EU pushes October Brexit agreement, threatens no deal

webfact

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It all started with Cameron agreeing to a referendum.  Without that we wouldn't be in this mess. Referendums are always a dumb idea and I am sure that no government is going to make that mistake again any time soon!  People are not well informed enough to make valued judgements because they are never aware of the consequences.

The same applies to general elections, so why do you bother to vote?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Does the name "David Davis" mean anything to you?

Yes.  You are going to be so disappointed when an agreement is reached.  It seems to me that many remoaners are not thinking of Britain's future at all, but are instead hoping that the whole negotiating process goes belly-up, so that a "no-deal" conclusion would teach the leavers a lesson.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

It is the complexities which are being negotiated now.  An agreement will be reached at the eleventh hour.   All the "no deal" talk is just bluster.  Unravelling 40 years of EU membership takes time and most of the detailed work has been carried out behind the scenes. Of course, it is not easy and constant criticism of the work  being done, without knowledge of all the details is ridiculous.  Still, it seems to keep the remoaners  happy.  They will still be unhappy whatever the outcome of the negotiations, because they did not want the British people to have their say on the question of EU membership in the first place.  However, we will be out next March and that is it.

I certainly hope EU doesn't play UK's silly game of 'confusing the electorate'. That's British thing to do, not the EU way to do business or politics. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Yes.  You are going to be so disappointed when an agreement is reached.  It seems to me that many remoaners are not thinking of Britain's future at all, but are instead hoping that the whole negotiating process goes belly-up, so that a "no-deal" conclusion would teach the leavers a lesson.

On the contrariy. I'm hoping that the negotiations end with the UK as a member of EFTA, Although it's not at all a sure thing that EFTA will have them.

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Does that mean that the referendum back in 1975 was a dumb idea as well?

It took 40 years to get the second one yet many people are calling for a third one before the second one has played out. Would that be a dumb one too?

In 1975 it was much more straightforward without all the political games being played.  But the Common Market evolved into the EU, a much more complex animal.

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just as they were in 1975. I voted to join in 1975 and had to wait 40 years to change my vote back to Leave in 2016.

You joined the Common Market and for forty years we were part of it's evolution into something else, the EU.  Needs a complete overhaul and some wanted out and some wanted to stay and make the changes from within.  Both valid arguments but we are leaving and  that is what we have to deal with now.

I am not criticising the people voting to leave, I am criticising the politicians for screwing everything up. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, baboon said:

I am just hoping and praying that the current acrimony is simply brinkmanship / posturing before some sort of deal is made. No deal is better than a bad deal? Ball locks. We are in enough trouble as it is...

The PM will hope that the Hard Brexiteers have less to aim at during the Conservative Party conference.

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Just as they were in 1975. I voted to join in 1975 and had to wait 40 years to change my vote back to Leave in 2016.

I think I was still learning to speak properly in 1975 ?

It's funny how the age cap plays so significant role the way we feel about EU. 

I have no recollection when my country joined EU in 1995. I actually thought it happened in 1985, until I checked wikipedia. At the time, joining EU didn't mean anything to me. 

Now 23 years later I have learned to value the possibilities EU gives to me as well as to our younger generations. 

It's funny how the views of the world changes over time. 

5 hours ago, bomber said:

The EU shouldnt even have to be at a table with the UK goverment,its the UKs choice and they shouldnt and wont give anything perks to us,they know there is some big companies coming to their shores,plus the UK is only 8% of the EUs trade,the EU is 44% of the UKs trade,we know who needs who the most

In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Just contributing useful information or is there some inference we should draw from this?

just showing that we buy more than we sell to the eu, in response to the quoted post that stated we only buy 8% of eu exports, but thanks for policing the thread.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

just showing that we buy more than we sell to the eu, in response to the quoted post that stated we only buy 8% of eu exports, but thanks for policing the thread.

You walk to a bank and say, I demand to have ownership of half of your assets, as in my business I deposit 45% of my earnings to your bank and you only loan me 35% what I own! 

Therefore I should be owner of your bank! .. childish tarantum follows.. 

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I didn't know I was policing anything. I guess I should apologize for not reading you your rights before I posed the question.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Excuse my terminolgy however silly games comments generaly only appear from Anti Brexit campaigners.

As to EU business, that made me chuckle as Brussels way of doing business is a 7 year negotiations (Canada) & currently the Japan deal is still in its infancy.

Lastly, yes evidence of EU politics is mockery & bullying, that kind of politics maybe one reason the UK is relieved to be leaving.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Silly games refers to phony people who try to boaster themselves to show them more worthy than they really are. 

1 minute ago, citybiker said:

So are you implying those phoney people are only UK MP's?

Those which are elected.

Yes, mostly.

53 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Are our non-British 'friends' from the east, trying to confuse people who lack of understanding of statistics?

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

UK politicians are accountable, I doubt anyone would summarise Brexit as playing silly games.

Oh well never mind, it'll soon be March 2019 complete with transition.

March 2019 UK and EU will have same values, as we always had. 

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Value, integrity and respect will always be a mutual preference of course.

What is the reason we depart our common journey together?

All these negotiations are completely futile, as it boils down to a simple choice for the U.K., as the EU is serious about a common single market means free movement of people and services. So this means either;

1) Keep the U.K. intact with a customs border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and leave the single market. Hard Brexit, basically means same as no deal. Leavers happy as it stops immigration. N.Ireland very unhappy.

2) split the U.K. with a customs border between Northern Ireland and Great Britain. Free movements of goods, people and services between EU and N.Ireland. It will be the end of the UK, with possibly Scotland seceding in the near future as well.

3) No customs borders, so stay in the single market, meaning free flow of goods, but also EU people and services. This is the soft Brexit. The Leavers will never accept this though. 

"EU needs UK more than UK needs EU"

"Brexit is Brexit"

"There will be adequate food"

EU doesn't need UK to function properly. UK would be a good thing to be on our side, but her presence is optional. 

51 minutes ago, oilinki said:

"EU needs UK more than UK needs EU"

"Brexit is Brexit"

"There will be adequate food"

EU doesn't need UK to function properly. UK would be a good thing to be on our side, but her presence is optional. 

I am sorry for the 49% minority who want to stay in the EU.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I am sorry for the 49% minority who want to stay in the EU.

Everyone in EU countries understands that your country is going through temporary insanity. Each of our countries have gone through similar phase earlier. Yeah, we were angry.

We also know that each of our countries have large variety of people, who wote.

We also know that we have the Russian informatics professionals, trying to dismantle what is good and real in the western world.