Electric vehicles on the fast track in Thailand

webfact

27 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

True, but even if every kilowatt going into the EV is generated by burning fossil fuels, EV's are still 40% cleaner than regular cars.

energy density of  batteries is crap compared to petrol/gas/benzene

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I totally love the idea of affordable, clean electric cars. However, I don't think that electric cars are an option in countries where the thermometer dips below - 10 C, or even below the freezing point.

In my experience working outdoors with handheld radios and flashlights, frozen batteries don't last very long.

So, I don't think we will ever see a surge of electric cars in the Nordic countries...

I provide Lithium powered forklifts, the batteries can operate to -25 degrees in freezer operations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Just out of curiosity, how long does the car keep its charge?

I am somewhat skeptical to the use in countries like mine, but do have an open mind.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/cold-weather-electric-cars-batteries#.W6Hi3bhoTIV

https://www.fleetcarma.com/electric-car-range-in-bitter-cold/

I cant see why there isnt some sort of standard universal battery pack/module, and you swap a flat one for a charged one at a service station, the same as gas bottles etc. Everyones electric car design incorporates a removable battery module, when its almost flat pull in to a station and get a full one, the old one goes on charge for use in another car. No need for charge stations etc, run flat away from a station and they deliver one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carerra said:

A tip to LazySlipper. Norway is the leading country when it comes to sale of electric vehicles ( both pure electric and hybrid. The sale of these cars are now more than 50% of the total sale. I can tell LazySlipper that the temperature is far below -10 degrees celsius in winter, and the EV cars work well. 

Carerra

Correct.  21.5 units per 1000 people, that's 14x more than US.  Furthermore, by 2025 Norway aims at 100% EV's... that's only a good 6 years from now.  And that all with their winter...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

A lot of talk again and no substance.
I wonder why several European countries are now more or less at 80-100% production of renewable energy and some days harvest more renewable energy then they need building enormous storage facilities for later use.

This country has not even started yet.
They make it prohibitively expensive to use solar or wind power in private homes or companies who would benefit greatly.
I wonder why that is. People are choking on fumes in the cities and nothing is done.
Wouldn’t it be great to plug your car into your own wind or solar produced electric storage outlet and drive to work without ever seeing a gasoline station again?

Almost noise free and without releasing toxic fumes into the air.

Oh hey I forget the PTT monopoly would tumble and EGAT could not rip us off anymore when ever the government needs more money they raise electricity prices slightly and steadily.

How much energy is produced in Thailand from renewables when other countries are at or close to 100 %?

EV ? You are either stuck with something “local” like a Nissan Leaf at 2.4 Million Baht - or have to be a multi Millionaire to be able to afford an imported model.

Nothing but talk again - and once production of EV vehicles starts here it will very likely be Japanese / German and for export because hardly anybody here can afford them.

Who needs clean cars when we can poison the air as long as we can sell to the masses and rip them off with exorbitant prices.

A 2018 Camry which is sold in the US with all the latest technology that is not even included in the top model here starts at 24.000 $ the basic model in Thailand is 1,399.000 Baht what a rip off is that?

Here are the sad facts about EVs in Thailand and not even talking about renewable energy production of which the Target is 30% by 2030!

The Thai automobile market is not ready to sell EVs due primarily to their high prices due to importing.

Data from LMC Automotive shows that Hybrid car sales in Thailand during 2015 accounted for a mere 1% of total cars sold, the same level as in 2012.
This reflects the fact that despite the availability of imported Hybrids or Plug-in hybrid cars in the Thai market, these cars have not received much interest from consumers.
The low sales figures are due mainly to premium prices for EVs compared to conventional cars.

For example, the NISSAN LEAF that costs 2.4 million baht including taxes has equivalent acceleration to an average large car like a TOYOTA CAMRY 2.0G that sells for only 1.4 million baht.

Kunat Tharasrisuthi, a senior analyst at LMCA, holds similar views, saying that, “prices for EVs and hybrid cars in Thailand are high and Thai people perceive that EVs and hybrid cars are too expensive compared to the performance of the same or similar conventional models”.
As for manufacturers, NISSAN and TOYOTA both feel that the Thai automobile market will only be ready for EVs if there are supportive government measures promoting more competitive prices for EVs.
Examples of such measures are waivers on EV import duties to reduce prices or subsidies for EV buyers, as is the case in countries where an EV market already exists, such as South Korea and Germany.

Business conditions are unfavorable for the sale and manufacturing of EVs.

First, the limited number EV charging stations, with only 20 stations in Bangkok and none upcountry, is insufficient to spur confidence among consumers and manufacturers. A case study of NGVs shows that a shortage of NGV stations was the main impediment during the initial phase. That is, in the first 5 years starting from 2001, when only 44 NGV stations operated, the share of NGV usage stayed under 1% of total registered cars in 2005. In fact, it took another 10 years for major car manufacturers to begin full scale NGV production. Second, Thailand is not ready to support the transition towards new business models that will arise with EV usage. These new models include car sharing systems that are currently used in USA, France, Japan and South Korea, systems to handle and recycle flat batteries, or businesses that link with related industries like smart grid and alternative energy sources. The third factor is the fact that Thailand’s technological capacity is unable to support the production of primary EV parts, such as Li-ion batteries and motor drives and control units. These parts need to be imported, leading consumers to question whether or not these car parts would be readily available for car servicing and maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wow!you typed all that from phone.. It would have been simpler to say Thailand is currently unable to meet the electric demands of their people. How can they possibly begin to consider doing it by charging vehicles in a mass scale

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I cant see why there isnt some sort of standard universal battery pack/module, and you swap a flat one for a charged one at a service station, the same as gas bottles etc. Everyones electric car design incorporates a removable battery module, when its almost flat pull in to a station and get a full one, the old one goes on charge for use in another car. No need for charge stations etc, run flat away from a station and they deliver one.

Over time the life span from one full charge becomes shorter, people would not want to swap their new battery for a battery they don't know how long the charge will last.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Over time the life span from one full charge becomes shorter, people would not want to swap their new battery for a battery they don't know how long the charge will last.

Agreed, but it can't be rocket science to put some sort of counter on a battery pack.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, wgdanson said:

Agreed, but it can't be rocket science to put some sort of counter on a battery pack.

So you need a charge and all they have is old batteries and you expect to hand o Dr your new battery that holds a good charge? This would not work. Also these batteries in a car should be 48 or 80 V and weigh between 250 and 350 KG. Not easy to simply swap out. On of the boys of a lithium battery is the ability to fast charge and opportunity charge without needing to replace it every charge. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, carerra said:

A tip to LazySlipper. Norway is the leading country when it comes to sale of electric vehicles ( both pure electric and hybrid. The sale of these cars are now more than 50% of the total sale. I can tell LazySlipper that the temperature is far below -10 degrees celsius in winter, and the EV cars work well. 

Carerra

These EV cars have recirculating system that keeps the batteries warm in the winter and cool.in the summer.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:10 PM, kannot said:

energy density of  batteries is crap compared to petrol/gas/benzene

Find a Petro car to race a EV car at a drag strip and see who wins. There isnt one mass produced Petro car that would beat a EV car and very few exotic cars either. And I am not talking about the Bolt or Leaf EV cars but the Tesla. Well under 2 sec for 0 to 60 miles per hour.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, Peterw42 said:

Those batteries are in the frame area of the car. They are a huge sealed pack and heavy

Not a easy job to remove them. There are break through all the time with faster charging and driving distance. We are still in infancy phase.of EV.

Find a Petro car to race a EV car at a drag strip and see who wins. There isnt one mass produced Petro car that would beat a EV car and very few exotic cars either. And I am not talking about the Bolt or Leaf EV cars but the Tesla. Well under 2 sec for 0 to 60 miles per hour.

You are right - the only petrol car that was able to beat the Tesla 3 - a family car - was a modified race car with 1200 horse power and it won only just !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On September 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM, LazySlipper said:

You guys keep saying Norway. One country is hardly a dip in the bucket.

Canada will never go for it, nor do I think Russia will etc...

Norway is a lot richer per capita than Canada and other countries. Give other examples other than just one country and then your argument will start to tip the scale...

The whole point of mentioning Norway was somebody said electric cars wouldn't fly in cold countries......Wrong.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

where will the chargers be sited ? locals would be running their TVs at the power points

Near my house at lat Krabang, Paseo have installed chargers both inside and outside. I was talking with a woman the other day charging her car, she has one of only six Teslas in Thailand, it was a nice looking car. One complaint she did have was a few days previously people had parked their cars in these spaces blocking the chargers. Any charging stations need to be managed properly.