One dead in Phoenix boat salvage operations

webfact

One dead in Phoenix boat salvage operations

By The Thaiger

S__118448173.jpg

The salvage operations for the ‘Phoenix’ have become mired in poor arrangements and unsuitable weather since operations began several months ago. Now, one person has died during the operations.

On September 29, around noon, 37 year old Nipat ‘Jos’ Gladnak died during the salvage operation. It’s reported that Khun Nipat fainted whilst standing at the back of the salvage boat. He fell off the boat into the water. He was immediately retrieved from water and rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

Khun Nipat was from Chumphon. He was working for a company contracted to assist in the salvage operation.  We was working on the project since the Phoenix was discovered underwater. He also helped to search for belongings of Phoenix boat victims and getting the salvaged property back to the survivors. His body has been repatriated to Chumphon.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/one-dead-in-phoenix-boat-salvage-operations

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-10-02

RIP to the dead man, it looks like they are trying to winch

the boat up from the stern of the ship,that way it's never

fully going to be out of the water,I thought that they would 

need a floating crane to lift the vessel to the surface,pump

the water out,boat should float again.who is paying for the

salvage operation?,

regards Worgeordie

58 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

RIP to the dead man, it looks like they are trying to winch

the boat up from the stern of the ship,that way it's never

fully going to be out of the water,I thought that they would 

need a floating crane to lift the vessel to the surface,pump

the water out,boat should float again.who is paying for the

salvage operation?,

regards Worgeordie

Interesting question about who is paying for it. My bet is future Chinese boat tourists will be picking up the tab one way or another.

Probably increased fare prices to cover insurance premiums and levies and any shortfalls on the insured amount; or even lifejacket hire or lifeboat surcharge. No stone will be left unturned to recover the costs.

Another failing in the Thai culture is highlighted here.  Very few Thais are familiar with any kind of First Aid and even less have knowledge of artificial resuscitation, etc.  I have been to locations were defib units have been provided and nobody has been able to use them because they were never taught and because the Thais do not want to know and never asked how they should/could be used.

'nuf sed 

15 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Bound to happen in what appears to be a mickey mouse salvage operation. 

Exactly! I have been wondering when it would happen, not if. Now their plan is to drag the boat into shallower water. Brilliant! Why not use air bags instead of a crane? I'm guessing these clowns have no clue what they are doing. Another TIT moment.

The RTN have salvage equipment....barge cranes, seal divers and etc.....

It's not difficult to raise a sunken vessel.....but there clowns seem to make it a monumental task and now a fatality of a crew member.

No doubt there's money involved.

• Confused 1

If an offering to the Phi Tay Hong spirits in the water is not sufficient, there must be an exorcism performed to drive away these bad spirits. That is probably the only way to come to a safe and successful operation.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

If an offering to the Phi Tay Hong spirits in the water is not sufficient, there must be an exorcism performed to drive away these bad spirits. That is probably the only way to come to a safe and successful operation.

Maybe a another, but bigger, donation to the big Thai spirit who gave those cowboy salvers the job would help.

Salvage is expensive dangerous work

i sense maybe ( a scandalous thought i must admit and i will flagellate myself  with wet copy of the nation for even thinking such) its being,or trying to be done on "the cheap"

obviously leading to the present results 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, fxe1200 said:

Yes, send a Monk out to the site, he will do a chant, and then all is good to carry on, until the next death.  Then repeat. 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:15 AM, beechbum said:

Standing on the hook, hands on the pulley, people sitting under the back of the crane, most wearing runners....an HSE officer could have a field day....if there was one there!!

I'm a retired HSE Officer "offshore" and spotted half a dozen "Stop Card" infractions in less than a minute.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:16 PM, wotsdermatter said:

Another failing in the Thai culture is highlighted here.  Very few Thais are familiar with any kind of First Aid and even less have knowledge of artificial resuscitation, etc.  I have been to locations were defib units have been provided and nobody has been able to use them because they were never taught and because the Thais do not want to know and never asked how they should/could be used.

'nuf sed 

Well, I don't know how to use a defib unit either.

Took lifesaving swimming courses with emerg resuscitation in my earlier years and I don't remember much to be honest.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jaideedave said:

I'm a retired HSE Officer "offshore" and spotted half a dozen "Stop Card" infractions in less than a minute.

Yes, and now let's talk about how we object to all the rules and regulations back home.

Having said that, this salvage is beyond belief, and should have been done professionally from the beginning. I am tec trained, so are a few others in the area, but no way any of us will get involved with this operation.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:16 AM, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed 

Not too many westerners possess the knowledge you expect of Thais.  Walk through most any western airport which has a defibrillator unit available, and very few people will know what to do with it, despite there being voice prompts.   You don't know how the man died, but the story suggests that this was a sudden cardiac death. The man was immediately retrieved after he collapsed.  There isn't much one can do in these cases when the heart  goes. I'd focus more on the absence of safety gear including flotation gear worn by the workers. The barges these clowns are using are in  wretched shape and I doubt they would pass a proper safety  certification.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, wotsdermatter said:

'nuf sed 

And I assume that you are fully capable of using  "First Aid and ...... artificial resuscitation, etc."

Yes ?

Good for you. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, oldrunner said:

Old fear of helping accident/unconscious victim and they die, they will haunt you forever. Reason zillion of Thais refuse to learn how to swim, go into the water yes, learn how to swim or help someone in distress no.

I don't know where you are from, but swimming lessons were part of the curriculum where I came from.  

Do they have swimming programs in basic Thailand schools 

17 minutes ago, neeray said:

And I assume that you are fully capable of using  "First Aid and ...... artificial resuscitation, etc."

Yes ?

Good for you. 

Yes, I would trust him with his medical knowledge. Less so though about knowledge of diving accidents and salvage operations.