image0119.jpg

Archived