Jump to content

With final horse races, Royal Turf Club bids adieu


webfact

Recommended Posts

With final horse races, Royal Turf Club bids adieu

By JITRAPORN SENWONG 
THE NATION

 

10dc4b20ef99e927a55a191f24c4cc8d-sld.jpe

 

IT WAS CURTAINS yesterday for the Royal Turf Club at Bangkok’s Nang Loeng horse-racing venue in Dusit district, where it had operated for more than a hundred years.

 

1a227d782759f54e737fe0668bc9e52c.jpeg

 

As many as 5,000 people showed up yesterday to watch the final races. The number of laps was increased to 10 – with 15 instead of the usual 14 horses galloping on the turf, before permanent closure of the site that first opened on December 18, 1916. 

 

The historic and final horse races competed for the Phraya (Khoyule na Ranong) Pradiphat Phuban Trophy. He was the co-founder of the club along with Chao Phraya Ramrakhop. The prize money was double the usual amount, giving horses, jockeys and staff a higher share.

 

82003e015a994e45385cce712a6c3c48.jpeg

 

The closure of the venue was because the club’s lease contracts with the Crown Property Bureau for the track, a five-storey stand, two six-storey parking buildings, a five-storey management building, a one-storey structure and a swimming pool had expired.

 

3920d6ff881e172157e74c66d6aca0b9.jpeg

 

Royal Turf Club board vice chairman General Boonlert Kaewprasit said many people felt saddened by the closure of the venue. He said the club had urged the Interior Ministry to issue a regulation increasing the frequency of horse races held at another venue – the Royal Bangkok Sports Club – to four times a month (from the usual two times a month) to aid those affected by the facility’s closure. 

 

cc0673922209782646cf1488b9495a18.jpeg

 

Royal Turf Club secretary-general General Wichaya Thephatsadin na Ayutthaya confirmed that the Interior Ministry was considering the request and a regulation would be issued next week. 

 

He said the site will be returned officially to the Crown Property Bureau on October 4 for construction of a monument for the late King Rama IX and a museum to honour Her Majesty Queen Sirikit.

 

9191b6d1ee3b3ce310a665b565cd22da.jpeg

 

Some 100 workers at the Nang Loeng site will be laid off with compensation equivalent to six months’ salary, he said, adding a new site for horse racing was under discussion.

 

7e1db2a5aff2af291a869fe765a6b44d.jpeg

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354596

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-17
Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

so thais can't play cards, foreigners can't have decks of cards in their bridge games, but thailand has a lottery and horse racing and muay thai fights with betting. 

I had a Farang friend that belonged to the Club back in the 1970s.I went there many times.as well as the turf club in Singapore.Of all the horse and pony racing circuits in Asia, Thailand was known  to have the most dishonest races in Asia. Sometime there were stories of jockeys calling in sick because they were threatened  by both sides  to both win and to loose.and horses dying after their "vitamin" injection.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or has someone got their eye on the astronomical land price this area would bring.?

If in fact it turns out that a monument is built to our Beloved Late King well & good.

Now what about the Tobacco Monopoly Land when they vacate next year ?

Another lung for the city I hope ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

so thais can't play cards, foreigners can't have decks of cards in their bridge games, but thailand has a lottery and horse racing and muay thai fights with betting. 

Thais can play cards and foreigners can have decks of cards for bridge.  What they cannot do is gamble on those activities because that is illegal. Gambling on Muay Thai is also illegal.

 

Gambling in the controlled area of a racecourse on the official tote is legal, as is the lottery.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are laying off 100 workers, affecting not only them but their families, to build a museum? It must be very, very large and very important to do that.

They are also giving those workers, who have had a lot of notice of the closure, 6 months salary, they are not exactly being turfed out on to the streets penniless and without notice.

 

I think you'll find that the Thai Royal family is a very important institution in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

I had a Farang friend that belonged to the Club back in the 1970s.I went there many times.as well as the turf club in Singapore.Of all the horse and pony racing circuits in Asia, Thailand was known  to have the most dishonest races in Asia. Sometime there were stories of jockeys calling in sick because they were threatened  by both sides  to both win and to loose.and horses dying after their "vitamin" injection.

Wow, a hearsay story about something that may have happened nearly 50 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Wow, a hearsay story about something that may have happened nearly 50 years ago.

Hearsay, why, or is it just because you say so? You are in no position to say whether the story is true or not!

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, joebrown said:

Hearsay, why, or is it just because you say so? You are in no position to say whether the story is true or not!

You did seem to be suggesting that your friend in Singapore told you something dodgy about Thailand and in which case it is hearsay. 

I didn't say it was untrue but I did say that it allegedly happened almost half a century ago according to someone , not you, and my inference was that it was irrelevant now and was no more than a Thai bash.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You did seem to be suggesting that your friend in Singapore told you something dodgy about Thailand and in which case it is hearsay. 

I didn't say it was untrue but I did say that it allegedly happened almost half a century ago according to someone , not you, and my inference was that it was irrelevant now and was no more than a Thai bash.

I said nothing.  I have no friends in Singapore. TVF member 'AsiaHand' post #7 talked about HIS friend not mine. It's about time you took the time to read properly before you 'jump down peoples throats'. Not the first time I've said as much too you, is it?

PM Prayut has 'threatened' to stamp out corruption in LOS, so even he believes it's a problem, or do you disagree with him? The closure of the Royal Turf Cub might lessen his workload. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

I had a Farang friend that belonged to the Club back in the 1970s.I went there many times.as well as the turf club in Singapore.Of all the horse and pony racing circuits in Asia, Thailand was known  to have the most dishonest races in Asia. Sometime there were stories of jockeys calling in sick because they were threatened  by both sides  to both win and to loose.and horses dying after their "vitamin" injection.

I have been involved with horses in Oz for a very long time and am sure we could teach the Thais a few not so obvious tricks. It is an expensive game to be involved in as an owner so you are always trying to get a better price when the time is right. Have had my horses in a few "boat races" but the good jockeys always let you know before what was happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, joebrown said:

Hearsay, why, or is it just because you say so? You are in no position to say whether the story is true or not!

Yes, I am, as is anyone else here.  It apparently wasn't his personal experience and it was the best part of 50 years ago with nothing to back his assertion up, so it was hearsay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, joebrown said:

I said nothing.  I have no friends in Singapore. TVF member 'AsiaHand' post #7 talked about HIS friend not mine. It's about time you took the time to read properly before you 'jump down peoples throats'. Not the first time I've said as much too you, is it?

PM Prayut has 'threatened' to stamp out corruption in LOS, so even he believes it's a problem, or do you disagree with him? The closure of the Royal Turf Cub might lessen his workload. 

You seem to have appointed yourself spokesman for so many posters here so perhaps if you didn't jump in on other people's comments making it seem as though you had made them errors wouldn't be made!

 

What has this closure got to do with stamping put corruption?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Just Weird said:

You seem to have appointed yourself spokesman for so many posters here so perhaps if you didn't jump in on other people's comments making it seem as though you had made them errors wouldn't be made!

 

What has this closure got to do with stamping put corruption?

 

On 9/18/2018 at 12:02 PM, Just Weird said:

You seem to have appointed yourself spokesman for so many posters here so perhaps if you didn't jump in on other people's comments making it seem as though you had made them errors wouldn't be made!

 

What has this closure got to do with stamping put corruption?

So it's the 'pot calling the kettle black' now is it? You have the gall to say I jump in on others' posts when in 1 year your daily average is 13 posts, and in 5 years mine is 0.6 !!

As you know, and frequently do, anyone on this forum can comment on anyone else's post.

With regard to your last sentence, corruption is endemic here in Thailand or maybe your rose tinted glasses shield you from this aspect of Thai culture?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, joebrown said:

 

With regard to your last sentence, corruption is endemic here in Thailand or maybe your rose tinted glasses shield you from this aspect of Thai culture?

Corruption is endemic worldwide. 

 

What has corruption got to do with the closure of the race course, then?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Corruption is endemic worldwide. 

 

What has corruption got to do with the closure of the race course, then?

Race course....Gambling......Corruption. Try joining the dots and you might understand. Sometimes I think you just post and post and post so that you always get the last word in.

However, I'm surprised you have nothing to say about the first 2 paragraph's of my post #25 above!

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, joebrown said:

Race course....Gambling......Corruption. Try joining the dots and you might understand. Sometimes I think you just post and post and post so that you always get the last word in.

However, I'm surprised you have nothing to say about the first 2 paragraph's of my post #25 above!

Betting at the tote is not illegal and, therefore, does not automatically suggest corruption neither does it require the joining of any dots.

 

I do not care whether I get the last word in or not (even though it appears that some  posters do!) but if I do that is beyond my control, all it takes is someone else to post after me if they feel that they have something to say.

 

I didn't comment on that garbage in your first two paragraphs because it was garbage!

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Betting at the tote is not illegal and, therefore, does not automatically suggest corruption neither does it require the joining of any dots.

 

I do not care whether I get the last word in or not (even though it appears that some  posters do!) but if I do that is beyond my control, all it takes is someone else to post after me if they feel that they have something to say.

 

I didn't comment on that garbage in your first two paragraphs because it was garbage!

Got out of the wrong side of the bed (again) post of the day award goes to...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...