Drivers License in Pattaya for a Thai resident

I have to go for my license renewal in a month or so and a thai friend of mine unsurprisingly does not have a license so I thought we would take the opportunity to sort that out.

Just wondering if anybody has any idea of what to expect and if we can get a Thai version of the questions that are likely to be asked for the test and possibly an English version. I have never actually been through the procedure as I transferred my license from Australia and it would be good if somebody could tell me what is involved in a general sense.

cheers

19 minutes ago, 1 said:

if we can get a Thai version of the questions that are likely to be asked for the test and possibly an English version.

The total of 90 English questions is an independent set and is not a simple 1:1 translation of Thai questions.

This site has links to three pdf's with the English language questions:

http://thaidriving.info/

Thai questions?

I once searched for such and it seems there are up to 1000 questions from which the 50 for the test could be selected. But I have no idea whether this can be broken down to a smaller number.

Thai test contains topics that don't appear in English (like legal questions, registration/insurance, vehicle technology...).

I think the forum here is not the best source to supply a Thai person with guidance to the DL process? It would be links to Thai language sources which is not welcomed too much here.

To get an idea you should look at the motor forum:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/78-thailand-motor-forum/

and read the pinned topics.

For a Thai resident of course no "proof of residence" required, just ID card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottjouro said:

If your renewing your DL there is no written exam, for a new driver, ie your Thai friend, yes there is a written exam 

Written exam (multiple choice test on a test computer) and of course "practical test": driving through some traffic kindergarten on the office yard.

• Like 1

OP your friend may also have to actually book an appointment if he is doing it at the DLT next to Regents School. My gf did this recently and it was at least a months wait. 

Apologies if that is mentioned in Spidey's links as I didn't look at them :smile:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, topt said:

OP your friend may also have to actually book an appointment if he is doing it at the DLT next to Regents School.

Appointment needed probably at all offices.

The latest ideas about raising fees for driving without DL seemed to have woken up a lot of Thai people.

There is another DLT in the Laem Chabang area.

Can someone tell whether it is less crowded?