Foreign tourist assaulted by security guard after being denied entry at Don Mueang

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Can a person be prosecuted in Thailand  if he had not legally pass immigration and entered Thai soil ? 

A person can be prosecuted for offences committed on an airplane, I think the jurisdiction is dependent on the nationality of the airline.  I do not know the Thai law on this but assume it is similar to many countries where the offender is tried under the laws of the land in which the immigration channels are located.  Although not processed through Immigration they are considered to be in Thailand.

There are some odd situations, the new railway station in HK for example, where different legal systems are applied.  Part of the station, which is completely in HK, is administered under Chinese law.  Obviously the China and HK situation is strange due to the nature of the set up there with HK being a Special Administrative Region of China, but it still has a completely different legal system.

10 minutes ago, Farrows3399 said:

The Thai guard thinks about as much of these Chinese male tourists as I do. By the way Ray, you need some work on your right. 

I've never met a 'full Chinese' national so can't comment on them but I have met a few 'mixed' Chinese who have all seemed well educated & polite imo.

I guess all officials at airports in all countries must deal with a large number of 'problem people' on a daily basis, so although I sympathise with the Thai security chap (given the facts as we know them so far)...maybe better training is in order? ????

I don't understand your final sentence tho Farrow ??

23 minutes ago, rayinkrabi said:

I've never met a 'full Chinese' national so can't comment on them but I have met a few 'mixed' Chinese who have all seemed well educated & polite imo.

I guess all officials at airports in all countries must deal with a large number of 'problem people' on a daily basis, so although I sympathise with the Thai security chap (given the facts as we know them so far)...maybe better training is in order? ????

I don't understand your final sentence tho Farrow ??

I'll refer you to a YouTube video on how to throw a right in boxing. And refer you to Pattaya for some exposure to these full Chinese male tourists. It won't be a total loss for some of the Chinese girls tho. 

• Like 1

Had a chance to look closely at the video.  Note that the guard's left hand is placed close to the tourist's mouth and he appears to have a radio in it.  The tourist then slaps the guard's hand away before the guard reacts with a swing and then bends to retrieve his radio and again hold in his left hand.  Still admit there are better ways for the guard to have reacted but the slapping of the radio from his hand would have been infuriating.

GUESSING  - The guard may have been offering to let him contact his supervisor or someone who speaks Chinese.

GUESSING - The guard may have to pay if his radio is damaged.

Happy to be enlightened by anyone with a slowmo and freeze frame.

Lack of video before the incident shown is either because none taken or because someone doesn't want to show the lead up to give proper context.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

the guard's left hand is placed close to the tourist's mouth and he appears to have a radio in it.  The tourist then slaps the guard's hand away before the guard reacts.

Good detective work AM, If this is indeed the case, then it was the security guard who was first assaulted...surely puts a whole new slant on this? 

Plus, if true, then the headline should be changed to 'Security guard assaulted by Chinese tourist etc.'

Edited by rayinkrabi
To add last sentence.

Just now, Ctkong said:

Shanghai actually has lots of domestic immigrants living there. Most if not all my Shanghai friends are cultured and well mannered.

Yes, I think that you may be right. Most of the business people I met were indeed well mannered and softly spoken.

Travelling on public transport was another matter.

The Imbecilic alleged tourist, got what he was “asking for.”

Top marks to the guard for doing his job. He should be given a Pay Rise instead of being pilloried. 

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm the plot thickens and I still keep an open mind on this but this could explain why the Thailand PM has reacted so angrily....

Copied from the youtube comment section..."A bit translation to help you guys understand the situation, the chinese guy is shouting "help me video this! he rejected my visa application because i refused to bribe him! He hit me in face once and kick me..."

So if this is really the case, the cats out of the bag and the security chap is in the wrong for trying to extort money, but surely everyone knows there is no such thing as corruption in Thailand?

Just now, rayinkrabi said:

Hmmm the plot thickens and I still keep an open mind on this but this could explain why the Thailand PM has reacted so angrily....

Copied from the youtube comment section..."A bit translation to help you guys understand the situation, the chinese guy is shouting "help me video this! he rejected my visa application because i refused to bribe him! He hit me in face once and kick me..."

So if this is really the case, the cats out of the bag and the security chap is in the wrong for trying to extort money, but surely everyone knows there is no such thing as corruption in Thailand?

In the Chinese language the 3rd person reference may or may not be specifically directed at the security guard, the language simply refers to a third person and does not even easily differentiate between male or female, it is often implied by situation or context.  I could not find the youtube clip, there were too many clips of badly behaved tourists to wade through!

The words in the video clip may have been spoken to elicit a response online and put pressure on authorities to admit entry, they are not necessarily true.  Many people today seem to overreact and play up to the cameras.

The tourist may also be accurate in his claim but it is impossible to judge without further info.

Just now, rayinkrabi said:

Here's the link....maybe you understand Chinese and can translate?   

Apologies but my understanding of Mandarin Chinese is limited, my comments were based on my understanding of Cantonese and the similarities in construction and use of the two when referring to a third person.  I have studied both languages but Mandarin only to a basic conversational level, and Cantonese to a more advanced and professional level.

I have also seen many cases, both on youtube and in person, where people of Chinese origin have loudly proclaimed police brutality and assault to further their cause.

• Like 1

Fair enough AM, and very impressive.  I have to admit having trouble with the English language itself...which is quite embarrassing as I was born & bred near London ????

My Friends wife (who speaks fluent Chinese) saw the vid and says he spoke of a 'Tip' being demanded....which as you say may simply be a ruse on his part....but still a strange thing to be shouting out and asking to be filmed....Hmmnm

1 hour ago, rayinkrabi said:

? What's getting thick here is the bs. Security guards do not have anything to do with visas. 

2 hours ago, rayinkrabi said:

The guy subsequently claimed that Immigration had asked for 2000 baht "to make the problem go away" the only problem being that he didn't have proof of accommodation in Thailand. All of us who have spent time in Thailand would know that this is a wholly believable scenario.

Also, at the time, the authorities went into vehement denial of this claim but subsequently, it was never mentioned and airport heads rolled.

Security has no right to punch any one. 

There is a training how to response in such situations and second security man reacted properly. 

That's international place and no one wants to be punched even if is wrong. 

10 minutes ago, gigman said:

Security has no right to punch any one. 

There is a training how to response in such situations and second security man reacted properly. 

That's international place and no one wants to be punched even if is wrong. 

It is the job of security men to use physical force.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:28 PM, Classic Ray said:

Surprised in a large international airport to never see any armed police patrolling to counter terrorism. See one occasionally whizzing somewhere on a Segway, but nothing similar to the armed patrols in Europe or the US. 

Police may have slightly better training than a 300 baht/day security guard, although violence seems the first tactic for both security and police here.

When I first arrived in Don Mueang airport in 1980 I was curious about a security guard who was leaning on a metal frame divider because he had a bayonet on his belt and a hand grenade hanging on his left pocket area. I didn't see any gun on him though.

That impression never left me until today. I was at that time wondering why was he armed like that? How is he going to use the grenade for a start? And is he going to stab terrorist with that dagger.

I was later told that soldiers in Laos and Thailand were not paid well and they just arm them whatever they had on hands. Of course today they're well armed.

You know where the money went don't you? So that was the reason why I saw that soldier arm with odd weapons.

I would love to see him put the pin and loop that grenade at the enemy.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 8:16 PM, worgeordie said:

On the video,we don't know what happened before the guard 

hit him,if the Chinese had stayed where he was supposed to

in the detention area,this would never have happened,some of

these Chinese deserve a slap,they can be very arrogant.

Thailand a bit quick off the mark to grovel to the Chinese.

regards worgeordie

"Thailand a bit quick off the mark to grovel to the Chinese."

Just like the UK and a certain other faith.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, worgeordie said:

So the guard will lose his job, for doing his job,he had been denied 

entry to Thailand ,so goes on walkabout in airport,he refused to stay

in the detention room!,sounds like he was trying to enter Thailand anyway.

regards worgeordie

A guard is there to protect, the tourist police to serve!

The Chines provocateur was asking for it while NOT following orders to sit down.

12 hours ago, The manic said:

It is the job of security men to use physical force.

Can't say I agree with your suggestion.  It is the job of security men and police to avoid using physical force wherever possible.  Even then it should be a graduated approach using soft control and then hard control techniques; swinging arms and flailing fists are not a recommended tactic.  It all boils down to proper training and effective use of it. 

49 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Can't say I agree with your suggestion.  It is the job of security men and police to avoid using physical force wherever possible.  Even then it should be a graduated approach using soft control and then hard control techniques; swinging arms and flailing fists are not a recommended tactic.  It all boils down to proper training and effective use of it. 

It sounds like a description of a perfect world.

I agree, but theory is not always close to reality.