Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

webfact

Got to Thailand 15 years ago....am sure the Thais weren't so ''angry'' back then....or maybe it was just the lack of social media?

Either way, they are just shooting themselves in the foot, but are too pig-headed to realise...

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

Same in the Philippines.

And the same in almost any country in the world. The taxi driver mafia in Thailand reacts like all mafias: the moment someone steps on their turf, they resort to intimidation on violence.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

>>>
One poster on Facebook Watthanaanan Imviseth said that he was fed up with his country. He said that Grab was safer and more convenient than the local taxis and it was time that the service was recognized and made legal. >>
GRAB is legal here, so I don't know why the locals are pissed off? Seems like in BKK many normal taxis also do Grab services. 

That surprised me too when I arrived at the arcade bus terminal in CM and seeing that ridiculous banners all over the place.
Who's saying grab is illegal?
The taxi mafia?
They should be sued and forced to remove this BS from the bus station.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

In a previous life I was a Taxi driver back home for 28 yrs. It was a very rigorous system to get into the Taxi business. First off, one had to have an almost exemplary police record (a bag snatcher or molester would not be the most suitable person for the job).

Secondly, you had to have a thorough knowledge of the area you were seeking the licence for (city).

You had to have a car that was not over a certain age and was checked yearly, along with your meter (for not being tampered with for overcharging purposes, etc).

You had to dress respectably and have no "smells etc., in the car (body odour).  I could go on...

Then the "Hackney cabs started to appear. While they were regulated by the Government...they by no means had to go through the rigours. Many "real" Taxi men resented them greatly because they had mortgaged their homes or borrowed from the banks to set up a secure job that would earn them enough money to rear their children, send them to college and support their families. Then, all of a sudden one had this competition by people who had laid out very little money and had less expenses than the "real" Taxi man. Would a normal guy not get a bit "miffed" at this.

I would imagine that the likes of Grab and Uber would be cause for resentment for many Taxi drivers who have invested everything in the job only to see people with little or no "qualifications" being able to get behind the wheel of their car and start working at the same level...without many checks in any department...criminal past or abilities.

Nothing to do with whether there are enough customers to go around...or not.

I said the same thing.  In Australia taxi plates cost upwards of half a million dollars.