Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Then I must be a psychopath.

The driver overtook a vehicle on the outside lane, then he approached a hill and probably intended to stay on that lane until over the hill and could see clearly if there were any slower moving vehicles on the other lanes.  Humans have a weakness, that is having a brain. This means when faced with a spur of the moment decision we have a delayed action having to think about it, unlike a fly that can react instantly in emergency situations. 

Not feeling it is safe to do so, or having enough reaction time are valid reasons, but also completely different reasons to, "why should he move over?" which was the only reason you gave previously, as if to imply that you feel that if you are not breaking a traffic rule you can just kill someone who is, which is obviously not how things work in anyone's mind other than a psyho's.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an insane video, things like this makes me wonder if I should completely stop driving in LoS

would not be surprised if this was a suicide case

as far as I can see from the video the bike is visible for more than 5 secs before the crash,

but of course, it takes time for scenes like this to really sink in, that the bike is actually coming towards you.

an evasive action could have been taken?, maybe so, BUT:

just turning left as soon as you understand that the bike is aiming for you could lead to whatever ugly incidents

first you need to understand that the bike is actually coming towards you

then you need to do some proper mirror scanning

then turn left - all this takes time

(not sure, but I think its breach of the rules to stay in the overtaking lane after you are done overtaking)

close to the house, I do a U-turn under a highway bridge,

narrow 1-way road with 2 90 degree turns, so cant really see much,

lots of bikes coming under the bridge in the wrong direction, including police bikes

what a country

Whilst the bike rider is clearly at fault, his reasons remain a mystery!

I know this bridge well and if as the article says the man was a local then he would have known it as well.

He would have had to have gone across 3 lanes of traffic to end up in that lane, which at the start of the bridge is separated from the oncoming traffic by a concrete barrier.

Then, where was he going to go...if he had made it over the bridge he would have to filter left back into fast traffic, or cut across 4 lanes of oncoming traffic to "shortcut" to the other side.

18 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

I'm not saying the bike was in the right, but the Kiwi seemed to be traveling pretty fast and could see the motorcycle for quite some time. He should have seen him coming, slowed down and moved over. Again the bike was in the wrong, but I think enough time was available for evasive action to have been taken..

Like someone already said it takes time to realize that they're coming towards you and no headlight working,plus not always possible when your checking mirrors to see the idiot Thais undertaking.

7 hours ago, Thian said:

I've been in India and didn't see them driving against traffic like Thai do....

But i believe you there'll be more countries where they have that nasty habit...Except Vietnam i'll never visit any of the ones you named.

Interestingly, The only country where I've seen a motorcyclist ghost riding like this was India, although it was exceptional. In the countries I've listed, they usually ride on the inside lane as they do here. I have never, as I recall, seen a motorcycle being ridden is this manner in Thailand. I do wonder whether he thought he was on a single carriageway.

I'm also somewhat critical of the Kiwi driver. If I was approaching a blind hilltop in the road, at high speed, in the outer lane, my survival 'alarm bells' would be ringing very loudly.

Expect the unexpected, slow down, move over. The road is not busy. He had plenty room around him. Defensive driving is so important here, as indeed everywhere.

20 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Unfortunately Thai's don't always see it that way and would likely blame the New Zealander  - If he wasn't in Thailand then this tragic event wouldn't have occurred.

Very true. Similar thing happened to me and yep, farangs fault! I guess in defense you could blame farang for inventing motorbikes, cars, roads and such which is all beyond the thais obviously. Perhaps blame 8mil year old africans so thais wouldnt exist in defense therefore would have never happened.

My sympathies are with the NZ chap. As I think mentioned on other similar threads, the local market where I live is/are accidents just waiting to happen. At dusk it's madness with kids riding motorbikes going the wrong way and adults doing the same thing. The other evening I saw the single traffic/pedestrian guide get clipped from behind by a m/c going the wrong way and the m/c went into a barrier which hit shoppers at a roadside stall. More fright than anything but the point is no one does a d**n thing about it. It it just laziness for the to ride the wrong or 's*d the law, if I want to ride that way I will' or a bit of both.

As for the dead man, my condolences to the family.

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Interestingly, The only country where I've seen a motorcyclist ghost riding like this was India, although it was exceptional. In the countries I've listed, they usually ride on the inside lane as they do here. I have never, as I recall, seen a motorcycle being ridden is this manner in Thailand. I do wonder whether he thought he was on a single carriageway.

I'm also somewhat critical of the Kiwi driver. If I was approaching a blind hilltop in the road, at high speed, in the outer lane, my survival 'alarm bells' would be ringing very loudly.

Expect the unexpected, slow down, move over. The road is not busy. He had plenty room around him. Defensive driving is so important here, as indeed everywhere.

They put a median separation thing on motorways so you don't have to think or worry about folk driving towards you whether the road has hills, bends, whatever..

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

that dose not cut it these days if as a farang you have any sense

Ummm.........the RTP have moved on from that "line of reasoning", so prevalent in the past??

A small advancement of thinking then. Wow!

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Like someone already said it takes time to realize that they're coming towards you and no headlight working,plus not always possible when your checking mirrors to see the idiot Thais undertaking.

It is something you should be expecting in Thailand, he should have been ready for it. I have to dodge idiots on bikes daily, it's easy when you know it's coming. Anyway, everyone makes mistakes I suppose. Perhaps old mate hasn't been driving in Thailand that long..

1 hour ago, transam said:

They put a median separation thing on motorways so you don't have to think or worry about folk driving towards you whether the road has hills, bends, whatever..

No, you shouldn't have to worry about folk driving toward you, but you do have to worry that there may be something in your lane, it could have been a broken down vehicle and judging by his reactions it is safe to assume that he would have hit whatever came up in his lane as he doesn't seem to notice the bike in the few seconds that it is visible. 

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, you shouldn't have to worry about folk driving toward you, but you do have to worry that there may be something in your lane, it could have been a broken down vehicle and judging by his reactions it is safe to assume that he would have hit whatever came up in his lane as he doesn't seem to notice the bike in the few seconds that it is visible. 

A broken down vehicle would not be coming towards you at speed would it...If kiwi was doing 60mph and the bike was doing 80mph we have a 140mph situation...

10 minutes ago, transam said:

A broken down vehicle would not be coming towards you at speed would it...If kiwi was doing 60mph and the bike was doing 80mph we have a 140mph situation...

The point is, judging by the car drivers reaction, or lack of, it appears that he would not have been able to stop should there have been a stationary vehicle in the road, the bike is visible for seconds, the car driver does nothing, in any normal country it would be investigated and if he was speeding or deemed to have not been paying due attention, he would be charged, and rightly so, the bike rider being more at fault does not negate all fault of the driver.

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The point is, judging by the car drivers reaction, or lack of, it appears that he would not have been able to stop should there have been a stationary vehicle in the road, the bike is visible for seconds, the car driver does nothing, in any normal country it would be investigated and if he was speeding or deemed to have not been paying due attention, he would be charged, and rightly so, the bike rider being more at fault does not negate all fault of the driver.

I reckon your dodging and dreaming..Now you want him investigated for speeding.....?

22 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Might well ask why the New Zealander was in the outside lane of a 3 lane road, when the middle lane was clear, and the vehicle in the inside lane appears to be going faster than him. 

He's only just overtaken two vehicles, and YOU have no idea how far in front of the second one he is. Maybe the middle lane wasn't clear to move into.?

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Dodging what?  All I am saying is that he does not react despite there being a few seconds of reaction time, did it not even occur to you to question what was happening during that time, was he on his phone, looking in his mirrors, changing the music, who knows, but for sure he was not looking ahead as the bike is clearly visible and he doesn't react at all.  Every Western country would investigate both vehicles, you find it funny that that would even be suggested, which makes you sound like one of the lowlifes who are only here because of the lack of law and order.

I could very well be a lowlife here, that is my business not yours, but YOU want to hang a guy on the correct side of the road at speed looking at something coming towards him at speed, perhaps having rides on his inside and confused what to do...But hey, perhaps the guy on the bike was doing the correct speed limit to bolster your case eh...?

PS. Why didn't the bike move over to his left where there was more road and a grassy bit, WHY...?

7 minutes ago, transam said:

I could very well be a lowlife here, that is my business not yours, but YOU want to hang a guy on the correct side of the road at speed looking at something coming towards him at speed, perhaps having rides on his inside and confused what to do...But hey, perhaps the guy on the bike was doing the correct speed limit to bolster your case eh...?

PS. Why didn't the bike move over to his left where there was more road and a grassy bit, WHY...?

No, I have not made any claim to who is guilty, I just think that going by his lack of reaction it should be investigated, as it would be anywhere normal.  And as for your question, I don't know, hence why it should be investigated, an idea that seems to bother you.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, I have not made any claim to who is guilty, I just think that going by his lack of reaction it should be investigated, as it would be anywhere normal.  And as for your question, I don't know, hence why it should be investigated, an idea that seems to bother you.

So the bike had road and verge to his left to move too, what was wrong with his reactions then....?

Have you thought the biker may well have been on a suicide mission...?

The only surprise here is that the faring was not arrested. In my town motorcyclists (and cars) driving against the traffic is just part of everyday driving. They even do it on major highways like the Rt 2 road from Saraburi into Isaan where traffic is bowling along at 90kph plus.

6 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

The only surprise here is that the faring was not arrested. In my town motorcyclists (and cars) driving against the traffic is just part of everyday driving. They even do it on major highways like the Rt 2 road from Saraburi into Isaan where traffic is bowling along at 90kph plus.

More fool them

On 9/18/2018 at 9:41 AM, colinneil said:

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

When a farang is involved in death accidents some thai family demand that falang pay for funeral no matter who fault it is. My own experience.

50 minutes ago, transam said:

So the bike had road and verge to his left to move too, what was wrong with his reactions then....?

Have you thought the biker may well have been on a suicide mission...?

I thought about suicide mission myself, but why not trade the motorbike with a gun, less painful and no need to involve innocent motorists.

2 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

It is something you should be expecting in Thailand, he should have been ready for it. I have to dodge idiots on bikes daily, it's easy when you know it's coming. Anyway, everyone makes mistakes I suppose. Perhaps old mate hasn't been driving in Thailand that long..

I'd agree on a 'normal road'.. i.e. a main town or city road....  and in such cases its not uncommon to see motorcylists traveling in the wrong direction on the shoulder to the left of lane 1 (far left lane) to take a short cut instead of u-turning further down the road and traveling in the correct direction.

.....But never in the 'fast lane' of a segregated 3 lane highway. 

I can only suspect that the motorcycle rider made a fundamental and fatal blunder in assuming he'd entered the road correctly and was unaware he was traveling in the wrong direction into oncoming traffic in lane 3 (right most lane).

3 minutes ago, bander said:

I thought about suicide mission myself, but why not trade the motorbike with a gun, less painful and no need to involve innocent motorists.

Sadly folk do it in different ways..I suppose when folk get to a point of ending it all what they want to do is at their forefront..When I think of blokes jumping off balconies the thought makes me cringe...Mind you I don't like heights....?

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

He had plenty room around him.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Really? How do you know this? Was the pickup he'd just passed still hanging off his rear, in the middle lane? I don't know.....and neither do you.

Taken out of context. The whole paragraph read:

''Expect the unexpected, slow down, move over. The road is not busy. He had plenty room around him. Defensive driving is so important here, as indeed everywhere''.

Slow down, back off and move in behind the pick up. Save your overtaking maneuver until after the bridge when you know it's safe to do so, not think it is.

I do wonder. If the vehicle had been driven by a Thai, how many of the Thai baiting fraternity would have chimed in with comments to the affect: ''Typical Thai, driving too fast in the outside lane with no regard for safety. Me first, me first''. But, of course, he wasn't a Thai and falangs don't do that sort of thing do they.

Do they?

What amazes me about this thread is that even in the light of such compelling factual evidence which leaves no doubt as to the cause of the accident there remains such debate and difference amongst many of us commenting.... 

The thread itself highlights how even when seeing the exact same video our experiences in life and Thailand result in varied understanding of 'how' this accident happened... from motorcyclist suicide to simply accident, to deliberate no-reaction, accidental no-reaction, realistic no-reaction etc and on to assuming blame where some indicate that in Thailand the Police would normally blame the farang, the farang pays etc... 

All such different opinions developed from a 10 second video clip of an accident... Astonishing... 

Archived