Aircraft bombs found among metal scrap at secondhand shop in Kalasin

webfact

Aircraft bombs found among metal scrap at secondhand shop

By Jakkapong Rawiwan 
The Nation

91b44363859a078d312197f3499e2592.jpeg

Two MK-82 free-fall, non-guided general purpose aircraft bombs were discovered on Sunday in piles of metal scrap at a “Sieng Kong” secondhand mechanic parts-trading shop in the Khong Chai district of Kalasin province.

The dud bombs – suspected to be remnants of a World War II aircraft or from a warfare tactic rehearsal years ago – were discovered before shop workers would cut them into pieces, which could have caused an explosion, said shop owner Samniang Wimanay, 50.

617f65174247d3d28385c3ce61d928f3.jpeg

Khong Chai precinct superintendent Pol Colonel Boonrit Chaweewat led other policemen to inspect the 1.30-metre-long bombs, together weighing 450 kilograms, at the Krittipa Parts shop on Phon Thong- Yang Talad Road at 10am.

Experts later removed them from the shop to a safe location for a proper disposal later. He said police would investigate the source of these bombs.

282bddbcefeb50cfa55c17b3e9b0e65a.jpeg

91b949968390e3d42f4ee3ce9adee415.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354581

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-17

"The dud bombs – suspected to be remnants of a World War II aircraft or from a warfare tactic rehearsal years ago – were discovered before shop workers would cut them into pieces, which could have caused an explosion"

Good for them.  A few years ago, a similar find was discovered in bangkok.  They took it to a scrap dealer, hoping to make a few baht, for lunch I reckon.  There , they began cutting up the metal with a torch, with predictable results.  I think it took out a whole bkk block, or a good portion thereof. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

bombs – suspected to be remnants of a World War II aircraft ...Experts later removed them

I'm no expert but they just look like bomb shells to me? When I was last in Laos they were everywhere in scrap yards. A quick google also suggests the MK series were developed in the 1950's so more likely Indo China war than WW2? 

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

Good for them.  A few years ago, a similar find was discovered in bangkok.  They took it to a scrap dealer, hoping to make a few baht, for lunch I reckon.  There , they began cutting up the metal with a torch, with predictable results.  I think it took out a whole bkk block, or a good portion thereof. 

That was a WW11 bomb weighing 250Kg a week later they found another at the same building site as the first one

11 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

"The dud bombs – suspected to be remnants of a World War II aircraft or from a warfare tactic rehearsal years ago – were discovered before shop workers would cut them into pieces, which could have caused an explosion"

Buildings can be rebuilt, not so for the rocket scientists that were involved

These were the commonly used American bombs, carried by the B-52 bomber during the war in Vietnam. These bombs are still used today and also serves as a basis for many modernised guided-bomb types.

They are normally filled with Tritonal or Minol which are general explosives or they are filled with the Australian explosive Composition H6 which is used for underwater explosives.

Even though they look empty there is still the detonator system inside and there would be enough explosive residue to cause a decent explosion if triggered, oxy-acetylene touch or LPG cutting touch or the sparks and heat from a metal cutting disc would be enough to detonate them

Archived