Fish spas fight back: cast doubt on Aussie woman's toe amputation story

rooster59

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And she decided to reveal all eight years later?

entirely possible the infection was initially traced to the fish tank. entirely possible the final solution was amputation for osteomyelitis status post failed treatments. that is often the nature of the beast called osteomyelitis.  aka bone infection. can be stubborn  to treatment short of removing infected tissue.

Both Thai medical doctors and Dermatological Society of Thailand has warned about using fish spas, as both the fish and the water that could cause infection, it was stated in an article the 31st December 2014 in a media that cannot be quoted here.

32 minutes ago, atyclb said:

entirely possible the infection was initially traced to the fish tank. entirely possible the final solution was amputation for osteomyelitis status post failed treatments. that is often the nature of the beast called osteomyelitis.  aka bone infection. can be stubborn  to treatment short of removing infected tissue.

agree,

nothing in this country is clean and hygienic, including clinics and hospitals

its a laugh watching employees in hospitals, also top notch international hospitals, trying to keep things hygienic and sterile

the doctors are totally inept when it comes to sterility

fish tanks - manicure - pedicure - hair cut - shaving / your risk - all the tools are none clean - infections are always a risk

but of course - you are free to enjoy

A few of things:  

Why wait so many years and how does she know putting her foot in the fish tank was the cause of infection? 

Why would anyone think the fish tank is clean, obviously the fish do their business in the water?

Why would anyone think this industry (if you call it that) is highly regulated?  Seems like nothing is regulated in Thailand except of course public descent. 

Why does anyone need fish to remove dead skin from feet?

Ok.. if you have an open wound or compromised skin issues that you're openly inviting infections just about anything and everywhere you go and do, and sticking one wound into a fish tank is not helpful and simply asking for troubles...

Are the fish OK? ?

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

well-regulated business.

??? By whose hygiene standards? :thumbsup: 

"well regulated" (in Thailand) would, sadly, be an oxymoron to me.

Whatever the "claims" are from either side, the woman from Perth was not exactly practicing good hygiene by placing her feet in such a spa in the first instance. Contributory negligence by both parties? ?

22 hours ago, seajae said:

worried about his profits dropping, since when has Thailand ever had any kind of health and safety people checking anything in the country. Licenced means absolutely nothing as a quick backhander gets it done for you anyway, this is simply about making money, has he ever had these tanks checked for bacteria etc, like basic vehicle safety inspections it just doesnt happen as it costs money to do it

Sticking your infected foot in a tank which other customers use too is a very nice thing to do of course.

Never tried this and never will, it's the same, to me, as finding someones unwashed socks and thinking I'll wear those today.

Not sure where it is, in the med' somewhere, I can remember seeing the old guys with their feet in the sea and similar fish eating the dead skin etc. That seems a lot better than a tank where you have no idea how long it is since the water was changed etc.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Never tried this and never will, it's the same, to me, as finding someones unwashed socks and thinking I'll wear those today.

Not sure where it is, in the med' somewhere, I can remember seeing the old guys with their feet in the sea and similar fish eating the dead skin etc. That seems a lot better than a tank where you have no idea how long it is since the water was changed etc.

I think wearing unwashed socks is better, you are not supposed to pay for it.

17 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Your wrong, they should report it straight away and not wait 8 years. 

On another note, why would someone from Australia wait so long then out of the blue decide to report it to a U.K. tabloid? Oh wait a minute,,, it was Sun newspaper who also advertises “ We pay for your story”, let’s jump on the “me too” bandwagon. I claim total BS on the story. 

I think she is looking for a free ride on the compo gravy train.

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

agree,

nothing in this country is clean and hygienic, including clinics and hospitals

its a laugh watching employees in hospitals, also top notch international hospitals, trying to keep things hygienic and sterile

the doctors are totally inept when it comes to sterility

fish tanks - manicure - pedicure - hair cut - shaving / your risk - all the tools are none clean - infections are always a risk

but of course - you are free to enjoy

With thanks and apologies to the Eagles.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

On 9/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, ravip said:

worried about his profits dropping,

Any business would be worried about its profits dropping anywhere in the world.

Never heard of a business that wants to run at a loss intentionally...

Governments? Crown corporations?

Archived