Why stay if you don't like it?

Catkiwi

With out fail, every time I log in to Thai Visa forum there are Farang posters dead set on running down the Thai way of life, the Thai govenrment and education institutions and anything else that they can think of. Why stay if you don't like it hear. One such poster even said that he finds it "just bearable" if he doesn't interact with the locals.....

For OP, pls don't misquote me...

"Why stay - you can open another thread for discussion if you wish but i find if i interact as little as possible with the locals then it's bearable, i like the weather and food, is that ok?"

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree...  but not limited to ThaiVisa forum... Without fail, the Thai Forums my Wife reads (such as Pantip) are full Thai's are complaining of exactly the same things we Westerners do.

You see, we're human... we make observations and find a suitable forum in which to discuss them.

And, if you are to evaluate with a truly balanced mind the issues you list are worthy of criticism, there are a great many aspects of Thailand and its people which deserve criticism, equally so, there are many aspects of our own countries and people deserving of criticism. 

In 'Cherry picking' our topics its easy to criticise and no single thread or forum could ever show true balance... but, if you only cherry pick the 'positive stuff' there are many topics on many forums including ThaiVisa which are highly positive... but, they are also a little more boring !!!...

A thread biyatching about the Thai Roads or corrupt policing and giving examples is more interesting than reading how wonderful someones wife is or how great their life is here - thats as much a criticism of ourselves as an audience as it is of a forum which provides a medium for such voices. 

Thanks for the balanced and insightful comments. Refreshing to say the least. However, there are some that just spout negativity and indeed hateful comments that just makes me question what on earth they are still doing here...love the "biyatching" phrase by the way ????

15 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

"Why stay - you can open another thread for discussion if you wish but i find if i interact as little as possible with the locals then it's bearable, i like the weather and food, is that ok?"

•  

Sorry, I did trim your quote down a bit but never mentioned your name so, it wasn't actually a quote was it?. Thanks for displaying your real feelings.

At some level isn’t the point of Thai Visa forum to provide information to those that have less experience of Thailand, so a warts and all commentary is more useful than anodyne nonsense from people who can’t bear to hear any criticism of Thailand? 

I like Thailand and will continue to travel there but I’m not blind to the issues and risks, and that’s what keeps me out of trouble. If you can separate the wheat from the chaff then Thai Visa can be very informative, about positives and negatives. So we can enjoy the positives and give the negatives a body swerve.

• Like 2

why start this topic again?. it just ends up with pages & pages of flaming and repeating/quoting posts from other threads as I see you've already done. why not start a thread about why you love Thailand if you're totally positive and leave it at that?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandrabbit said:

why start this topic again?. it just ends up with pages & pages of flaming and repeating/quoting posts from other threads as I see you've already done. why not start a thread about why you love Thailand if you're totally positive and leave it at that?.

And you think that will end up any different?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

At some level isn’t the point of Thai Visa forum to provide information to those that have less experience of Thailand, so a warts and all commentary is more useful than anodyne nonsense from people who can’t bear to hear any criticism of Thailand? 

I like Thailand and will continue to travel there but I’m not blind to the issues and risks, and that’s what keeps me out of trouble. If you can separate the wheat from the chaff then Thai Visa can be very informative, about positives and negatives. So we can enjoy the positives and give the negatives a body swerve.

Sure and couldn't agree more but there are many whom go over the top. I can certainly bear criticism of Thailand and even my native country New Zealand for that matter. It just gets so extreme here that I have to ask the question. I also understand about forums and commentary and listening to everyone's points of view however, there are still some very nasty commentaries posted by people living here. Why would anyone stay if they hate it so much?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If that is a reference to comments in the other thread .

People are just giving their honest opinions , if he just wants sympathy and a shoulder to cry on, hes better off phoning his Mum

No it was not a reference to "the other thread" it is a reference to many. Yes sure, there are honest opinions but my question is self explanatory. Why stay when they complain about everything?

6 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

No it was not a reference to "the other thread" it is a reference to many. Yes sure, there are honest opinions but my question is self explanatory. Why stay when they complain about everything?

The problem you have, and you are experiencing it in here and the other thread running at the moment re wife’s asking about money, is that some people just want an argument because they are bored out of their brains. 

Can you honestly believe they would come out with some of this stuff face to face to a stranger in the street? But here they can hide behind their persona of an anonymous forum where clearly many have mental, alcohol or other issues. 

So when you ask why stay, many are not even there, never been there or are so bitter about past experiences they just want to rubbish anyone’s enjoyment, hence my previous comment re mental issues. 

Its  a perfectly decent question to ask, but you have no chance of the thread lasting or getting a decent insight because the usual suspects will end up getting it closed through spite, jealousy, or just because they go nothing better to do. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

I suspect that some TVF members are staying in Thailand for one or more of the reasons that you have for staying in Thailand.

But 99% of them sacrifice themselves and stay (enduring all the many miseries in Thailand) for the sole purpose of indulging their fanatical, monomaniacal, all consuming enthusiasm for temples.

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

I suspect that some TVF members are staying in Thailand for one or more of the reasons that you have for staying in Thailand.

But 99% of them stay (and endure all the many miseries in Thailand) for the sole purpose of indulging their fanatical, monomaniacal, all consuming enthusiasm for temples.

Ok thanks, got it now. Why couldn't I see that before?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The problem you have, and you are experiencing it in here and the other thread running at the moment re wife’s asking about money, is that some people just want an argument because they are bored out of their brains. 

Can you honestly believe they would come out with some of this stuff face to face to a stranger in the street? But here they can hide behind their persona of an anonymous forum where clearly many have mental, alcohol or other issues. 

So when you ask why stay, many are not even there, never been there or are so bitter about past experiences they just want to rubbish anyone’s enjoyment, hence my previous comment re mental issues. 

Its  a perfectly decent question to ask, but you have no chance of the thread lasting or getting a decent insight because the usual suspects will end up getting it closed through spite, jealousy, or just because they go nothing better to do. 

Yeah you are right. Well expressed, thanks.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Catkiwi said:
2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

•  

Sorry, I did trim your quote down a bit but never mentioned your name so, it wasn't actually a quote was it?. Thanks for displaying your real feelings.

I don't believe there's anything unusual about JaiLai's attitude that suggests he should leave. The only interaction I have with locals is shop or restaurant staff when I'm out shopping or at the mall... and a cordial relationship with my Thai neighbour. Not too close... just friendly at a distance. The Thai people prefer it this way anyway. If I try to say too much they don't have a clue what I'm on about anyway. Just basic courtesy is enough. If you're too nice, they start trying to take advantage of you... possibly asking for loans... which is a very good way to ruin a friendship. This works in areas where there is a large population of expats and tourists, and a reason why I like these areas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1