Vernon Unsworth – who is the Thai cave rescue diver suing Elon Musk for calling him 'paedo guy'?

webfact

You are absolutely correct in what you say.

BTW what did you do to help the boys?
I did nothing and intend to never help anybody in distress.
If that's selfish so be it. I look out for myself and my loved ones only.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

By all accounts it was an heroric effort by all involved - not everyone had to enter the cave to provide a valuable contribution.               
He contributed yes. Doesn't make him a hero.
The ladies selling noodles to the bystanders even contributed. Are they hero's for setting up food carts and making a few baht?

He will loose, Elon has a endless supply of money and I'm sure he has  evidence to support the accusations...
He could call me a pedophile 1000 times and I wouldn't sue. I'd ask him for a job.
I'm not stupid enough to sue a billionaire with connections worldwide.

I sure hope Vern is squeaky clean because they are digging deeper than he would ever imagine.

• Like 1

Of course it is, no one said you was. One day it may be your family in distress in your absence. Let’s hope other people have a different attitude. 
I don't expect anyone to help me or my loved ones.
I wouldn't expect it. That's the difference.

10 hours ago, canopy said:

Richard Stanton, one of two British cave divers who found the kids told Elon regarding the sub "It is absolutely worth continuing with the development of this system in as timely manner as feasible". I think most people will trust the judgement of the cave experts who were there, envisioned the idea of the sub, asked Elon for it, and were crucial in its very design.

Aside from vouching for Unsworth and his vital role in the rescue operation, Stanton also made the more recent comments concerning the mini-sub (from the Buzzfeed article):

"Musk claimed that the mini-sub, which ultimately was not used in the rescue, was built to Stanton’s specifications, and that it was not deployed only because too much water had been drained from the cave. Stanton, however, denied that was the reason, and said he did not recall providing exact specifications to Musk.

“We didn't use the tube because rescue operations were already well underway and it didn't have the necessary life support systems,” Stanton said to BuzzFeed News on Facebook Messenger.

“Essentially, it wasn't developed enough. I do think it has promise in certain situations and I hope they keep working on it to get it in shape for evaluation and to be considered as a viable alternative in future underwater rescue scenarios.”

20 hours ago, fake farang said:

because the old guy started it

Did he? 'Cos to any intelligent person, a multi-multi-billionaire is a walking insult and offensive to society at large; just as the robber barons of old.For one to pop-up out of the blue 'sticking his oar' into an already fraught situation is enough to try the patience of a saint.

Edited by swanny321
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Stanton also made the more recent comments concerning the mini-sub

This is earth shattering stuff worthy of its own topic. Stanton was instrumental and worked cordially with Elon from the beginning, personally requesting the sub. However, his latest remarks are a direct slap in the face--"it didn't have the necessary life support systems". Really? Did he fail to notice the life support systems were 100% complete and tested with divers in the pool? Did anyone pick up what "necessary" part was missing? Thus I am skeptical of his recent statements as being anything other than a stab in the back to stick up for a friend. But if he can provide technical clarity on this statement I could definitely change my view.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, swanny321 said:

Did he? 'Cos to any intelligent person, a multi-multi-billionaire is a walking insult and offensive to society at large; just as the robber barons of old.For one to pop-up out of the blue 'sticking his oar' into an already fraught situation is enough to try the patience of a saint.

Very plebeian of you. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, swanny321 said:

to any intelligent person, a multi-multi-billionaire is a walking insult and offensive to society at large

Without these people you'd still be living in a cave chucking spears. Why don't you boycott all the companies of these evil people you hate and see how enjoyable your life is. Elon created 50000 jobs. That's a lot of food on the table. What have you done? I think you got it backwards as to who is the walking insult.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, canopy said:

This is earth shattering stuff worthy of its own topic. Stanton was instrumental and worked cordially with Elon from the beginning, personally requesting the sub. However, his latest remarks are a direct slap in the face--"it didn't have the necessary life support systems". Really? Did he fail to notice the life support systems were 100% complete and tested with divers in the pool? Did anyone pick up what "necessary" part was missing? Thus I am skeptical of his recent statements as being anything other than a stab in the back to stick up for a friend. But if he can provide technical clarity on this statement I could definitely change my view.

Stanton was actually in the rescue team and was on the site.

I would believe him rather than Musk or you. He does not have to provide anything for you.

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Aside from vouching for Unsworth and his vital role in the rescue operation, Stanton also made the more recent comments concerning the mini-sub (from the Buzzfeed article):

"Musk claimed that the mini-sub, which ultimately was not used in the rescue, was built to Stanton’s specifications, and that it was not deployed only because too much water had been drained from the cave. Stanton, however, denied that was the reason, and said he did not recall providing exact specifications to Musk.

“We didn't use the tube because rescue operations were already well underway and it didn't have the necessary life support systems,” Stanton said to BuzzFeed News on Facebook Messenger.

“Essentially, it wasn't developed enough. I do think it has promise in certain situations and I hope they keep working on it to get it in shape for evaluation and to be considered as a viable alternative in future underwater rescue scenarios.”

17 minutes ago, canopy said:

Without these people you'd still be living in a cave chucking spears. Why don't you boycott all the companies of these evil people you hate and see how enjoyable your life is. Elon created 50000 jobs. That's a lot of food on the table. What have you done? I think you got it backwards as to who is the walking insult.

OK fanboy, kinda helps if your families been wealthy for generations and you're father is an electro-mechanical engineer.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Stanton was actually in the rescue team and was on the site. I would believe him

So in other words you believe Stanton when he emphasized to Elon how important the sub could be to their rescue mission. It's good to hear you believe the sub was a good idea and  Elon was the right person to develop it.

Now come on. It's hard not to notice the sub life support systems worked perfectly when tested in the pool so it raises questions on what Stanton meant when he said there were missing bits. Curiously, he chose not to give any details or supporting information. It's like watching the sun come up and he says no actually it didn't. If Elon's sub was in fact incomplete or phony then he should be exposed as a farce. Stanton can either cement his credibility by exposing what he knows or be seen as questionable in character due to the circumstances and timing of his statement. And by the way I have nothing to do with this so there is nothing to believe/disbelieve from me. As you can see I am prepared to believe whoever provides the best proof. And right now the burden of proof rests with Stanton.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Working by being tested in a well lit pool with no solid obstacles and plenty of open space is merely the first phase of testing.

Did they for example use a few children as test modules, did they use children who could not speak their language, did they test in it the dark using only headlights in dirty flowing water. Was it tested in enclosed spaced with obstacles?

Was it designed from scratch or built ad hoc with bits from other systems?

It may have worked in some places, but would you allow your child to be taken out in a little tested submarine by people who had not been trained to use it, or perhaps people who had been trained to use it, but who were NOT trained and skilled cave divers and who had most probably never been in a situation like that before.

I would be much happier to have my child rescued by a skilled cave diving rescue team who are very experienced and actually know what they are doing, and have done it many times before.

Which they did and had 100% success using proven techniques..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Stanton can either cement his credibility by exposing what he knows or be seen as questionable in character due to the circumstances and timing of his statement. And by the way I have nothing to do with this so there is nothing to believe/disbelieve from me. As you can see I am prepared to believe whoever provides the best proof. And right now the burden of proof rests with Stanton.

Stanton's credibility was cemented years before this incident, and at this point is rock solid. There's no reason for him to provide proof of anything - the only reason he's commented at all in this matter is to vouch for Unsworth's character and his role in the operation, and to briefly address the question of why the sub was unsuitable when it finally arrived in the late stages of the rescue. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, sanemax said:

No it isnt .

The photo that you described would not be enough to prove a pedo accusation .

Prove no, but we're talking about a jury here, their opinions are what will count.  An innocent photo, taken out of context, can influence their whole viewpoint.

Take a photo of a man pouring a beer over a woman's head, and he's a bastard.  Show the previous photo with her hair on fire, and he's a hero.  Context is everything.  

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, sebastion said:

He could call me a pedophile 1000 times and I wouldn't sue. I'd ask him for a job.
I'm not stupid enough to sue a billionaire with connections worldwide.

I sure hope Vern is squeaky clean because they are digging deeper than he would ever imagine.

Spot On....Logical

On 9/19/2018 at 6:26 PM, transam said:

Good grief....So all folk with money ain't stupid......?

May I bring into the equation a bloke in charge of the most powerful country on the planet and daft stuff that has come out of his shout box...?

Speak English son, what is a bloke, daft,shout box and are you having another bad day self righteous one?

On 9/19/2018 at 1:01 PM, Parsve said:

Maybe the "low" amount is to show that he is more interested of to show that he is clean than of the money.

My assumption would be that is just a precedent case - then other cases can be theoretically brought in other jurisdictions as well. No Lawyer would take this on for a cut of 67K. Expect a potential list of actions/suits as long as your arm which will be settled out of court.

On 9/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ossy said:

Why? . . . Do you think they had a clue what they were doing? If the English Cave Rescue Organisation (CRO) had been properly asked for help, let's say by midday (Thai time; 6am UK) next day, Sunday, they'd have had a dozen expert cave divers or more, plus full gear, there by the Monday, with more to follow if called, and only needed the SEALs for portage and pumping. As it was, just 2 UK divers and a rescue logistics expert got there by Wednesday and that was with Thai officialdom 'running' the show. And with the utter chaos that followed, those kids can now thank their lucky stars they're back, playing footie, again. 23 jun to 19 sep, 3 weeks of which underground … that's a full 2 months that the Prayuth gang exploited these poor kids for.

Yes, let's see an official report . . . should be interesting.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:09 PM, Derek B said:

I would like to see more of the actual kit used in the rescue including the pumping units - the logistics of the operation were massive. I guess there will be an official report in due course - from the Navy Seals perhaps.