How to stop mosquitos sucking my blood

punchandjudy

17 hours ago, NaamGin said:

Eat garlic and lots of it. Not only will the mossies not bite you, but good to keep your blood pressure down too. 

And no one with any disease, indeed, no one art all, will come anywhere near you.  And with no friends you may not live longer but it will definitely seem that way. 555

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, madusa said:

Overkill. No necessity to use a sledgehammer. Don't look like a mosquito trap to me though, is that the right photo you have on?  Sure it is not for BBQ ? I see the gas tank below for the BBQ fire. No, still don't look right for me.

The picture is of a popular but expensive mosquito trap.  They are called Mosquito Magnets and are sold in Homepro and other places.   If Dengue fever or malaria comes to our area I will get one. The gas tank burns LPG to create CO2. Which attracts mosquito to be killed. They are moderately  costly to buy and run but VERY  effective and will attract and kill mosquitos from a wide area.  For people with money to burn, literally.

Edited by The Deerhunter

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

The picture is of a popular but expensive mosquito trap.  They are called Mosquito Magnets and are sold in Homepro and other places.   If Dengue fever or malaria comes to our area I will get one. The gas tank burns LPG to create CO2. Which attracts mosquito to be killed. They are moderately  costly to buy and run but VERY  effective and will attract and kill mosquitos from a wide area.  For people with money to burn, literally.

So, they finally invented an effective mosquito trap. When you find lots of mosquitoes in the toilet or room you could use the child toy that makes bubbles from soap. You just send out lots of bubbles . The wings of the mosquitoes when they come in contact with the soap bubbles just collapse and they drop. Effective only in confine area like room or toilet.

35 minutes ago, madusa said:

So, they finally invented an effective mosquito trap. When you find lots of mosquitoes in the toilet or room you could use the child toy that makes bubbles from soap. You just send out lots of bubbles . The wings of the mosquitoes when they come in contact with the soap bubbles just collapse and they drop. Effective only in confine area like room or toilet.

The biggest Mosquito magnet model claims to drag in every (presumable female) mosquito from up to 100 metre away and clear up to an  acre or more and keep it clear.  My daughter (married rich, software rich) had 3 of them in a luxury development on rural Phuket.   They had three of the damned things spread around the garden & patio area

They lived in a mansion with huge 10 foot high sliding doors from the living area out to the pool & patio area that they only closed late at night.  She offered the machines to me when they moved to another country but I declined.  I knew that the LPG and the special attractant chemical they need would make me not want to use them for money reasons and they would just become junk here.  Mosquitoes here are not too bad despite all our fruit trees but if Malaria or Dengue comes here I will have (the most expensive) model here in a moment.

32 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

The biggest Mosquito magnet model claims to drag in every (presumable female) mosquito from up to 100 metre away and clear up to an  acre or more and keep it clear.  My daughter (married rich, software rich) had 3 of them in a luxury development on rural Phuket.   They had three of the damned things spread around the garden & patio area

They lived in a mansion with huge 10 foot high sliding doors from the living area out to the pool & patio area that they only closed late at night.  She offered the machines to me when they moved to another country but I declined.  I knew that the LPG and the special attractant chemical they need would make me not want to use them for money reasons and they would just become junk here.  Mosquitoes here are not too bad despite all our fruit trees but if Malaria or Dengue comes here I will have (the most expensive) model here in a moment.

You lucky man. As for me, I was given a special mantra by an Indian holy man in Rajasthan . I just have to chant the mantra all mosquitoes loose their appetite for blood. Yes, it works because it invokes the universal love for all things big and small. It goes, "OM....... mali mali OM." The primodal sound in the universe. I don't suggest you try because you need to give up women, beer, meat and sleep on bed not more than 6 inches in height.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

You lucky man. As for me, I was given a special mantra by an Indian holy man in Rajasthan . I just have to chant the mantra all mosquitoes loose their appetite for blood. Yes, it works because it invokes the universal love for all things big and small. It goes, "OM....... mali mali OM." The primodal sound in the universe. I don't suggest you try because you need to give up women, beer, meat and sleep on bed not more than 6 inches in height.

Have you got anything for getting rid of joke replies on TVF? 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:00 PM, BritManToo said:

Ten years back when I first arrived, I got bitten loads every day.

Now I get around one bite a week, no screens on the windows, no repellent, don't understand it.

(I'm blood group 'o')

Wondering if I still get bitten, but no longer react to the venom, so don't notice the bites.

It is the mosquito's saliva that causes the bump from a mosquito bite. Many (but not all) people who live for years in place where they are bitten by mosquitoes often will build a tolerance to the saliva of the mosquito species that have been biting them, such that the body's reaction to the mosquito saliva is suppressed. The result is fewer bumps, which is interpreted as fewer bites, but only because some of the bites don't result in noticeable bumps. However, their body's reaction to bites from a different mosquito species will not be suppressed. Thus, the same person can move to a different location with different mosquito species, and will seem to be getting bitten more than the previous location. Why some people can develop the tolerance to a particular species' saliva, while others cannot, is unknown to science, but there clearly is a genetic component underlying the phenomenon. There are thousands of mosquito species in the world, but usually only a few species will predominate in a given urban location. In urban areas of Thailand, the most abundant species in Aedes albopictus, the Asian tiger mosquito, which does transmit Dengue and host of other viruses, but does not transmit malaria. Just thought you might like to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

Have you ever been to Northern BC?

(Incidentally, "Too much horror movies " should read - Watching too many horror movies.)

Where exactly is Northern BC?.  It seems "Watching too many horror movies" sounds right. So too much is wrong in what sense I wonder. Or not as good as it is spoken by today's standard?

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Have you got anything for getting rid of joke replies on TVF? 

Good people, clever people, kind people all driven away from this forum

Get rid of joke replies this forum will die a slow agonizing death. They will say oh TVF nothing much going on there, just some old expats with no sense of humor. We don't want that to happen do we?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madusa said:

Good people, clever people, kind people all driven away from this forum

Get rid of joke replies this forum will die a slow agonizing death. They will say oh TVF nothing much going on there, just some old expats with no sense of humor. We don't want that to happen do we?

I presume that you realise that my post was a joke?

Mozzie's are primarily attracted by CO'2, hence CO'2 is heavier than air so most bites are low on legs/body. they are also attracted by lactic acid smell, some people produce more in their sweat than others so are more prone to bites. If you are in this group use repellents. In fact just use anti mozzie sprays all the time, dengue can be fatal. .

On 9/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, madusa said:

Don't look like a mosquito trap to me though, is that the right photo you have on?  Sure it is not for BBQ ? I see the gas tank below for the BBQ fire. No, still don't look right for me.

It uses a propane tank as a fuel source to generate CO2, which is a mosquito attractant.  These big ones can have an effective range of an acre or more.  You can use it only outside, of course.