Ford still in the wars as pick-up owners complaining online about their vehicles

webfact

Ford still in the wars as pick-up owners complaining online about their vehicles

9pm_VID.jpg

Sanook reported that two posts on Facebook featured people who had bought Ford Ranger Raptor pick-ups that had developed mechanical difficulties soon after driving away from the showroom. 

In the first case the owner said that he was driving along the Bangkok to Chonburi motorway when the vehicle overheated. 

He was allegedly told by Ford - we'll give you a new one, just delete your post. 

In the second case the owner's pick-up had a loss of power then failed to start. Ford told him he could have a new one but he didn't like the color so he took the second option. 

He got his money back. 

Such vehicles are for sale at about one million baht, said Sanook. 

A landmark class action ruling against Ford this month ordered the company to pay hundreds of millions of baht in compensation to 308 claimants who said they had been sold faulty vehicles. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-28

My Isuzu dmax 30lt has never missed a beat in 10yrs.a few batteries and bundles of oil and filter changes but not in Isuzu.a little maintainance by myself proves to be the key to long life motoring.these two reports are probably just bad luck at buying a car built in Thailand.if I was to buy a new car here the first thing I would do is spend a couple of hours checking all the nuts and bolts were tight and tire pressure sort of things.dont know if they do pre delivery inspection out here and if they did wouldn't trust it anyway.

• Like 2

My 17 year old Ford Ranger 4 x 4, 2.5 turbo diesel keeps rattling away with 379,xxx km on the clock. I radiator died, the truck has died a couple of times, there has been the odd clutch seal problem, it is bent and dented in a couple of places, but it still keeps plodding along. I still get between 12 and 13 km/lt.

Would I buy another Ford Ranger? Yes but it would be the 2.2L XLT double cab Hi Rider with auto gearbox at 879,000 baht.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's about luck. I bought 3 new Toyota's 2 were great but one had a problem with the A/C we had the worst service experience from the dealer. After they supposedly replaced the AC I got the Fortuner back and couldn't shift it into gear without using the parking shift unlock button. We pointed this out to the dealer and they told us to just use the button. My wife lost it on them and finally the manager had his mechanic sort the problem. However the AC continued to leak so we took it to a dealer in Bangkok who supposedly fixed it taking 3 days. You guessed it it still leaked. So we were told about another dealer in Bangkok that had good technicians so it went there for a few more days. Sure enough nothing changed it still leaked. Finally I gave up taking my Fortuner to B-Quick to have the AC charged again, my wife told the mechanic the problem and he fixed it. It was a leak in the coupling of the AC line that goes to the heat exchanger for the rear of the cabin. It been fine since B-Quick did what 3 Toyota dealerships couldn't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Ford is a successful company and with long experience about car industries.. 

as a western company with success and best sale in every country in world ,,, 

Every innovation in car industries is start with Ford Motor Company..

so another brands are following and copying every innovation in ford ..

With respect for this brand .. 

I trust this brand forever because i try already..

in thailand and in my home i have 3 ford vehicles now from 2013 to now ,, all is perfect and no issue in all time ,, 

Edited by mehrdad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saddens me. 

I've been a Blue Oval man many years and even worked with them.

Saw the birth of the Ranger here and did time at Rayong. 

Just can't understand why they have taken the eye off the ball so much?

23% of global sales this vehicle. 

I know we all say...

In __________

But back in Oz the dealerships had to perform a pre delivery inspection. 

The buyer was charged for the pre delivery. 

If the dealer didn't pick up the faults within 72 hours of the vehicle coming off the transport, they wear the cost.

I know the Ford production facilities in many countries having worked at several, and cant believe that vehicles are let out of the factory like this..

Dealerships are another issue. 

Still haven't struck a really good one yet here.

Edited by dallen52
Typo
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Machiavelli said:

Wooow. Amazing. Somebody with a real brain. 

Henry Ford was one of the brilliant people of the time.

Friends of Edison and others.

Deming was the American who introduced the Ford production systems to Japan after the war WW2.

It's this what makes Japanese vehicles so great. 

Ford and some others may have to go back and play catch up again. 

• Thanks 1

I like the look of the newer style Ford Rangers more than the Toyo Hilux, but still, probably wouldn't buy one.  

Preference and habit goes back to being in the Middle East/GCC region, where American brand cars, at least anecdotally, weren't very popular - except the Saudis, they seemed to love their big Ford cruisers and Chevy Suburbans.    Otherwise, the general buzz was they didn't do well in the extreme summertime conditions, and their air con units couldn't keep up. 

I've been stuck on Toyota for a couple decades now, including here with a Toyo pick up and a Tuna.  Honestly though, the Tuna feels cheap and plastic, not sure I would buy another one.

Edited by 55Jay

5 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I like the look of the newer style Ford Rangers more than the Toyo Hilux, but still, probably wouldn't buy one.  

Preference and habit goes back to being in the Middle East/GCC region, where American brand cars, at least anecdotally, weren't very popular - except the Saudis, they seemed to love their big Ford cruisers and Chevy Suburbans.    Otherwise, the general buzz was they didn't do well in the extreme summertime conditions, and their air con units couldn't keep up. 

I've been stuck on Toyota for a couple decades now, including here with a Toyo pick up and a Tuna.  Honestly though, the Tuna feels cheap and plastic, not sure I would buy another one.

I worked in a GCC vehicle programme for Ford and it was a nightmare. 

30,000 vehicles annually allowed in.

Minimum services. 

Must be capable of being driven flat out. No regulation of the engine. 

UV treatment for all plastics and other areas.

We (Oz) dropped it.

GM went ahead and it cost heaps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hans Rayong said:

Do not be as stupid as me and buy a Ford.

These are some things that have happened with my 3 1/2 year old Ford Ranger 3.2
• manifold broken
• turbo broken
• lock the rear seat broken
• head gasket broken
• cam belt broken
• water pump broken
• air conditioning units broken
• water leakage at the car roof antenna (destroyed ceiling)
• holder interior rear view mirror broken
• side panel driver's seat broken

Ford charged for 9.6 liters of oil but only filled with 7.6 liters of oil.
Ford failed to adjust the engine after replacing cam belt which led to ruined air conditioning.

Ford refuses to compensate me for oil not delivered and broken car. They said that from now on I'm a VIP customer and every time I get to the workshop, the manager will personally take care of me.
Perhaps Thai people listen to such bullshit. Never more a Ford for me. It will be a Toyota instead.

Had so many problems with my new Ranger..wish i had gone for the Nissan... had my old Ranger for 15 years without a single problem

9 hours ago, happy chappie said:

.a little maintainance by myself proves to be the key to long life motoring

Or put the other way, not letting a somchai within a 500m safety radius of your vehicle. Anything they touch will instantly malfunction out of fear.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just something to note about the OP, 

OP states Ford raptors having problems and are sold for about 1 million baht, but Raptors are close to 2 million baht.

So the problem is not with Raptors? or problem with Raptors but they go the price tag wrong?

32 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Or put the other way, not letting a somchai within a 500m safety radius of your vehicle. Anything they touch will instantly malfunction out of fear.

Rubbish.

My local Somchai fixit does a great job and will even go out if necessary to collect the vehicle. It doesn't matter whether it is a Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Honda etc he can fix it but only the older models.

The newer ones he leaves to the dealers who have computer diagnostics and big bills.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My local Somchai fixit does a great job and will even go out if necessary to collect the vehicle. It doesn't matter whether it is a Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Honda etc he can fix it but only the older models.

The newer ones he leaves to the dealers who have computer diagnostics and big bills.

They started using computers somewhere around late 90's. Yes, cars made before that are still simple enough to fix by a somchai, but I still wouldn't trust anyone else except myself to do it, they do too many ad-hoc bubble gum "fixes" and the car ends up unsafe. For larger work like suspension work unfortunately I don't have the tools, so I have to go to a garage and stand right behind the somchai with an evil eye.

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They started using computers somewhere around late 90's. Yes, cars made before that are still simple enough to fix by a somchai, but I still wouldn't trust anyone else except myself to do it, they do too many ad-hoc bubble gum "fixes" and the car ends up unsafe. For larger work like suspension work unfortunately I don't have the tools, so I have to go to a garage and stand right behind the somchai with an evil eye.

If I lift the bonnet of my 2001 Ford Ranger I can see everything I need at a single glance. If I did the same to a 2018 Ford ranger I can see the dipstick, radiator cap, clutch and brake levels and very little else apart from a socket for the diagnostic computer. I would have electronic dials and alarms all over the place to tell me everything and they would all mean the same thing.

GO to the dealer with a low balance on your credit/debit card and they will fix it all for you, at a a price.

If I had the money to spare I would ask my local Somchai fixit if he would be interested in a diagnostic computer and the training on how to use it. I am not so sure what his answer would be, yes or no.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If I had the money to spare I would ask my local Somchai fixit if he would be interested in a diagnostic computer and the training on how to use it. I am not so sure what his answer would be, yes or no.

ODB2 reader will do, 149baht: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/elm327-v27-odb2-bluetooth-intl-i131876238-s140928790.html and a smart phone or PC with bluetooth & software. 

And yes you'll probably need to train him, last time I took my laptop & odb reader to the local garage and showed the error code for the knock sensor they though I was an evil voodoo spirit from outer space or something. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

ODB2 reader will do, 149baht: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/elm327-v27-odb2-bluetooth-intl-i131876238-s140928790.html and a smart phone or PC with bluetooth & software. 

And yes you'll probably need to train him, last time I took my laptop & odb reader to the local garage and showed the error code for the knock sensor they though I was an evil voodoo spirit from outer space or something. 

All new cars get plugged into Obdas at end of line and test rolls.

IRS is aligned, front end is final checked.

They go back down the line and get reworked by a team of fixers.

Dealers are required to perform pre delivery inspection and preparation for road use. 

I can vouch for oz. 

Here I'm inclined to think it's a wash and polish, after the customary selling of the bling and aftercare products. 

Then wrap a big ribbon bow around it and get several sexier looking he/shes to do the delivery and photoshoot. 

They are killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

14 hours ago, BestB said:

Just something to note about the OP, 

OP states Ford raptors having problems and are sold for about 1 million baht, but Raptors are close to 2 million baht.

So the problem is not with Raptors? or problem with Raptors but they go the price tag wrong?

Starting from 1.69 million baht.