Britain and EU must reach Brexit breakthrough in coming weeks - Germany's BDI

webfact

2018-09-25T080218Z_1_LYNXNPEE8O0H2_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Anti-Brexit demonstrators wave EU and Union flags opposite the Houses of Parliament, in London, Britain, June 19, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

BERLIN (Reuters) - There must be a breakthrough on getting a Brexit deal in the coming weeks to ensure a transition period that would give firms legal certainty until the end of 2020, Germany's BDI industry association said on Tuesday.

"Even this amount of time will hardly suffice to negotiate a free trade agreement as the United Kingdom envisages," BDI President Dieter Kempf said.

(Reporting by Riham Alkousaa; Editing by Michelle Martin)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-09-25

3 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Who was threatening whom and how does it related to “the last hundred years”?

I guess you must be German and could not quite grasp the meaning and intent of my text. ????

Edited by Esso49

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

I guess you must be German and could not quite grasp the meaning and intent of my text. ????

Not sure how you want to know my nationality or how that would be relevant here. 

1 hour ago, leither69 said:

EU getting desperate in my opinion, tried hardball to prevent the split, they are panicking as other countries will follow.  

Interesting interpretation of the situation. Any facts you’re building your opinion upon, or just wet dreams?

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Who was threatening whom and how does it related to “the last hundred years”?

You need to read your history since 2018 years ago and how Germany and it's forerunners tried so hard to rule the whole of Europe and more.  The oft quoted phrase of "the leopard seldom changes it's spots" is worth bearing in mind.  This time, Germany changed  tactics from military force to economical supresion and would appear to be hood-winking all the Europeans to follow their lead,  This is not unusaul if you look at the past performance of France. Italy, Spain et al, except for the non-Europeans, called the Brits who do not wish to be squashed under their drive to rule Europe and possibly more. Are you a European I wonder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, terryw said:

The corruption and lack of democratic accountability are examples of why 17.4 million Brits voted to leave the EU.

No, totally BS. May did hide the consequences and lied about all problems so far. In this way you might compare UK with Thailand. If UK people would know what to come they would chase her away 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Esso49 said:

"There must be a Brexit deal in the coming weeks".

As this is coming from a German organisation I would expect to read soon ;  or else we will invade Poland again.   Always threatening and nothing learned from the last hundred years. Soon coming up to the anniversary of their unconditional surrender of WW1 and still trying to control what Europe does.

It's only a couple of years I hope that this generation with those awful hateful comments will have passed away!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's only a couple of years I hope that this generation with those awful hateful comments will have passed away!!!

And I hope you are young enough, once you can get out of your stroller, to  never ever  have to endure any of what those of us, and our Fathers had to endure last century in order that you children now have the freedom to be able to comment on issues of which you have minimal historic understanding.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

If you read all the thread you will see the connection with the topic subject matter. So stop trying to go off topic deliberately yourself. To clarify,  the topic is about a German orgnaisational recommendation and comments that were subsequently associated to it, which  very clearly typified how other historic German organiisations  forced there own beliefs on others. Brexit is no different as they, Germany, are still trying to force the issue. If that is all above you then when you are older and experienced please feel free to comment more wisely. In the meantime the facts of last century, the motives of Germany this century attempting to goosestep all over the EU are there for all to see, except those in total denial of course.

Out of curiosity what do you object to in the OP article? For me the BDI comments represent a reasonable & sensible POV.

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, Esso49 said:

And I hope you are young enough, once you can get out of your stroller, to  never ever  have to endure any of what those of us, and our Fathers had to endure last century in order that you children now have the freedom to be able to comment on issues of which you have minimal historic understanding.

This is typical of some little englanders who, jealous of Germany's success, cannot resist going back to the war.

Personally I can resist, but with an exception here, going back to the time that my countrymen & women had to suffer under the British Empire.

As far as the UK government's disastrous effort to think that the 'inferior' EU will bow to it's 'superior' non-negotiable demands, it is a failure. It's looking increasingly likely that it's going to be a Brexit without any agreement, the worst of all outcomes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

If neither 'side' had bothered to make start organising for a genuine brexit after the referendum- then it's very clear that they had been relying on a way to circumvent brexit...

Well, it's not going to be much of a problem for the EU. It has virtually all the agencies needed to administer a single market. It's the UK that has a very hard road ahead of it. I haven't been able to find out what the cost is going to be for the UK to reestablish its own customs service and all the other agencies it no longer has. Can't be cheap and should be subtracted from whatever savings are realized by not being an EU member.

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2018 at 3:22 PM, webfact said:

People keep talking about the "EU" as if it's some egalitarian brotherhood of nations. It isn't - it's German industry subsidising agriculture (originally inefficient French agriculture of course). It still is - and now the BDI have spoken. Without the BDI there is no EU.

When did we hear "Greek/Portuguese (add you own from the 27) xyz producers demand blah blah blah from the UK"?

And by the way, I'm not knocking Germany at all (or Greece or Portugal): I admire German investment in core skills; I admire Germany's ability over the last 30 years to get all sections of society on board.

I'm glad the BDI have spoken - as I commented a few weeks ago more than once - the combination of potential German export losses (to the UK) plus "divorce payments" is going to breathe some reality into the late stages of negotiation.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

People keep talking about the "EU" as if it's some egalitarian brotherhood of nations. It isn't - it's German industry subsidising agriculture (originally inefficient French agriculture of course). It still is - and now the BDI have spoken. Without the BDI there is no EU.

When did we hear "Greek/Portuguese (add you own from the 27) xyz producers demand blah blah blah from the UK"?

And by the way, I'm not knocking Germany at all (or Greece or Portugal): I admire German investment in core skills; I admire Germany's ability over the last 30 years to get all sections of society on board.

I'm glad the BDI have spoken - as I commented a few weeks ago more than once - the combination of potential German export losses (to the UK) plus "divorce payments" is going to breathe some reality into the late stages of negotiation.

Germany's BDI views are very significant, as the two powers at play are the two dominant neighbours of Germany & France et al.

I also agree reference the remaining MS industries, manufacturing and business contributions however many remain rather disappointly mute.

Lobbying & pressure groups from the EU's broader spectrum are all equally effected in some form. I certainly hope Brussels listens.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

Germany's BDI views are very significant, as the two powers at play are the two dominant neighbours of Germany & France et al.

I also agree reference the remaining MS industries, manufacturing and business contributions however many remain rather disappointly mute.

Lobbying & pressure groups from the EU's broader spectrum are all equally effected in some form. I certainly hope Brussels listens.

They always listen. The BDI run the place.

They always listen. The BDI run the place.
Hence my 'dominance' term ;-)

I noticed on Twitter earlier (VIA an MEP) that the EU plan on offering a Canada super + deal to May seeing as Chequers has been rejected by the EU.

Another point, Brussels must be getting really itchy & worried too, which might explain why it's meeting Jeremy Corbyn again, especially after Labours recent speech with Starmer leadership bid in guise of his Brexit speech.

The Labour Conference has been an eye opener. The worshippers have developed automatic clapping at the end of almost every sentence and standing up on cue.

Why does Labour regard wealth creation as anti-social and when will they stop behaving like a charity? Momentum are claiming the rich are responsible for benefits cuts, low wages, lack of housing etc. Nothing to do with government apparently.

When will they become a party with detailed plans for the UK rather than sitting on the fence pontificating in theatrical jargon?
Lets face it Jeremy Corbyn is the window dressing for Momentum.

I am worried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

Hence my 'dominance' term ????

I noticed on Twitter earlier (VIA an MEP) that the EU plan on offering a Canada super + deal to May seeing as Chequers has been rejected by the EU.

Another point, Brussels must be getting really itchy & worried too, which might explain why it's meeting Jeremy Corbyn again, especially after Labours recent speech with Starmer leadership bid in guise of his Brexit speech.

Ooh, Jeremy UTurn...

Ooh, Jeremy UTurn...

• Like 1