How does living in two cities affect 90 day reporting etc

I have tried to find out online, without success, so here goes

I am currently living in Chiang Mai on a long term rental contract, so the owner has registered me with TM30 etc, and I do my 90 day report showing the CM address.

I want to keep the property in CM, but also take out another long term contract in a property in Chiang Rai.

So I will have a yearly rental contract in each city.

Anyone know how this affects my reporting etc?

Obviously I want to do all my 90 day reports and Retirement Visa extension in Chiang Rai (for obvious reasons if you have ever been to CM immigration) (yes, I know its now moved, but early days)

Anybody got any info on this at all?

I want to keep both rental contracts as I want to split my month equally between the two cities.

thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Obviously I want to do all my 90 day reports and Retirement Visa extension in Chiang Rai

You will need to formally change your address to Chiang Rai to do your 90 day reports and your next extension of stay application there.

You would need to submit a TM28 change of address form to Chiang Rai immigration. The will also want a TM30 form to be submitted.

Just now, allane said:

Officially speaking, you live in one place. Immigration doesn't do bed checks to see where you are actually sleeping.

of course, i understand that.  But the owner of the property is legally obligated to tell immigration who is living in their property.  and as mentioned.  I have two.  so both owners will have registered me.  this is the problem I am trying to solve.  

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to formally change your address to Chiang Rai to do your 90 day reports and your next extension of stay application there.

You would need to submit a TM28 change of address form to Chiang Rai immigration. The will also want a TM30 form to be submitted.

Yes, I understand that.  But it does not solve the problem that I will be registered at two addresses in different cities at the same time.

I have lived in many properties here in Thailand, never done a TM28 in my life, as long as the owner does the TM30 and gives me a copy, that has always been enough.  never been questioned at immigration ever for not doing a TM28.  

But thanks for your time in replying

5 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

But it does not solve the problem that I will be registered at two addresses in different cities at the same time.

No you won't. You can only registered at one place at one time. If you keep moving between provinces the registered place will change each time if its reported. When its time for you to go to IO you need to be upto date with the location. I have experienced this living in two provinces as well.

Edited by MJKT2014
  • Like 1

I have been doing something similar. I live during the weekdays at my home in one province and on the weekends in my home in another neighboring province. Both are rentals. 

I would say because you are already registered at CM and will continue to keep the residence and be staying there to not change anything. When you get your rental in CR just be sure you or the landlord doesn't register the address. 

Just use your one address that is already registered and save yourself the trouble. It would be completely unreasonable to follow the Thai law in this case and have to do an address report every single time you came to stay at one of these locations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Yes, I understand that.  But it does not solve the problem that I will be registered at two addresses in different cities at the same time.

I have lived in many properties here in Thailand, never done a TM28 in my life, as long as the owner does the TM30 and gives me a copy, that has always been enough.  never been questioned at immigration ever for not doing a TM28.  

The registration previously done in Chiang Mai will be irrelevant as far as Chiang Rai immigration will be concerned after you do a TM30 form there. You will never need to do another TM30 report in Chiang Mai since you will not be doing anything at immigration there.

I was just stating the standard procedure for changing your address. They may not want the TM28 form and the TM30 report will be enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I agree, but still TECHNICALLY illegal not to do so. Because they want to know when you are.  

Believe me, I know it's illegal and I am willing to pay the fine for not registering my address if caught. But it is much better than me going to register my address at immigration twice a week, every week. No way I am doing that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

I have been doing something similar. I live during the weekdays at my home in one province and on the weekends in my home in another neighboring province. Both are rentals. 

I would say because you are already registered at CM and will continue to keep the residence and be staying there to not change anything. When you get your rental in CR just be sure you or the landlord doesn't register the address. 

Just use your one address that is already registered and save yourself the trouble. It would be completely unreasonable to follow the Thai law in this case and have to do an address report every single time you came to stay at one of these locations.

makes perfect sense.  thanks. but i will register the CR address probably because going to immigration in CM is not a pleasant experience (albeit only once a year) and I certainly do not give my money to parasite, queue jumping, agents.  ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1