Help! Ripped Off

peibol77

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Sadly Thailand is renowned for ripping off people even I have gone through the experience and it’s not very nice when someone comes up with the sarcastic answer “ A Fool and His Money “ I can only suggest that you take your complaint and proof of your payment to these people to the Tourist police they maybe able to recover your funds. I hope that things work out for you .

do you honestly think that Thailand is the only place renowned for ripping off people ??   fraud has been around since long long ago.  Obviously many people from many lands do not quite agree with this guy :    Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. Sophocles

47 minutes ago, snowgard said:

62.png

Doesn't look like this guy wants to hear this :    sometimes "the better part of valor is discresion"

Certainly a few heroes on Walking St.  have found this out  .

• Confused 1

On 9/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, peibol77 said:

Thanks a bunch, jackdd. That seems a highly rational plan to follow. Thanks again!

Do you actually know any police? Do you know any Thais who are friendly with you that could help you in speaking with this garage? Lastly, there is, of course, the local police or tourist police accompanied by reporting it to the newspapers in the public interest. Crooks HATE publicity and their profile highlighted.

I would go to the office first, ( however, it appears they are just giving you the runaround anyway! ), so maybe I would take a low-level policeman with me, just to point out if it doesn't get resolved you are taking police action. It may spur them to refund. The policeman will cost you a thousand baht for the trouble.

I am trying to save you throwing good money after bad. A lawyer will certainly cost you a lump of money. In many court cases, victims like you win in court but never see the money come back.

I once rented a house from a Foreigner in Pattaya years ago and it transpired after I had moved in, that this guy was notorious for ' nitpicking, finding faults that weren't there '  not refunding deposits when you checked out, and my deposit, way back then, was about 90,000 baht as in two months rent deposit. We actually spoke to one or two customers that were checking out whilst we were tenants and they told us how they were cheated.

I did what I have mentioned to you regards the policeman. The copper never said anything just sat there in his uniform, smiling and talking to my other half. His presence was enough to unnerve them,  I got all my deposit money back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2018 at 7:20 AM, peibol77 said:

By the way, I have been in Thailand more than 20 times. And spend a lot of time here. I was just 2 months back in Spain and thought why not get me a treat for when I come back.

So why not just wait?  Who does that?  It's so so stupid that it's barely believable.

Go to the police, obviously, sitting writing about it on a forum won't get you anywhere.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I would go to the office first, ( however, it appears they are just giving you the runaround anyway! ), so maybe I would take a low-level policeman with me, just to point out if it doesn't get resolved you are taking police action. It may spur them to refund. The policeman will cost you a thousand baht for the trouble.

Do this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rumak said:

Maybe he can just mail the money to them ?

What are you on about ?!

What I advised is the most prudent thing to do .. 

He is being ripped / cheated and the law enforcers are there to protect him period .. 

..  and don't go foaming at the mouth about "corruption" .. there are good and bad cops everywhere in the world but there are many more good ones than bad ..  .. And come to think of it , cops , for most part , are generally kind and helpful , everywhere in the world !! 

On 9/24/2018 at 7:47 AM, Happy Grumpy said:

1) Don't send money for them to do something when you're not here.

2) Don't expect them to do anything unless you're observing.

I imagine he actually wanted something helpful from the forum. Remember, if you have nothing constructive to say, best to say nothing 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andrewnorth64 said:

This link will give you another angle on this. 

https://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/civil-case-thailand.php

Nobody would go to a lawyer for 65,000 baht, but a higher figure may be a civil action would be an option, though a tough one.

Civil actions are lawsuits where a party sues another for the enforcement or protection of a right, or the prevention or redress of a wrong.
Civil cases generally cover property and business disputes, personal domestic controversies, divorces, torts, and such other types where a party's rights are breached.  You will need the Police to identify the Perps. So I suppose it has to be Police first in any case, If nothing is resolved, then civil action.

I agree with this, and 65,000 baht is probably not enough to make it worth your whole to retain a lawyer and go through all of the hassle of legal action, court appearances etc.

What usually happens in situations like this is that you go to the police and lodge a criminal complaint.  They would look at the evidence - of which there seems to be plenty in this case - and once they accept it they are duty-bound to investigate it.  Given that the money was deposited in to a bank account in Thailand, this is not hard for the police to investigate.  They would contact the account holder and ask their side of the story.  It is at this point that the complainant will usually be asked by police if the money can be recovered does the complainant wish to purse it further.  The police may (or may not) choose to prosecute.  Often if the money is returned, that is the end of the story.  Effectively, the cops are getting your money back for you.  This is why you should go to the police.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pepper9187 said:

Maybe because he was insulted by half of the posters here !?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I cringe when I read some of the antagonism and name-calling that takes place of TV, adding insult to injury.

One has to have a pretty thick skin to survive on these forums. 

Often it's the same cruel folks again and again, I see the names come up.

If the mods here were to ban a dozen key people it would significantly raise the iq of the gene pool here...

Edited by YogaVeg
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I cringe when I read some of the antagonism and name-calling that takes place of TV, adding insult to injury.

One has to have a pretty thick skin to survive on these forums. 

So, do you think the OP is for real ? I could be wrong of course, but it has all the marks of a troll post.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

So, do you think the OP is for real ? I could be wrong of course, but it has all the marks of a troll post.

I was taking it at face value, I just don't understand what joy folks get out of posting fake threads, but yeah it surely happens. 

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Even if it is fake tho, there have been some mean-spirited things said

Edited by YogaVeg

2 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I was taking it at face value, I just don't understand what joy folks get out of posting fake threads, but yeah it surely happens. 

I never heard of somebody buying a bike on internet and sending the money in advance, have you ?

3 minutes ago, pikao said:

What is a troll post?? seriously asking

You can find plenty of descriptions on google , i don't even know if it's correct to call it a troll post.

Still it was amusing to see so many people taking this post seriously, and being outraged for the insulting replies.

If the story is true, the guy deserves even more insults.

19 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I never heard of somebody buying a bike on internet and sending the money in advance, have you ?

Actually, yes. It is a huge problem on Craigslist in California. Especially elderly folks sending money for all manner of scams.

I don't claim to understand why. Some folks are incredibly trusting I suppose, probably because they wouldn't dream of burning someone themselves.

1 minute ago, YogaVeg said:

Actually, yes. It is a huge problem on Craigslist in California. Especially elderly folks sending money for all manner of scams.

I don't claim to understand why. Some folks are incredibly trusting I suppose, probably because they wouldn't dream of burning someone themselves.

I see. I noticed that in the last few years, the competition for survival has reached new levels.

You can't trust anyone these days, and it will get worse.

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Oh, come on, have you got any sense of humour ?

Not so much for insults, I suppose. When I can't sleep I even have less. And its 4am where I'm sitting ????

Cheers ????

Edited by YogaVeg