Why are Thai people so against thinking?

afsheen

12 hours ago, balo said:

Yes the flock mentality is an Asian thing I believe.

I think you mean "herd mentality."  The best studies on the phenomenon were done at the University of Leeds.   Presumably the study was done there because they had so many people who were herd mentality people.  https://psychcentral.com/news/2008/02/15/herd-mentality-explained/1922.html

Or you could assume some people are bigots and see nothing good or smart in a particular race or nationality like your comment about herd mentality being an Asian thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think you mean "herd mentality."  The best studies on the phenomenon were done at the University of Leeds.   Presumably the study was done there because they had so many people who were herd mentality people.  https://psychcentral.com/news/2008/02/15/herd-mentality-explained/1922.html

Or you could assume some people are bigots and see nothing good or smart in a particular race or nationality like your comment about herd mentality being an Asian thing. 

Whether they do in fact have this kind of mentality, pointing it out doesn't make someone a bigot anymore than someone pointing out that cheeseburgers have cheese on them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Bit of a Max Weber School of Eurocentric Superiority. 

Most common delusions among the usual crowd.

24 minutes ago, pr9spk said:

Whether they do in fact have this kind of mentality, pointing it out doesn't make someone a bigot anymore than someone pointing out that cheeseburgers have cheese on them.

Who.  The people of Leeds?  If you read the study we can only assume it applies to the students at the University of Leeds.  Do you really think that's fair?

I think we can all agree that "herd mentality" is a truly universal and innate human tendency, even in the most "individualistic" countries, such as the US.

The difference is that the citizens of countries such as the US live under the delusion that they're somehow free-thinking and independent when they're really just imitating others in their social group.

Eastern countries are traditionally high-context countries, so there is no such delusion involved.

Edited by jackspade

On 10/8/2018 at 3:41 AM, balo said:

Not a flock, but rather a school of fish...they move and change directions all at once!

Which is why it is very dangerous to bet the (tourism) farm on Chinese visitors.

If, for whatever reason some of them decide to move to other shores, or not move at all, Thailand will not lose some Chinese tourists, but all of them...at once!

And it will happen...just wait...

Edited by Brunolem

On 10/5/2018 at 9:42 AM, marcusarelus said:

Sandholm, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University, along with doctorate student Noam Brown, developed AI software capable of doing just that. The program, called Libratus, successfully defeated four professional poker players in a 20-day competition that ended on Jan. 30. After playing 120,000 hands of heads-up, no-limit Texas Hold’em, Libratus was ahead of its human challengers by more than $1.7 million in chips.

http://time.com/4656011/artificial-intelligence-ai-poker-tournament-libratus-cmu/

While I was serving my sentence, I had some time on my hands to go search for poker, about which I knew little.

Turns out that Texas hold'em poker is not at all what I had in mind when referring to artificial intelligence.

Texas hold'em is James Bond kind of poker, while I was thinking about the more traditional cowboy kind of poker, with four guys sitting around a table, each holding his five cards close to the chest.

In Texas hold'em, there are up to five cards face up on the table for everyone to see.

Thus, a computer has something to...well...compute with, being able to enter in complex probability calculations, whereas in traditional poker, there is absolutely nothing to feed to a computer...only experience and (real) intelligence matter.

When artificial intelligence will be able to compete in such a game, then it will be much closer to human intelligence.

• Like 1

I was actually doing long Country driving trips recently in Australia,driving  into the Country areas and towns, I was surprised to see Thai massage shops in Australian country towns some with populations of 300 people !!!

How the hell do they make any money ???

surely they do a business plan before opening?

Edited by georgegeorgia

Thinking,  I'll assume the type that resembles reasoning, cognition, critical thought. It's a fascinating topic I think about it a lot .

I reason that if my arm hurts and I rub it,  it will feel better, so I do it.  This comes about with my emotion, instinct and experience. A Thai person will do the same cognitive task in this case because of the instant gratification.

but the problem I think lies with future thought. The ability to truly see the benefit ahead. Asian stereotype minds lack this I believe. And it's interesting to note in the Thai language, time is not well represented in grammar as it is in the English language which includes very specific tense.

Also, Thai time as being on time is an anomoly.

So, if time travel were made possible, the stereotype of not thinking may disappear.

35 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Thinking,  I'll assume the type that resembles reasoning, cognition, critical thought. It's a fascinating topic I think about it a lot .

I reason that if my arm hurts and I rub it,  it will feel better, so I do it.  This comes about with my emotion, instinct and experience. A Thai person will do the same cognitive task in this case because of the instant gratification.

but the problem I think lies with future thought. The ability to truly see the benefit ahead. Asian stereotype minds lack this I believe. And it's interesting to note in the Thai language, time is not well represented in grammar as it is in the English language which includes very specific tense.

Also, Thai time as being on time is an anomoly.

So, if time travel were made possible, the stereotype of not thinking may disappear.A

Asian stereotypes are described as team players who are empathetic, thoughtful, steady and measured as opposed to bold, brash types.  Japanese car production and design will demonstrate these traits.

I get accused of working too hard, and then I take a break and get accused of being too lazy (can't make this stuff up). It really makes you think. 

I get accused of thinking too much. When I stop thinking I then get accused of doing atupid stuff. 

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Asian stereotypes are described as team players who are empathetic, thoughtful, steady and measured as opposed to bold, brash types.  Japanese car production and design will demonstrate these traits.

I chatted to my Uncle today who worked for Toyota 40 years. The topic of Asia and Japan came up and we couldn't understand how Japanese got involved in a war in the first place. Steady and measured in the Japanese engineering industry, I agree. Empathetic, not sure. Thoughtful, yes and no. Haha. Stereotypes are so stereotypical.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:36 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO pretty arrogant to accuse an entire race of some deficiency of intellect.

If comparing cultures/ races, I know many in a western country that think sport is important, which to my mind is pretty ignorant, but I wouldn't accuse the entire country of being dumb because of it.

Then, why are you a trump supporter?

On 10/8/2018 at 2:11 AM, balo said:

Really?

Just observe how the "likes" are done on TVF - hardly an Asian "thing"!

Try to  be more unbiased and neutral...

• Thanks 1