fix computer pantip plaza bangkok?

yogavnture

I am in usa. I busted my computer screen and was thinking of waiting to fix it until I get to bkk. in a month...….my logic is that the guys at pantip plaza work cheap.  although my experience is that computer parts seem to cost more in Thailand than in usa.  I thought about getting part here in usa and then have them install it in bkk.    maybe I should just go to bkk and see if both the part and labor is cheaper?

I'd sure hate to get all the way to Thailand, then find out that the part I needed was specific to a US model and not stocked in Thai shops.

BTW, if you do decide to get it done in Thailand, I'd suggest Fortune Town instead of Pantip for your first stop.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1054122-pantip-plaza-almost-empty/?tab=comments#comment-13297279

I was near Pantip Plaza recently, popped in, and its indeed a bit on the deserted side. Other places are a better bet - Fortune or Rangsit, for example.

Wouldn't know that what the OP plans is worth the hassle, or even amount to great savings. The only bit of concrete advice is that if it's a laptop, there's a very reliable guy in Fortune who fixes such. Speaks English, reasonable charges, and good advice (sometime to the effect that he doesn't earn, even). Name is Nick, and place is called Pro-Corner (I think there's a website/FB page). They could probably give you an initial quote or input by phone or email.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

I was near Pantip Plaza recently, popped in, and its indeed a bit on the deserted side. Other places are a better bet - Fortune or Rangsit, for example.

Wouldn't know that what the OP plans is worth the hassle, or even amount to great savings. The only bit of concrete advice is that if it's a laptop, there's a very reliable guy in Fortune who fixes such. Speaks English, reasonable charges, and good advice (sometime to the effect that he doesn't earn, even). Name is Nick, and place is called Pro-Corner (I think there's a website/FB page). They could probably give you an initial quote or input by phone or email.

I have used Nick ... he is OK

12 hours ago, Morch said:

do you know how I could reach him by email?

19 hours ago, yogavnture said:

I am in usa. I busted my computer screen and was thinking of waiting to fix it until I get to bkk. in a month...….my logic is that the guys at pantip plaza work cheap.  although my experience is that computer parts seem to cost more in Thailand than in usa.  I thought about getting part here in usa and then have them install it in bkk.    maybe I should just go to bkk and see if both the part and labor is cheaper?

Pantip has changed a lot in recent years, though there's still the old cheap repair outfits down at the back. I had my screen replaced on my old Acer a few years ago, my recollection was that a new part was  expensive, but several alternatives were available at a much lower rate from old machines depending on the condition, I could even opt for a matte or glossy screen. Some of the screens seemed to be interchangeable between brands, I was offered one with a small amount of screen burn (though still much better than the screen I was replacing) for only 500 baht including fitting, though I then found a good as new screen from a similar model with a broken hard drive, think the total charge was about 1500 baht. If you think the screen is available here on an old model you could probably source a used screen locally, otherwise if you turn up with a new screen I think they'd install it for a few hundred baht in either Pantip or Fortune tower. 

20 hours ago, yogavnture said:

Many people prefer to let the repair shop supply the part to be sure it's the correct part. If they can get the computer fixed with whatever part they get for you then you pay, otherwise not.

So if you are not sure which part is defect or not sure if you get exactly the correct part then I wouldn't buy it outside the shop.

But if you are sure which part you need and you are sure you get exactly that part then go ahead and buy it and let the guys in Thailand install it.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, lamyai3 said:

Pantip has changed a lot in recent years, though there's still the old cheap repair outfits down at the back. I had my screen replaced on my old Acer a few years ago, my recollection was that a new part was  expensive, but several alternatives were available at a much lower rate from old machines depending on the condition, I could even opt for a matte or glossy screen. Some of the screens seemed to be interchangeable between brands, I was offered one with a small amount of screen burn (though still much better than the screen I was replacing) for only 500 baht including fitting, though I then found a good as new screen from a similar model with a broken hard drive, think the total charge was about 1500 baht. If you think the screen is available here on an old model you could probably source a used screen locally, otherwise if you turn up with a new screen I think they'd install it for a few hundred baht in either Pantip or Fortune tower. 

THANKS  I have never heard of fortune tower.  actually my screen works still pretty good. but smart to get it replaced I think its a yoga 900 lenovo so a pretty high end laptop. i dont think that they will have that around their very readily. my experience is that usa has less duty on these from china than thailand. so I will buy part here and have the put it In at fortune tower I guess......….what is fortune tower.. similar to pantip I guess

It is Fortune Town and a huge hotel/shopping center/office tower at corner of Rachada/Rama 9 (on subway route - stop right outside).  The computer area are the two floors above Tesco Lotus area at North end of building.  A very popular shopping area for such equipment.  

On 9/15/2018 at 5:37 AM, Morch said:

Nick has fixed a couple of computers for me, always does a good job, is reliable and charges a fair price.

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

Nick has fixed a couple of computers for me, always does a good job, is reliable and charges a fair price.

What are fair prices ? I fixed computers in the past but it could get expensive if your busy with it for a few hours and charge normal rates. Just curious what they charge over here.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

What are fair prices ? I fixed computers in the past but it could get expensive if your busy with it for a few hours and charge normal rates. Just curious what they charge over here.

3500 to fix motherboard, no payment if they can't. Said it will take 4-5 days, done after a couple. 3 month guarantee for repairs. Guess it's all somewhat dependent on model and exact problem, though. I don't know if it's "fair" for everyone, but I never had to return with the same machine twice. Then there's the English bit. And the attitude, which is professional rather than the more common face saving act.

Oh, and OP - got that email for you, sent in PM.

I have both purchased and fixed at Puntip Plaza over the years. There are so many repair shops. They have seen everything and can repair anything, most of the time immediately or within an hour or so. MUCH cheaper than in the U.S. I'm sure the other locations noted like Fortune, can do the same thing. Save yourself the hassle and expense and do it in Thailand. It's a no brainer.

On 9/15/2018 at 12:24 AM, impulse said:

I'd sure hate to get all the way to Thailand, then find out that the part I needed was specific to a US model and not stocked in Thai shops.

BTW, if you do decide to get it done in Thailand, I'd suggest Fortune Town instead of Pantip for your first stop.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1054122-pantip-plaza-almost-empty/?tab=comments#comment-13297279

Some years a go, I purchased a new laptop and gave my old Toshiba to my 
Thai nephew.  About two years later he told my wife that the computer had died and could not be fixed and wanted to know if it was OK with me if he could sell it. 

Even though the repair center told him it could not be fixed, they offered him $300.00 (in Thai Baht) for it, saying it had parts in it that were only available for Toshiba's sold in the United States. 

20 hours ago, JeffreyO said:

Can you explicitly say what is actually wrong with your computer?  What parts do you need?  Heck, for most hardware adjustments I can probably just walk you through it on here :p.

I have a yoga 900 13 inch touch screen that the glass is broken. it looks like I can buy a screen and bezel whatever bezel means. (not sure exactly what parts I need to replace)  I can buy a replacement screen on ebay for 170 us dollars........then i was gonna take over to thailand with me and have them do labor to put it in cheaper than here...........i have found that parts are cheaper in usa than Thailand I dont know why?  because thais have alot higher duty fees on parts from abroad??????  my computer still works ok. half of the touch screen works half dosent...…(where cracked)......….so my options are.

1. just use computer as is. hope the crack dont get worse over time.

2. buy part here and bring over to bkk and have them put it in. risking that the part will not be defective

3. just go to bkk and show the guy at fortune tower my issue and hope he can get part cheaper than in usa...........I already have a quote in usa 250 dollars to do the whole job.........my experience in Thailand is that labor is cheap . parts are more pricy than in usa.

Lenovo yoga 900 13 inch touch screen is a higher end computer so I dont think that part will be just laying around thier.

any thoughts?

2 hours ago, yogavnture said:

I have a yoga 900 13 inch touch screen that the glass is broken. it looks like I can buy a screen and bezel whatever bezel means. (not sure exactly what parts I need to replace)  I can buy a replacement screen on ebay for 170 us dollars........then i was gonna take over to thailand with me and have them do labor to put it in cheaper than here...........i have found that parts are cheaper in usa than Thailand I dont know why?  because thais have alot higher duty fees on parts from abroad??????  my computer still works ok. half of the touch screen works half dosent...…(where cracked)......….so my options are.

1. just use computer as is. hope the crack dont get worse over time.

2. buy part here and bring over to bkk and have them put it in. risking that the part will not be defective

3. just go to bkk and show the guy at fortune tower my issue and hope he can get part cheaper than in usa...........I already have a quote in usa 250 dollars to do the whole job.........my experience in Thailand is that labor is cheap . parts are more pricy than in usa.

Lenovo yoga 900 13 inch touch screen is a higher end computer so I dont think that part will be just laying around thier.

any thoughts?

A bezel is the plastic part that goes around the screen.  For most repairs, you can do it yourself... a screen is one of the only things I'd probably say get help with.  It's not that it's incredibly hard, it's just not fun and usually requires some knowledge to pull off.  Here's the good news, if the screen still lights up, the actual connection between the screen and the motherboard are still good, if the screen didn't power on at all, it's possible there's damage to the motherboard which, for a laptop, you might as well replace the whole damned thing.  Anyways, sounds like your MB is good and that the screen just needs to be replaced.

Screens are the one thing I'd say get help with... I'm sorry to tell you but that's not something I'd walk someone through over the internet.  Memory, hard drive, even a motherboard for a desktop, it's all a non-issue but a screen?  Your plan is sound.

FYI: If you can ebay the part, ebay the part.  You CAN always ebay it and ship it to Thailand if the ebayer ships internationally.  Buy in America, then have it fixed in Thailand.  Just get it in writing or some kind of guarantee it will be done.  If they damage the connection on the motherboard during the replacement you'll need a new laptop.

5 hours ago, JeffreyO said:

A bezel is the plastic part that goes around the screen.  For most repairs, you can do it yourself... a screen is one of the only things I'd probably say get help with.  It's not that it's incredibly hard, it's just not fun and usually requires some knowledge to pull off.  Here's the good news, if the screen still lights up, the actual connection between the screen and the motherboard are still good, if the screen didn't power on at all, it's possible there's damage to the motherboard which, for a laptop, you might as well replace the whole damned thing.  Anyways, sounds like your MB is good and that the screen just needs to be replaced.

Screens are the one thing I'd say get help with... I'm sorry to tell you but that's not something I'd walk someone through over the internet.  Memory, hard drive, even a motherboard for a desktop, it's all a non-issue but a screen?  Your plan is sound.

FYI: If you can ebay the part, ebay the part.  You CAN always ebay it and ship it to Thailand if the ebayer ships internationally.  Buy in America, then have it fixed in Thailand.  Just get it in writing or some kind of guarantee it will be done.  If they damage the connection on the motherboard during the replacement you'll need a new laptop.

would I need a new bezel? I placed an inkpen in laptop and tried to shut it. busted the screen mostly on the black part of glass . and crack goes up screen. about a 1/3 of the screen touch dont work now otherwise it works fine. but suspicious of over time it will get worse.

1. do I need new bezel.

2. I see screens on ebay for 170 bucks.  would you buy it here in usa and then just bring it over to thailand to fix?  I will get guarantee in usa before I buy that I will bring over to Thailand and it must work

3. if  I get a reputable  bloke to fix it in bkk it should work with no issues.   thanks

1. Generally for monitors the bezel comes with the monitor itself and is not two separate parts.  I guess it depends on if the supplier is willing to sell separate parts.  I can't imagine you needing one unless the monitor is affixed with some type of solution similar to a glue.  If you can just get the screen then you generally shouldn't require a new bezel.  It is not like a gasket for an engine.

2. If you do buy it in the states just be certain when you bring it with you to wrap it in several pieces of soft cloth like towels.  It would suck to land in BKK only to find that your luggage getting tossed around caused the screen to break again :).

3. Should, as long as you're getting the appropriate part.  Wherever you go just ask what their policies are on hardware fixes like this.  IE: If they break it in the process, do they reimburse you?  In theory most places should but Thailand is Thailand (Prathet Thai).

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, JeffreyO said:

1. Generally for monitors the bezel comes with the monitor itself and is not two separate parts.  I guess it depends on if the supplier is willing to sell separate parts.  I can't imagine you needing one unless the monitor is affixed with some type of solution similar to a glue.  If you can just get the screen then you generally shouldn't require a new bezel.  It is not like a gasket for an engine.

2. If you do buy it in the states just be certain when you bring it with you to wrap it in several pieces of soft cloth like towels.  It would suck to land in BKK only to find that your luggage getting tossed around caused the screen to break again :).

3. Should, as long as you're getting the appropriate part.  Wherever you go just ask what their policies are on hardware fixes like this.  IE: If they break it in the process, do they reimburse you?  In theory most places should but Thailand is Thailand (Prathet Thai).

thanks I just ordered it from thailand. I did email the guy at the tower place. he seems nice. he suggested i buy the part in usa and bring it over to him in bkk to put it in............ha ha ha........breaking it on the plane ...........i will bring in my carry on.....the ebay listing says it is a screen with frame included.......the other ebay listings say its a screen with bezel....…….I will be more careful in future closing computer with an inkpen in it. thanks for your help. i will assume that putting in a new screen is doable job for the fellow at the tower.   thanks for your help

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, yogavnture said:

would I need a new bezel? I placed an inkpen in laptop and tried to shut it. busted the screen mostly on the black part of glass . and crack goes up screen. about a 1/3 of the screen touch dont work now otherwise it works fine. but suspicious of over time it will get worse.

1. do I need new bezel.

2. I see screens on ebay for 170 bucks.  would you buy it here in usa and then just bring it over to thailand to fix?  I will get guarantee in usa before I buy that I will bring over to Thailand and it must work

3. if  I get a reputable  bloke to fix it in bkk it should work with no issues.   thanks

I do wonder if Thailand has import fees . that usa does not have. I am leery of shipping it to Thailand.  i dont have permanent place of my own thier...……as I can see...……...computer parts are cheaper in usa than in Thailand. but makes no sense as most of the parts are coming from china so they can ship to bkk just as easy as usa

On 9/20/2018 at 8:12 AM, yogavnture said:

1. do I need new bezel.

Wise decision to buy there and have it fixed in Thailand.

I hope you bought a genuine panel (if available) and not a cheap unbranded Chinese stuff, contrast / brightness / response time can be worst if so, can also be as good as the original, it's the lottery ;

Good thing is that it's a 13inch laptop, so screen quality is not the main thing, it's not like if it was a 4K 15inch laptop.

BTW when you'll have it replaced here make sure to ask the guy to clean your laptops fan / radiator and to change the thermal paste, your laptop will thank you for that.

Why don't you post here a picture of your current screen ? 

13 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Wise decision to buy there and have it fixed in Thailand.

I hope you bought a genuine panel (if available) and not a cheap unbranded Chinese stuff, contrast / brightness / response time can be worst if so, can also be as good as the original, it's the lottery ;

Good thing is that it's a 13inch laptop, so screen quality is not the main thing, it's not like if it was a 4K 15inch laptop.

BTW when you'll have it replaced here make sure to ask the guy to clean your laptops fan / radiator and to change the thermal paste, your laptop will thank you for that.

Why don't you post here a picture of your current screen ? 

does oem mean original screen?

9 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

does oem mean original screen?

Well normally OEM means that it's been built by the same manufacture but unbranded (no LENOVO logo) so normally it's the same as an original screen.
Now on ebay, everyone claims to be selling OEM this and OEM that, i'm quite sure lots of them are lying.

Just realized your screen is a "3200x1800" touchscreen, so 170 bucks seems very cheap for a "genuine screen".

On 9/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, yogavnture said:

thanks I just ordered it from thailand. I did email the guy at the tower place. he seems nice. he suggested i buy the part in usa and bring it over to him in bkk to put it in............ha ha ha........breaking it on the plane ...........i will bring in my carry on.....the ebay listing says it is a screen with frame included.......the other ebay listings say its a screen with bezel....…….I will be more careful in future closing computer with an inkpen in it. thanks for your help. i will assume that putting in a new screen is doable job for the fellow at the tower.   thanks for your help

I brought monitors from Thailand to Japan then from Japan to the USA (Not connecting flights, I was staying in Japan for a while) and they came out just fine, like i said, just wrap them :).

14 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Well normally OEM means that it's been built by the same manufacture but unbranded (no LENOVO logo) so normally it's the same as an original screen.
Now on ebay, everyone claims to be selling OEM this and OEM that, i'm quite sure lots of them are lying.

Just realized your screen is a "3200x1800" touchscreen, so 170 bucks seems very cheap for a "genuine screen".

I asked the seller. he responded.  'ALL The screens are from china even if you buy in usa. your original screen is fully laminated.  the replacement screen is half laminated. but everything is the same as the original. you can also tell us the model of your original screen and we will send the same to you...LTN133 OR LP133"  my computer is lenovo yoga 900- 13isk2..  model name 80ue...……..I dont know what he means laminated.  I do see the screen he is selling me says 900 on the side as my original. not sure if it has the windows logo on the bottom center as original has........

Just now, yogavnture said:

I asked the seller. he responded.  'ALL The screens are from china even if you buy in usa. your original screen is fully laminated.  the replacement screen is half laminated. but everything is the same as the original. you can also tell us the model of your original screen and we will send the same to you...LTN133 OR LP133"  my computer is lenovo yoga 900- 13isk2..  model name 80ue...……..I dont know what he means laminated.  I do see the screen he is selling me says 900 on the side as my original. not sure if it has the windows logo on the bottom center as original has........I paid 160 bucks total cost...

Archived