Restless legs driving me crazy.

giddyup

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Ex wife years ago suffered from RLS, so you my sympathies. She tried all sorts of things and it would come and go. The most effective was plan old exercise, 10 kilometres on the treadmill at the gym, that night less symptoms. She was also on muscle relaxants, but cannot recall name etc.

I have had RLS for about 30 yrs and it is truly frustrating. I get no relief from leg exercise, though I run most days for enjoyment. I find

I've had a mild case of RLS for a long time and also sometimes individual muscles twitch, but as a martial artist I have my own therapy for the twitch. RLS is not the same problem as it is a sudden impulse. As far as I'm aware the cause is unknown so a definite remedy is, as yet, unlikely. For me, I've found that if I do a 'brief mini' workout just before going to bed RLS doesn't happen. However, I'm not suggesting that's a remedy for all because, imho, RLS happens for different reasons for different people. For example, RLS could signal nerve route repair or the exact reverse. I sympathize with the OP because not having control over one's body is worrying to say the least.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Ex wife years ago suffered from RLS, so you my sympathies. She tried all sorts of things and it would come and go. The most effective was plan old exercise, 10 kilometres on the treadmill at the gym, that night less symptoms. She was also on muscle relaxants, but cannot recall name etc.

Could be myalgia, a muscle spasm, a muscle gets twisted. Had it a while back (I walk everywhere) so painful I thought it was a hip replacement job coming up. Intern at Chula diagnosed myalgia, prescribed muscle relaxant. Fixed in one day. I'm still walking, no problems.   

I presume you have tried anti-histamines and/or anti-inflammatories at some stage. There is no obvious medical explanation why these should work, but they sometimes help muscle/nerve inflammation causing spasms.

One other poster suggested trying to break the cycle between the leg jerks and not being able to sleep. I don't think that poster is dismissing your physical distress, but suggesting maybe there is a way to fall asleep despite the symptoms (e.g. recognising that the symptoms aren't going to quickly disappear, but concentrating on ways and means of falling asleep despite the symptoms). If the stress caused by poor sleep and exhaustion disappears maybe it is a way of managing the problem.

Look, I'm not explaining this very well. Once before I had an insomnia related condition that meant I was always tired and in a cycle of stress. I knew I would eventually get tired enough for a decent sleep. I got to the state of mind where I thought f%$k this - lack of sleep is not going to kill me and I know I'll eventually get some sleep. Anyway, I got to the stage where I didn't care about the problem, didn't get frustrated about not being able to sleep. I'm still tired, but I'll fall asleep when I'm tired enough and I'm nt going to stress about it or care.

Sorry, I know this sounds wishy washy, or patronising. I suppose it is a mind over matter thing. I just doesn't care about the shit my legs are always pulling and I'll get on with my life anyway. I'm not going to stress about it if I can't change it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

To be clear, if what you have are strong leg jerks when falling asleep, this is NOT RLS.

Rather these are what is termed hypnic jerks or hypnagogic jerks.

RLS is a syndrome where there is a persistant sense of needing to move one's legs, a sort of antsy uneasy feeling in the legs.

While both can disturb falling asleep they are not the same thing and the various medications sometimes used for RLS are not AFAIK effective for hypnic jerks.

Thanks Sheryl. I did call my symptoms a Hypnic Jerk in my opening post.

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

She usually reads these posts, but maybe someone else has a similar problem and have managed to find some relief.

I suffered from this until recently, it nearly drove me insane and sometimes took 2 - 3 hours before I fell asleep

I went and saw the Doc about it and he subscribed a pill called Clofen 10Mg

It was gone by the second night and haven't had any issues since, now I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow

Highly recommended, give it a try

8 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

I suffered from this until recently, it nearly drove me insane and sometimes took 2 - 3 hours before I fell asleep

I went and saw the Doc about it and he subscribed a pill called Clofen 10Mg

It was gone by the second night and haven't had any issues since, now I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow

Highly recommended, give it a try

That sounds promising. Is it available at the pharmacy without a prescription?

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That sounds promising. Is it available at the pharmacy without a prescription?

I'm not sure if its available without a script but my Doc did give me a script for it

Maybe available in Thailand without a scrip, as many meds are

I would highly recommend them, I sleep like a baby since I started on them a few months ago 

3 minutes ago, GTgrizzly said:

Let me know how you go if you get some , I would be interested to see if it works for you as well as it did for me

What's the price? Did you get this in Thailand?

Edited by giddyup

8 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

Giddy, 

I suffer from Myleonuropathy..restless LG is mild compared... I take the generic of Lyrics, and plenty of b 12.. it helps but I have to tale Ambien for sleep..

I don't have RLS, I have Hypnic Jerks. Do you mean Lyrica?

Edited by giddyup

My partner has problems with it and cramping. Try to get her to take a magnesium/potassium supplement, but she is very anti pill of any kind. Hard to get her to drink more water, too.
Massage helps some, and I am delighted to assist, though sometimes "I no pain there! Lower leg!" ? Yeah, I can be a pig.
I recently have read some articles about sleeping with an unwrapped bar of soap under the sheet as a home remedy. Up to 45% of people who try it have reported success. Sounds goofy, but worth a try.
Speculation that the soap may provide magnesium. Maybe lavender scented would be a good idea, too. I got some in for the next time she stays over. 
Good luck with it!

I've had random bouts of restless leg syndrome over the years, coupled with loud snoring and restless sleep. As part of a regular checkup with my doctor 1 year ago, I was advised to have a sleep study, so I looked into it and had one done at Bangkok Hospital. Turned out I had Sleep Apnea. Started using a CPAP machine and the restless leg syndrome went away, along with the snoring and was able to sleep soundly all night. I did some research on Sleep Apnea and found that a vitamin B1 deficiency could be the cause, so now I take a B1 supplement. My latest checkup with the doc showed that my Sleep Apnea has gone away, so I'm off the CPAP machine and sleeping normally. FWIW, YMMV.

6 minutes ago, NaamGin said:

I've had random bouts of restless leg syndrome over the years, coupled with loud snoring and restless sleep. As part of a regular checkup with my doctor 1 year ago, I was advised to have a sleep study, so I looked into it and had one done at Bangkok Hospital. Turned out I had Sleep Apnea. Started using a CPAP machine and the restless leg syndrome went away, along with the snoring and was able to sleep soundly all night. I did some research on Sleep Apnea and found that a vitamin B1 deficiency could be the cause, so now I take a B1 supplement. My latest checkup with the doc showed that my Sleep Apnea has gone away, so I'm off the CPAP machine and sleeping normally. FWIW, YMMV.

Not RLS, Hypnic Jerks.

just my experience:

all the time, after staying some days in Thailand  my legs started to hurt (especially lower legs). This year it was so intense that it seriously keep me from sleeping .  Used Magnesium but  did  not help. I came to the conclusion the reason is  my daily excessive walking.

For whatever reason, this year  I found the real (?) reason:

because of the heat I mostly sleep uncovered.  The fan all night blowing directly focused at my body, and because near my feed the  legs got  most of the air.

So I tried to test my new  hypothesis (" the fan cooling my legs too much at night"):

I covered  just my legs at night (with a sheet).

and what?

after 2 nights the pain was getting  less  and  after some days  the pain totally disappeared .

This experience was very amazing  cause for many years I did not understand the mechanism  and just sticked to my old explanation. No doctor would have given me the helping advice. Probably  would have  prescribed some useless medication.

in general: reason for our problems are many many times our normal routines, our way of daily living. And, because we never change  this behaviour, we do not understand  these relationships. I think many times, there is a connection between our problems and our way of living (thinking, behaviour , diet, what we do and what we not do !). And many times, if we have a  constant problem it is because we dont understand these  mechanisms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

To be clear, if what you have are strong leg jerks when falling asleep, this is NOT RLS.

Rather these are what is termed hypnic jerks or hypnagogic jerks.

RLS is a syndrome where there is a persistant sense of needing to move one's legs, a sort of antsy uneasy feeling in the legs.

While both can disturb falling asleep they are not the same thing and the various medications sometimes used for RLS are not AFAIK effective for hypnic jerks.

Occasional hypnic jerks are very common, most people have experienced it, though usually just 1 jerk and then able to fall asleep after.

Nightly ones severe enough to prevent falling asleep are less common.

The first spproach is to search for cause/trigger. Caffeine, stress and some medications are the usual suspects. It can also be a side effect of other sleep disorders since being fatigued or sleep deprived seems to trigger it (creating a vicious cycle).

So a sleep study to see if you have for example sleep apnea may help. If you have sleep apnea treating that will improve the quality of such sleep as you do get and that in turn may decrease the frequency of the jerks.

AFAIK there are no medications currently used to treat this, unlike RLS.

Suggest you research whether any of your medications might be the culprit and also get a sleep study to see if you have sleep apnea.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I rechecked my files file from way back and I admit my earlier post was incorrect; RLS is not what I suffered (mildly) but LJ/S, leg jump/start. Since I am rarely on any medication that was immediately ruled out. However, most nights I sleep well so a minor problem for me. I hope your post helps the OP as he seems to have what is leading up to a serious problem.

Giddyup

I believe has to do with Nerves most likely your starting at your feet...The bodys central nervous system,( body Electrical Wiring )

( Nerve fat )  that also causes Tinnitus...Have to paint whole picture, underlying cause,,,Do you drink excessively..Need B-12 for nerves, do you have back problems??? Can also be muscle spasms..Exercise and water certainly go a long way....Dehydration will certainly cause cramps and similar physical issues....If your a heavy drinker then you most certainly DEHYDRATED...

Water 2.jpg

Water .....Friendly Reminder.jpg

Edited by yrag