Govt ‘has not sold film rights for Tham Luang cave rescue’

webfact

Govt ‘has not sold film rights for Tham Luang cave rescue’

By NATTHAWAT LAPING, 
KORNRAWEE PANYASUPPAKUN 
THE NATION 

4ad061d9f28d2c1eaee694b9c6e326e4.jpeg

The 12 Mu Pa footballers and their coach.

THE GOVERNMENT has not granted intellectual rights of the rescue of the Mu Pa (Wild Boar) football team and their coach to any filmmakers despite several reports saying that Universal Pictures has secured deals with the Australian divers and the football team, Lt-General Weerachon Sukondhapati-pak said yesterday.

Weerachon is spokesperson of the committee tasked with handling intellectual rights for the epic Tham Luang cave rescue. 

The panel, set up in July, is comprised of officials from the culture, tourism, foreign and human development ministries and also includes reputable names from the Thai film industry. 

Apart from handling the rights of the much-heralded rescue in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district, the panel is also tasked with screening information, and safeguarding the children’s privacy and the country’s image. It will also oversee the production of the film should the rights be sold. 

Earlier, Deadline news media reported that Hollywood’s Universal Pictures had sealed a deal with Australian cave divers Dr Richard Harris and Craig Challen as well as coach Ekkaphol Chantawong and the Wild Boar football team.

Deadline news reported that the film would be produced by Dana Brunetti and Micheal De Luca, who have big hits like the “Fifty Shades of Grey” series, “Captain Phillips” and “The Social Network” under their belts. 

However, the panel has insisted that it did not give any studio the rights to produce a film on the children’s ordeal, and quoted the coach as saying that he too has not accepted any such deals. 

“But we are not sure if Universal Pictures bought the rights from the Australian divers,” Weerachon said. 

The parents of one of the Wild Boar team members confirmed that nobody had contacted them to sign a film deal, adding that they entrusted the committee to take care of their rights. 

Somsak Tanakham, the Mae Sai district chief, also said Universal Pictures had not contacted him or anybody in his office. 

Meanwhile, Bundit Thongdee, president of Thai Film Directors Association, said under the law, Universal Pictures does not have to acquire the rights if the names are changed in the film. 

“The studio will only have to acquire rights and permission if it wants to use their real names in the film,” he said. Bundit added that the studio did not have to comply with any Thai regulations if it shoots the film outside the Kingdom. 

However, Bundit was positive that a film on the cave rescue would be an inspiring one about solidarity, love and peace, “like how powerful we were when the world was united as one”, he said.

The cave rescue saga, which began on June 23, gripped people across the world as efforts to locate the Wild Boar team and their coach kept getting hampered by rising water levels and strong currents. 

The Thai Navy Seals, who were joined by many international professional divers, including Australians Challen and Harris, coordinated the complicated operation to find and extract the football team. 

One former Navy Seal, Lt-Commander Samarn Gunan even lost his life in the operation. The Wild Boar team and the coach were safely extracted by July 10. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355205

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-26

I dont like the name Junta in this case. ""Bunglers" seems nicer. Bunch of Dads Army codgers who rightly imo took control from an Elected Thief who cleverly bought the Vote. Be nicer if they just handed Thailand back to Honda /Toyota to run for us. Or even a good Mom n Pop Shop. folks who live in the real Thailand.

dads Ar

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

A movie of How Prayuth saved the kids single handedly while foreigners watched, could be a good comedy.

Funnily enough, while there will be masses of Thai nationalism (that goes without saying), I think  Prayut will use this film to show how internationally minded he and his 'government' are - how they co-operate with the international community and are held in high regard by that community. I think he will emphasis the notion of 'all the world loves Thailand' and Thailand loves the world. One giant love-fest - headed up and sagely smiled down upon by someone I will not mention ... 

It will all be pap and lies, of course. But what do  we expect from such a man and such a junta? This film venture is all part of the junta's re-packaging of itself as 'internationalist' and 'respectable' and wholly legitimate.

Hand me the sick bucket!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Earlier, Deadline news media reported that Hollywood’s Universal Pictures had sealed a deal with Australian cave divers Dr Richard Harris and Craig Challen as well as coach Ekkaphol Chantawong and the Wild Boar football team.

I don't know about sealing a deal, when the Thai authorities are still saying intellectual property issues haven't even been addressed, let alone agreed upon.

But there's even more intrigue than Universal clashing with Thai officialdom. I understand, from Matt Downey, an outdoor pursuits acquaintance and writer of the caving conspiracy book that I recommended last month, that a much more attractive movie project than a straightforward reenactment of the Wild Boars disappearance is being looked at by an even more legendary studio. Let's face it, you can't beat a good old conspiracy . . . Water Cave sounds good don't you think?

So, watch this space, as they say.

• Like 1

The cave rescue was a bigger propaganda coup than the junta could have ever dreamed of, this story, not particularly interesting to many people including many Thais, will never be allowed go away. Perhaps the production team who made Fifty Shades of Grey, itself one of the most boring, deluded and un-sexy movies ever released, could call the cave drama [which I wouldn't dream of going to see] Fifty Shades of Exploitation and Corruption.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

The cave rescue was a bigger propaganda coup than the junta could have ever dreamed of, this story, not particularly interesting to many people including many Thais, will never be allowed go away. Perhaps the production team who made Fifty Shades of Grey, itself one of the most boring, deluded and un-sexy movies ever released, could call the cave drama [which I wouldn't dream of going to see] Fifty Shades of Exploitation and Corruption.

Not yet lunchtime and this gets my post of the day . . . a classic of saying much with little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Certainly will be rubbish if the Junta has anything to do with a film based on this rescue.  For a 2 hour film, the first and last 30 minutes will be taken up with Buddhist Monks chanting, there will be 55 minutes of how the PM organsied and directed the rescue ,  three minutes on how  he handpicked the Thai rescue teams and personally instructed them on cave rescue, 1 minutes showing the International rescue persons, 30 seconds on how the PM personally advised Elon Musk why is capsule wouldn't work, 20 seconds on how the PM bestowed Thai citizenship on some of the boys and finally only 10 seconds for the ex Naval Seal who lost his live trying to help those boys.

Now where is the popcorn in those special buckets with "I Love Prayut" on the side ?

Didn't know whether to click like or laugh, decided on the laugh--a spot on analysis of the whole thing as well as being funny and clever. 

• Like 2