Thaksin In Australia

Old Croc

from ABC news:

Thailand's Thaksin on holidays in Melbourne

By Karen Percy

Thailand's exiled Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, is in Australia on a private visit.

Mr Thaksin's private jet arrived in Melbourne last night.

His Bangkok-based lawyer says Mr Thaksin will play golf and have a holiday over the next 10 days.

But the military junta in Thailand has been concerned about Mr Thaksin's regional visits, particularly after he met a senior member of the Singapore Government last month.

The meeting has prompted a diplomatic spat between Thailand and Singapore.

Mr Thaksin's lawyer says the former prime minister has no plans to meet any government officials or ministers while in Australia.

Mr Thaksin was ousted from office in a coup in September of last year.

He was in New York at the time, and has not been allowed to return to Thailand.

Thai authorities are not yet commenting on Mr Thaksin's presence in Australia.

His visit to Australia is expected to attract scrutiny from Thai authorities concerned about a possible return to politics by Mr Thaksin.

A spokesman for the Australian Government says it is not aware of Mr Thaksin's itinerary.

I trust Australia has not forgotten Thaksin's remarks regarding Australia wanting to join ASEAN.

Something about Australians having the wrong colour hair, skin and eyes.

To be fair, you sure it wasn't Mahathir from Malaysia?

The reason I say this was the fact that Thailand and Australia signed a FTA on his watch, insituted a Working Holiday Visa between the two countries and Australians as far as I know are the only nationality techically where business people on arrival do not require a work permit to undertake meetings etc. They also enjoy more liberties so far as work permits go than most, if not all, other countries

Also that Thailand supported Australia's move for an ASEAN - Australia/NZ FTA which is a defacto membership of ASEAN....

I only hope though, he is stupid enough to grant another interview to an Australian journo. Last time he was there for the FTA signing, he was rippped to shreads live on TV. A very rare occurance.

:o Anyone with money can hire a jet at their own expense, and in Toxin's case, money is no obstacle..as an Australian I am somewhat interested in the process that allowed him to enter the country as there is no way I can get my Thai partner into the country as he does not have employment here in Thailand..Maybe he will be taken on a tour of the famous Yarra and if someone is quick witted they could tip the boat and he may fall into Melbourne's famous River..Then John Coward wil always be willing to throw a life raft to someone of his own ilk..how ashamed I feel as an Australian...maybe he could meet with Pauline Hanson, she seems to have a predilection for Azians....Dukkha

Hi TVs,

Surely pug face downer (the man least qualified to be but is foreign minister (don't mention cronys))

would meet him...

He and bushlicker were quite against the coup to "depose a democraticly elected government"

I was in Melbourne last night looking for him, I need some help on how to get my Bg back to oz and if he had any tips on visa for los.

cheers all

I just wish the Thai governmet would stop highlighting Thanksin's every move, it simly makes them look insecure and frightened of Box-Head.

That's right !

Interesting article at Irrawaddy.org about that:

"Let Thaksin Talk—We No Longer Have to Listen"

excerpts:

" Should we jump every time Thaksin Shinawatra gives an interview? Is the political maneuvering of the former prime minister consuming too much of our energy? "

and:

" The generals should learn to educate themselves on how the international media work so that they will not have to cry out every time they read or hear Thaksin's comments. The only way they can silence Thaksin or render his arguments irrelevant is to make sure that the investigations into the former leader's misdeeds produce results as soon as possible. "

Full article here:

http://www.irrawaddy.org/aviewer.asp?a=6663&z=165

LaoPo

from ABC news:

Thailand's Thaksin on holidays in Melbourne

By Karen Percy

Thailand's exiled Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, is in Australia on a private visit.

Mr Thaksin's private jet arrived in Melbourne last night.

His Bangkok-based lawyer says Mr Thaksin will play golf and have a holiday over the next 10 days.

But the military junta in Thailand has been concerned about Mr Thaksin's regional visits, particularly after he met a senior member of the Singapore Government last month.

The meeting has prompted a diplomatic spat between Thailand and Singapore.

Mr Thaksin's lawyer says the former prime minister has no plans to meet any government officials or ministers while in Australia.

Mr Thaksin was ousted from office in a coup in September of last year.

He was in New York at the time, and has not been allowed to return to Thailand.

Thai authorities are not yet commenting on Mr Thaksin's presence in Australia.

His visit to Australia is expected to attract scrutiny from Thai authorities concerned about a possible return to politics by Mr Thaksin.

A spokesman for the Australian Government says it is not aware of Mr Thaksin's itinerary.

Was at Bali last week as Antara (Indonesian official press) published.

I would just love to find out his visa arrangements.

Do you think he has another passport? ie American/UK etc?

I can't imagine him standing in the line at the Embassy, which he should seeing as he onlyy has a normal passport nowdays.

This has me intrigued...