New car models 2019?

sanook 1

26 minutes ago, GLewis said:

New Toyota Camry coming out. Same body and interior as the model that has been in the USA for 2 years now.  Its nice, we will buy in February or March trading in our old Camry which will be 6 years old then..

What will be the price and engines available ?

54 minutes ago, Retfed50 said:

Ford will be importing two models of the Mustang. One at 2.7 mill and the other at 3.6.

Saw a new Mustang last week in the parking lot at Grand Prix Golf Club in Bo Phloi. Didn't check the engine size, but it's a fine looking ride.

3 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

Saw a new Mustang last week in the parking lot at Grand Prix Golf Club in Bo Phloi. Didn't check the engine size, but it's a fine looking ride.

Yes, it is a grey import, Mustangs have always been here, not imported in by Ford.

As Retfed50 mentioned, Ford Thailand are coming on board here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lets not forget the new Nissan Teana which hoipefully will be released in Thailand. Very big difference to the current model seen on the streets now and definitely a big contender for Toyota Camry / Honda Accord.

And then (one size smaller) the new Mazda 3 with its revolutionary new motor design (works like a diesel but with gasoline). Equipped like a Camry, cheaper, but smaller.

54 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Lets not forget the new Nissan Teana which hoipefully will be released in Thailand. Very big difference to the current model seen on the streets now and definitely a big contender for Toyota Camry / Honda Accord.

And then (one size smaller) the new Mazda 3 with its revolutionary new motor design (works like a diesel but with gasoline). Equipped like a Camry, cheaper, but smaller.

Unfortunately, we are only getting a "minor change" on the teana this time around. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/nissan-teana-minorchange-alive-coming-soon-thailand/

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Unfortunately, we are only getting a "minor change" on the teana this time around. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/nissan-teana-minorchange-alive-coming-soon-thailand/

IMHO Nissan is wasting a big chance to take a big piece of the cake. And the customers are not happy too.

We would probably have bought the (all new) Teana. So now it is for us only either the new Camry Hybrid or Mazda 3 and maaaaybe the Honda Accord (but I think it will come along too old fashioned design wise). The new Nissan would have been exactly what has been (and still is) missing in Thailand. Not everbody is a farmer or offroad enthusiast.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moogradod said:

IMHO Nissan is wasting a big chance to take a big piece of the cake. And the customers are not happy too.

We would probably have bought the (all new) Teana. So now it is for us only either the new Camry Hybrid or Mazda 3 and maaaaybe the Honda Accord (but I think it will come along too old fashioned design wise). The new Nissan would have been exactly what has been (and still is) missing in Thailand. Not everbody is a farmer or offroad enthusiast.

Well, the original teana was well outsold by the accord and camry even when it was new, so I guess there is no business case for it. The new camry, to me, looks better than the new accord. The 2.5, assuming we get it, has over 200hp, so may be a decent drive.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:07 PM, moogradod said:

Nissan is wasting a big chance to take a big piece of the cake. And the customers are not happy too.

That's what Nissan Thailand does. Same folks that have the rights to Ford Thailand. Nuff said.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2018 at 11:59 AM, DavisH said:

The 2.5, assuming we get it, has over 200hp, so may be a decent drive.

The specs are up and yup Toyota brought the 2.5 to Thailand. Only the lowest spec one has a 2.0 engine. The two higher grades force you to get a hybrid. Not sure if that's good or bad, I mean leaning to bad. In theory it could have a big amount of torque (221Nm from ICE and 202Nm from electric motor) but I doubt they combine it that way to maximize torque, it's already suspicious that they don't publish the combined torque (as they do for HP). Also the hybrids have a CVT which for me is a strong downside. And good luck with the batteries after 10 years.

Personally unless Honda does something very stupid, I think the Accord will be the better car. I think design wise it's much nicer as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Personally unless Honda does something very stupid, I think the Accord will be the better car. I think design wise it's much nicer as well.

1. The Honda is not available right now and I do not know when it will be

2. The Honda has a very conservative design, not nice at all at least for us (combined opionion of my wife and myself)

And the Camry has now a memory seat on the drivers side and a moonroof (OK that is not that important but nice). The CVT must just be maintained well I think, and the battteries - well - they must be exchanged. I do not know who much that will be.

But it seems that we are opting for the Camry since Mazda was so stupid and did not promote the all new - and very nice - Teana. The current model is indeed designwise outdated as can be. That is why they do not sell more. They could have changed this around.

• Like 1

For what it is worth: had a quick test drive in the Camry (Top model Hybrid, as only that was available). not testing for myself, as not my kind of car, but for company car. 

With the lack of options, (never been a Toyota fan, just don't care for the design), we did order 2. Hybrid but not top model. I think this one is a good deal, as it is only 50-60K more than the regular 2.5 model. 

From the short test drive some thoughts:

x interior was cream/white....(which we did not order, ordered black to keep it reasonable for longer) and was indeed very nice...nicest Toyota interior i have seen. Good looking supple leather, not plasticky as usually found. It also looks quite a modern interior and is light years better than the outgoing one.

x Exterior, well....it is unmistakenly a Toyota...the back looks ok, the front well not really. 

x Space: i was a little surprised to find that the back seats were less roomy than the outgoing model, especially what headroom is concerned. The car appears a bit flatter, more sporty. The trunk is excellent size, square wide and deep. Seats are well formed

x Driving: in Hybrid mode it is stealth quiet. You don't feel the hybrid and petrol mode swap and kick in, very seamless operation, nice. Never been a fan of CVT and this is no different, if you really put the foot down, you can hear immediate high revs but the speed kicks up a bit later, kind of non linear if you get what i mean. however, it feels definitely brisk, but in a non sporty way, because of the sound, etc. Can't say too much about handling, as it was all pretty straight, but i feel it did do well....had a Camry 15 years back, which was aptly named the "boat"....

Again, it will sell loads, not only because it is a Toyota, but no alternatives really. The minor change Teanna is a big let down, as it is 95% the old one with a 10 year old interior. The Honda not available yet and i won't buy a Honda in Phuket at least for some time until they have sorted out their dealership mess and fiasko. Waiting 2-3 weeks for a queue to service your car isn't on! It is absolutely ridiculous how much Honda is loosing here in Phuket since last year their fallout with the main dealership covering like 7-8 dealers, now they have 1 for the whole of Phuket!

• Like 2

The new Accord will be available in February according to two different dealers. I expect them to show the car at the Motor Expo in 2 weeks in BKK.

Replacement batteries will probably cost between $2k and $4k from what I've seen. Hybrids are not worth it imho, too bad compromises. Next step full electric. What we have with hybrids now is not here and not there.

CVT is not a maintenance point for me but a driving dynamics one. It just feels rubbery. Just like frankphuket described, when you put the pedal down, the revs climb very fast, lots of noise but no go. It's like a turbo lag on steroids. Noise and acceleration are not connected. I'll take a regular auto any day.

Maybe one can order most of the features of the top trim but get the regular 2.5 engine, no idea. I'd want those ventilated seats for example.

Overall I wouldn't want that hybrid. Neither for the Camry nor the Accord.

frankphuket: yea that Honda dealership mess in Phuket is a real concern. But I've seen people reporting that it got better and there's not such a long waiting time anymore. Can't say for sure. There were never 7-8 dealers. There was 1 dealership (Anuphas) with 2 (3?) locations. Now we have again 1 dealership (Maliwan) with 2 locations... they love monopolies it seems. Toyota smartly has at least 2 seperate dealerships (with 3 or 4 locations) in Phuket that I know of. You are right, this has cost Honda a lot, Toyota ate them alive. Can't see all too many red plate Hondas on the street now. Seeing lots of Toyota, Mazda etc. All airport non-meter taxis are required to be a Toyota Camry. This surely brought some nice cash for Toyota but also is a reason not to get a Camry and look like a taxi ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The new Accord will be available in February according to two different dealers. I expect them to show the car at the Motor Expo in 2 weeks in BKK.

Replacement batteries will probably cost between $2k and $4k from what I've seen. Hybrids are not worth it imho, too bad compromises. Next step full electric. What we have with hybrids now is not here and not there.

CVT is not a maintenance point for me but a driving dynamics one. It just feels rubbery. Just like frankphuket described, when you put the pedal down, the revs climb very fast, lots of noise but no go. It's like a turbo lag on steroids. Noise and acceleration are not connected. I'll take a regular auto any day.

Maybe one can order most of the features of the top trim but get the regular 2.5 engine, no idea. I'd want those ventilated seats for example.

Overall I wouldn't want that hybrid. Neither for the Camry nor the Accord.

frankphuket: yea that Honda dealership mess in Phuket is a real concern. But I've seen people reporting that it got better and there's not such a long waiting time anymore. Can't say for sure. There were never 7-8 dealers. There was 1 dealership (Anuphas) with 2 (3?) locations. Now we have again 1 dealership (Maliwan) with 2 locations... they love monopolies it seems. Toyota smartly has at least 2 seperate dealerships (with 3 or 4 locations) in Phuket that I know of. You are right, this has cost Honda a lot, Toyota ate them alive. Can't see all too many red plate Hondas on the street now. Seeing lots of Toyota, Mazda etc. All airport non-meter taxis are required to be a Toyota Camry. This surely brought some nice cash for Toyota but also is a reason not to get a Camry and look like a taxi ????

The petrol 2.5 is a basic model and has nothing like the specs of the premium hybrid...I think the mid-spec hybrid would be the one to go for as it's not a lot more expensive than the petrol version - the difference in price could be recovered in 2-3 years. The hybrid is a bit quicker as well. Personally, I'd still prefer the petrol for it's normal gearbox, but haven't read any review on this one yet from Thailand (only mention about acceleration in one article, in Thai). It would also be easier to replace the head unit in the lower versions, as the air cond controls are not integrated into the headunit fascia as in the top model. 

• Like 1

Yea I know that the "grade" as Toyota calls it is different between the hybrid and normal 2.5, and it's a pretty crappy market strategy that forces people to get a hybrid with CVT if they want the upper spec. I really hope Honda doesn't follow suit. But like I said, maybe it's possible to order the other things from the top grade with the normal 2.5? One would have to check with Toyota.

I'm not sure if these hybrids actually save any money over the long term by being a tiny bit more fuel efficient if one takes into account higher purchase price and battery replacement costs. If one just keeps the car up to say 5 years, that shouldn't be an issue though.

What features does the mid spec hybrid have that the 2.5 doesn't? "Smooth" leather vs normal leather, "Nanoe" which seems to be an air ionizer (wouldn't want that in a car, everything becomes black), chrome grill/mold and memory function for steering wheel. All these would be totally unimportant for me apart from maybe the leather, would have to see in the flesh. Did I miss something?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, eisfeld said:

So seems like Honda has shown the new Accord at the Motor Expo but no pricing info? At least I couldn't find anything and the car is not on Hondas page yet.

There is nothing available yet. No specs either. But there will be the 1.5 turbo (192HP) and 2.0 hybrid (215HP?).

Edited by DavisH