Two teenagers drown while saving friend in Chaiyaphum

webfact

Two teenagers drown while saving friend

By Sutthipomh Settharangsi 
The Nation

1d6345f1b811d5226ef30a88c0aefc0a.jpeg

Two schoolchildren died while trying to save another friend from drowning in Chaiyaphum province on Saturday, Pol Captain Saksith Tingkhasert of Kaeng Khro precinct said on Sunday.

Seven lower-secondary students visited a local check dam in Tambon Nong Pai in Kaeng Khro district on Saturday afternoon when one girl, riding a motorcyle, fell into the water along with her two-wheeler. 

The friends jumped into the water despite the strong currents to rescue her and succeeded. But two of the friends – a 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy – drowned.

b2aaf6ef98abd6d95cbe7b293b6b79ed.jpeg

The accident happened at 3.30pm. Rescue workers managed to pull the two bodies out of the water at around 10pm. 

The incident prompted district chief Chaiyasith Chaisamritpol, who observed the mission, to warn parents that they must not let their children visit or play at water facilities unsupervised during the rainy season due to the surging water and strong currents. He also instructed community leaders to install warning signs at all local check dams and recreational water facilities to prevent future tragedies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354584

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-17

Heartbreaking, but sadly not an isolated event.  According to recent WHO and Thai Ministry of Public Health Reports, drowning is the leading cause of death in Thailand for  children ages 1-15, over 1,000 die each year.  The Thai Ministry of Public Health's Merit Maker-Drown No More Program and Rotary Club programs. are working to reduce this number.  My club, the Chiang Mai International Rotary Club will sponsor survival swimming and water safety training for our 1,000th 4th-grader this year.  Rotary Clubs in Patong Beach, and Lampang are also sponsoring survival swimming courses for poor children.  These courses are based on the Australian version of the Royal Life Saving Society curriculum.  With the generous help of the Safe Child Thailand U.K.-based foundation we are seeking to expand to build sustainable school-based survival swimming programs nationwide.  Want to learn more or help us with funding, equipment, facility rental, volunteer professional swim instructors (we use Thai instructors and provide training, assessment, and certification opportunities).  Personal message me, John Schorr, President Chiang Mai International Rotary Club, more info at www.cmirotary.org  

I’d sworn off posting on threads where people that I don’t know have died.

This time the governmental admonishing and future prevention measures that fails to mention not one child was old enough to be legally operating a motorbike did me in.

Ps: every time an unlicensed individual is involved in an incident the person to whom the bike is registered to should be also made liable and face charges.

Archived