Asian Roads 014 Idiot on red light

DinoSabanovic

I wanted to turn right. I waited traffic to pass and after I saw red light for this motorbike I turned right.

Well, he entered at red light and hit my car.

Very minor damage to my car

It doesn't mater does he entered on red light half a second or a 1 minute, it's his fault.

I wanted to ask what do you think? 

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was yellow when you were already in the intersection box (you’re wrong[emoji736])and chose to proceed as the light was turning red with another driver coming assuming he would stop? (You’re wrong [emoji736]).
Maybe this refresher will help accept that you caused your own accident.

Steady yellow lights signal that the light will turn red soon. So, you must either come to a safe stop before the crosswalk, or, if you can't stop safely, proceed with caution through the intersection before the light turns red. ... A yellow light doesn't necessarily mean "Hurry!"

14 hours ago, Spidey said:

A pair of amber gamblers. The Thai motorcyclist was in the wrong but you are more in the wrong because you are a farang.

This statement is nonsense.

He has right of way since going straight. Since you hit in the middle of the intersection, if any red lights are applicable, you're both making the same mistake.

As others said already, both of you are wrong, he didn't stop at the red traffic light, but you crossed his lane where he had the right of way

In Thailand you should not think that just because the traffic light for him is red he will always stop, especially if it just changed to red.

18 hours ago, Spidey said:

A pair of amber gamblers. The Thai motorcyclist was in the wrong but you are more in the wrong because you are a farang.

...and you're bigger than him! Motorcyclists here are treated like pedestrians by the police, unless you're farang of course.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

This statement is nonsense.

He has right of way since going straight. Since you hit in the middle of the intersection, if any red lights are applicable, you're both making the same mistake.

Not if the light for turning right was green and the other was red.

OP, both you and the motorcycle rider had clear view of each other but neither of you decided to give way. you say he crossed the red light. you entered the box at yellow. you should have waited for the next green to turn. as jesimps stated, it's always the bigger vehicle's fault on thai streets - stupid but true.

You'd have some argument, perhaps, if you showed in your video that you had the green, you didn't show that, wonder why?

The video does not show you "waiting", it shows your vehicle moving all the time, in fact, it looks as if you are following the vehicle in front of you through the amber at normal road speed.

It did show your vehicle proceeding on the amber light which means stop, or get ready to stop.

How could you see what light the bike had? Lights for traffic going in the opposite direction are not positioned for you to see them but even if you can see them they are not a signal for you.

13 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Not if the light for turning right was green and the other was red.

It wasn't, the OP did not have the green light, I'm sure he would have shown it if he did!

Also, from the point of view of whether you should move across a junction or not, it does not matter what light is showing for traffic in other directions!  The only light that has relevance to any driver is the one controlling his direction of travel; if you don't have the green light, and you can stop safely, you don't go, even if every other light on the planet is red.

19 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:

I wanted to turn right. I waited traffic to pass and after I saw red light for this motorbike I turned right.

Well, he entered at red light and hit my car.

Very minor damage to my car

It doesn't mater does he entered on red light half a second or a 1 minute, it's his fault.

I wanted to ask what do you think? 

I think the title of the thread is wrong.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It wasn't, the OP did not have the green light, I'm sure he would have shown it if he did!

Also, from the point of view of whether you should move across a junction or not, it does not matter what light is showing for traffic in other directions!  The only light that has relevance to any driver is the one controlling his direction of travel; if you don't have the green light, and you can stop safely, you don't go, even if every other light on the planet is red.

I get that but he entered in the RED light not, amber. I saw the original video frame by frame and he had at least 3 meters before the line. Red means stop. I't doesn't matter what is happening in the intersection... or does it?

And I was in the intersection already, not behind the line.

So... Let me get this straight. For example now, I'm going straight and I have a red light. If I hit the driver who is going right it's his fault because he didn't give way? Is that what you saying?

Or I should stop in the middle of the intersection and block the traffic?

19 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

It was yellow when you were already in the intersection box (you’re wrongemoji736.png)and chose to proceed as the light was turning red with another driver coming assuming he would stop? (You’re wrong emoji736.png).
Maybe this refresher will help accept that you caused your own accident.

Steady yellow lights signal that the light will turn red soon. So, you must either come to a safe stop before the crosswalk, or, if you can't stop safely, proceed with caution through the intersection before the light turns red. ... A yellow light doesn't necessarily mean "Hurry!"

Soooooo, he entered at the red light and Red means what? Hurry X2, close your eyes and hope for the best?

OP totally at fault IMO.

There is no way he can be sure the m/c heading towards him also had a red light... since many crossings now have totally independent red/green lights. It makes no different whether he entered the crossing with a green or amber light showing, he should not have pulled across the path of an oncoming vehicle.

As a "tester question"... would he have pulled across if it was a bus heading towards him?

If you believed it was his fault you would not be asking. You could have avoided this collision. You should have avoided this collision. You ran the amber when you did not need to.

Technically you are equally at fault but given that you could have avoided it, you are in a car and he is exposed on a bike, you are really the one to blame.

Sorry to say I think you are in the wrong here OP. I think you are splitting hairs to say that because you entered on yellow and the motorbike on red that you no longer have a responsibility to give way to him. Regardless of what colour you both drove into the intersection you could see quite early on that he is not stopping and therefore you should have been prepared to stop and let him through.

Wrong or right, you probably saved someone else from getting hit by this guy. And you did it with minimal damage to your vehicle and without injuries to yourself. Well played, sir. Now, if you had accidentally backed over the guy, that would have been 10 out of 10.

1 hour ago, DinoSabanovic said:

I get that but he entered in the RED light not, amber. I saw the original video frame by frame and he had at least 3 meters before the line. Red means stop. I't doesn't matter what is happening in the intersection... or does it?

And I was in the intersection already, not behind the line.

So... Let me get this straight. For example now, I'm going straight and I have a red light. If I hit the driver who is going right it's his fault because he didn't give way? Is that what you saying?

Or I should stop in the middle of the intersection and block the traffic?

16 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Wrong or right, you probably saved someone else from getting hit by this guy. And you did it with minimal damage to your vehicle and without injuries to yourself. Well played, sir. Now, if you had accidentally backed over the guy, that would have been 10 out of 10.

16 minutes ago, soistalker said:

You think if someone is 3 meters away from a stop signal he could hit the brakes and stop before the line LOL 

Amber light means STOP IF SAFE TO DO SO. Considering the OP had slowed almost to a standstill when the light was on red, it would indicate that he had ample time to stop at the stop line.

Regardless of what the m/cycle did, the OP was wrong.

The real problem, of course, is that the OP is viewing the right and wrong of all of this solely on the basis of technical law. No consideration is being given for the practicalities of driving in Thailand where running red lights is the defacto standard that must be allowed for, everyone else does, why else would cars and bikes sit waiting for five seconds after a traffic light turns green, they're simply waiting for stragglers who they know will eventually show up in most cases. You simply can't drive that way OP.

Archived