Is Thailand All That if you have to work everyday?

bwpage3

I expect my children to share whatever they have with me when I am old.
Same as I shared whatever I had with them when they were young.
Same as all the Thais around me do now and my parents and my grandparents did before.
Well I hope for your kids sakes they are boys and not girls. A girl who didn't Excell in the thai education system on a lowly wage will feel enormous pressure to take on a part time income that I really don't want to talk about.

Good luck to your family sir.
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 4:08 AM, pgrahmm said:

Met a few young families that thought it better raise their children here, instead of wherever they came from.....

Everybody has a different perspective....

Thailand, like everywhere, is many things for many people....

Yep.

.....every situation, interpretation, lifestyle, and comfort will differ one from the other. 

Good, bad, or indifferent - there isn't an absolute as formed standard to what is and what isn't. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

Yes, we know it's a valid point, because we live here.  Don't need a narcissist on the other side of the planet to state the bleedin' obvious about things in Thailand to people who live in Thailand.  It's the same theme with this guy, over and over again.  Just sayin'. 

Perhaps what he says is too close to home for some to just take it as a statement of common sense.

• Like 1

I suppose one advantage of living in Thailand while you are working is the low cost - compared to Western salaries or pensions - of domestic help to look after your Aged Parents in their dotage, just for the sake of straying back on topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My daughter (not actually mine, but a joint effort between single mom next door and me, I paid all her schooling) is 20 now and a second year at university studying International Business Studies, has already been offered 25k/year when she finishes, purely on her English speaking abilities. That's enough to get a 1.5Mbht home loan (repayments 11k/month), plenty of houses around in that range.

I don't see my son (all my own work, 7 years old) doing any worse.

I would ask you if the job that offers 25k a year is in the same vicinity that houses are sold for 1.5 Mil?

2 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I would ask you if the job that offers 25k a year is in the same vicinity that houses are sold for 1.5 Mil?

Yes, it's in Chiang Mai with an International company.

Thai companies only offer 15k.

Edited by BritManToo

Same as all the Thais around me do now and my parents and my grandparents did before.

What happens if your expectations are wrong?

Edited by bwpage3

I paid 1.7Mbht for my 3 bed/3 shower modern house, 90% home loan 1.5Mbht, repayments 11kbht/month. Secured against a wage of 25k/month (6 payslips required). About 12KM from the centre of Chiang Mai.

Plenty of cheaper houses around between 1M-1.5Mbht, or you can buy a plot for 400k and build your own as many young Thais do.

Hardly in the middle of nowhere, my daughter had about 5 universities to choose from within 15Km

My son's school is 1Km down the road, all the local teachers send their kids there (which is why he goes there).

Why wouldn't I want my children to live like all my middle-class Thai neighbour's children?

Delete

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I paid 1.7Mbht for my 3 bed/3 shower modern house, 90% home loan 1.5Mbht, repayments 11kbht/month.

Secured against a wage of 25k/month (6 payslips required). About 12KM from the centre of Chiang Mai.

Plenty of cheaper houses around between 1M-1.5Mbht, or you can buy a plot for 400k and build your own as many young Thais do.

Hardly in the middle of nowhere, my daughter had about 5 universities to choose from within 15Km

My son's school is 1Km down the road, all the local teachers send their kids there (which is why he goes there).

Why wouldn't I want my children to live like all my middle-class Thai neighbour's children?

Well that certainly seems very reasonable and sustainable.

• Like 2

Too many posters on this forum looking down on Thais and the Thai way of life.
I think they have it right, and we western people have it wrong (which is one of the reasons I'm here).
Family is important, money not so.

Many of you would be better off returning to your home countries where things are more to your liking.

I don't have a problem with thais. I have a problem with farang extracting money from there kids thai style.

How do losers end up peeing every bean against the wall after 40 years of working and breed to create an income thai style?

Please do not misquote me!

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Way off topic,

But I've got a few back in the UK mortgaging their souls to get a worthless degree, and living with their mom.

At least out here, my kids can earn enough money in a fairly basic job to buy their own house.

And my kids here tell me they will pay for me and support me in my old age, the ones back in the UK wish I were already dead.

All in all, I prefer the Thai way, poor education and love for their parents.

your a sad man that makes you no better than a poor thai man, you expect your Thai kids to take care of you when your old. you should be ashamed of yourself !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have lived in Thailand twice. The first time I eorked, commuted everyday. This time I work for myself, work when I want. For me Thailand is hell if you work 9 to 5, and heaven if you don't. It is crazy how much the two contrast, but in my opinion it is true. Dealing with the intermingling Thai and foreign staff and commuting in bkk alone is about a ten on the life annoyance scale. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

What happens if your expectations are wrong?

Life is very often a game of chance, even the best laid plans of mice and men can go awry. From age 16 not all of my expectations have come to fruition. (Is that clearer catman?)

Edited by freebyrd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I remember my elderly grandmother in the UK spending half her life with my parents, half her life with my aunt's family in the 1960s. It was considered normal, and now just 50 years later westerners insult people who still think elderly parents should still be cared for by their children. I used to look forward to the 6 months Gran came to live with us.

How callous and cold and selfish western people have become.

It's a true sign that modern western civilisation is worthless.

Off topic but I was to stress that one good aspect of Chinese culture is filial piety towards parents....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Do you or have you any kids in those expensive International Schools because I did for almost 10 years and when we came back to the USA, he was a full year behind

Secondly for every expat with an expat job there is 1000 others working locally.

People that are working full-time in Thailand don't have the time to fly around now do they?

As far as Koh Samet, Hua Hin, Khao Yai, those are certainty not anything worth more than a day at best

Yes (my son goes to a good Int'l school in BKK), if I thought otherwise we would be living back in the UK and my son going to a UK school.

Your opinion differs from those I know whose opinions I sought on this specific topic when making the choice to remain in Thailand and have my son educated in an international school here instead of the UK. Had I been given any cause for concern I would not have hesitated to move back to the UK. 

Do you really believe that for every 1 expat with a decent job there are 1000 westerners working hand to mouth without any future? (reading into your comments in context with your opening post) - any idea what % of stats are made up on the spot? (I'd guess something closer to 50/50 - career expats to career wasters... But, I suspect this all comes down to who you are exposed to while here - if you only associate with wasters it would be fair to assume that most here are, equally so, if you only associated with career expats its easy to assume that there are not as many wasters as you would imply). 

With regards to freedom and time to travel: People that are working anywhere have less time for holiday or to fly around, why would this make Thailand any worse?... Its easy to get out of Bangkok or any city given a little effort... With a car its very easy to be anywhere and have a weekend away (to the places I mentioned - or grab flight to... anywhere - its easily done, I've done it numerous times - it doesn't really take much planning). 

We'll have to agree that our opinions differ if you think any of these places 2 hours away are only worth a day trip...  our next weekend away is in Samet, somewhere we visit to chill out a couple of times per year - my son loves the beach and the beach restaurants are floodlit and the kids can play on the beach in evenings... its all very relaxed...  

A coupe of weekends ago we were in Hua Hin... its so easy to get around... 

I suspect your judgment is being clouded by your determination to express your negativity... I guess you just didn't like Thailand. 

Thailand is not perfect... but your points all seem a little flawed and bias when viewed through the lens of objectivity 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

So all in all life for me is much better here and and i certainly would not swap it for moving back to the country i don't even recognise anymore.

On this point - I think for the most part life is what you make of it. 

Somewhere would have to be really crappy for a positive person not to enjoy it. Equally so, someone who questions somewhere with so much negativity may find difficult fully enjoying them self anywhere.

That said, the Op makes some valid points if his assumptions were true. But, it seems that the Op targets the 'expat' community, but draws his assumptions from the (for want of a better phrase) 'lowest end of the spectrum' of expats in Thailand who may have a more secure future in their home countries. 

The Op assumes (as a recent post points out) that for every 1 Westerner with an Expat job there are 1000 working locally.... by, locally I am assuming a wage equivalent to that a Thai would earn...  may be he's correct... I'm not so sure though... through sport (playing football) I know an eclectic mix of people from CEO's to Lawyers, International Teachers, Business owners, Mangers to local managers those teaching language at a crappy language school and living on the breadline, I've know those with nothing, no money, no education but those folk tend to pass through quite quickly..

To summarize ... as a single point of reference most people I know in Thailand have a very positive outlook on life primarily because they have very positive futures here in Thailand which is in complete contradiction to the points the Op makes. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I see the OP is back again with yet another thinly veiled pop at those of us who have managed to make a life here and actually enjoy it.

So many half arsed assumptions. I have lived and worked here for 10 years now and not one of your points applies.

1. Earning less money - incorrect, earning more money in a higher position and less hours now than my previous job ( same company ).

2. No pension - incorrect, still paying stamp that will mean i get full pension on retirement. Plus private pension and Thai provident fund ( not much but will pay for 1 or 2 holidays every year ).

3. Still have my own house, mortgage being paid for by my tenant of 10 years, only 2 years to go, another few hundred pounds every month i can put towards my pension.

4. Going to work all sweaty - incorrect, drive to work in my air con car then walk 10 metres to my air con office.

So all in all life for me is much better here and and i certainly would not swap it for moving back to the country i don't even recognise anymore.

Those of us?

So far you are the only one the make the claims that life is better when you have to work full time in Thailand.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:23 PM, Denim said:

I used to work in Bangkok in IT as the OP said. At first I thought it was pretty cool. I wasn't a tourist and was earning enough money to support myself and pay for any dissipation I indulged in.

But as time went by friends and family came and went and partied hard all over the country. I could not join them on their adventures as I was working. I could not even stay up late as I had to get up to go to work.

Gradually the 9-5 grind of work sucked almost all the fun of living here and was as bad as doing it in the UK only that I earnt a lot less money.

Eventually , I gave it up and went home and worked and schemed for two years, investing in property and saving my money.

Came back with a sufficient grubstake plus a bit of an income from renting out my flat.

Haven't worked since and am glad I left otherwise would still be working here........awful.

As Punch and Judy would say, that’s the way to do it ????

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes (my son goes to a good Int'l school in BKK), if I thought otherwise we would be living back in the UK and my son going to a UK school.

Your opinion differs from those I know whose opinions I sought on this specific topic when making the choice to remain in Thailand and have my son educated in an international school here instead of the UK. Had I been given any cause for concern I would not have hesitated to move back to the UK. 

Do you really believe that for every 1 expat with a decent job there are 1000 westerners working hand to mouth without any future? (reading into your comments in context with your opening post) - any idea what % of stats are made up on the spot? (I'd guess something closer to 50/50 - career expats to career wasters... But, I suspect this all comes down to who you are exposed to while here - if you only associate with wasters it would be fair to assume that most here are, equally so, if you only associated with career expats its easy to assume that there are not as many wasters as you would imply). 

With regards to freedom and time to travel: People that are working anywhere have less time for holiday or to fly around, why would this make Thailand any worse?... Its easy to get out of Bangkok or any city given a little effort... With a car its very easy to be anywhere and have a weekend away (to the places I mentioned - or grab flight to... anywhere - its easily done, I've done it numerous times - it doesn't really take much planning). 

We'll have to agree that our opinions differ if you think any of these places 2 hours away are only worth a day trip...  our next weekend away is in Samet, somewhere we visit to chill out a couple of times per year - my son loves the beach and the beach restaurants are floodlit and the kids can play on the beach in evenings... its all very relaxed...  

A coupe of weekends ago we were in Hua Hin... its so easy to get around... 

I suspect your judgment is being clouded by your determination to express your negativity... I guess you just didn't like Thailand. 

Thailand is not perfect... but your points all seem a little flawed and bias when viewed through the lens of objectivity 

"Your opinion differs from those I know whose opinions I sought on this specific topic when making the choice to remain in Thailand and have my son educated in an international school here instead of the UK"

Sorry it is not my opinion is a proven fact. My son came back to the USA after 10 years in Prem International In Chiang Mai 1 year behind his age. That is a fact. I would never rely on the opinion of anyone to make such an important decision. 

Fast forward, speaking 3 languages, he is on his was to the Uni of Florida in 2019

Aside of expats working in Thailand, who in their right mind would send their kids to International School in Thailand?

Gee, lets see? Chulalongkorn or Oxford or Harvard? Is your opinion Chula is on par with Oxford?

Next weekend in Samet? From Trip Advisor this year:

before this place and nice and quiet and clean. Now it is dirty plus there is Basic thai tourist rasism when you enter the island, thai people pay 40 baht for going in and foreigers have to pay 200 baht. One of the beaches had somekind garbage dump site and water is not even close so clear it was before. Lots of noises and gasoline smell because of private boats and there is only few good places to eat. So i would recommed somewhere else to go.

right on Koh Samet's beaches: some pollution and rubbish

Black water streaming across the beach into the water is not a Samet problem, it is a national one. Drains carrying disgusting, stinking water – like this on Ao Phai Beach – can be found on beaches all across Thailand. While the authorities recognize such pollution as a problem, the locals are not sufficiently disturbed by rubbish and black water on their beaches to take sufficient action to solve the problems. 

No thanks!

Somewhere would have to be really crappy for a positive person not to enjoy it. Equally so, someone who questions somewhere with so much negativity may find difficult fully enjoying them self anywhere.

That said, the Op makes some valid points if his assumptions were true. But, it seems that the Op targets the 'expat' community, but draws his assumptions from the (for want of a better phrase) 'lowest end of the spectrum' of expats in Thailand who may have a more secure future in their home countries. 

The Op assumes (as a recent post points out) that for every 1 Westerner with an Expat job there are 1000 working locally.... by, locally I am assuming a wage equivalent to that a Thai would earn...  may be he's correct... I'm not so sure though... through sport (playing football) I know an eclectic mix of people from CEO's to Lawyers, International Teachers, Business owners, Mangers to local managers those teaching language at a crappy language school and living on the breadline, I've know those with nothing, no money, no education but those folk tend to pass through quite quickly..

To summarize ... as a single point of reference most people I know in Thailand have a very positive outlook on life primarily because they have very positive futures here in Thailand which is in complete contradiction to the points the Op makes. 

There is always a handful, that the only expats they seem to know are the CEO's, Lawyers, yadda, yadda, yadda

It is quite obvious that none of these CEO, Lawyer, Rich types ever expose themselves or even post on TV with any regulatory if at all?

Then the characterize the masses of expats as being extremely well off compared to the rest of the world locations, inspite of the 10,000's of post contrary to that.

Do you ever read how many people post about VISA's and VISA problems, VISA runs, etc.? 10,000's of posts. I am pretty sure if every expat was a CEO or a lawyer there would be very few having trouble with any VISA issues?

The post has nothing to do with positive outlook on life. It has to do with is Thailand a different experience if you have to work everyday?

On every post there is always that one guy that everyone they know is a CEO, Lawyer, Business Owner, etc. and seems to think that is the norm in Thailand?

One would think if everyone was a lawyer, CEO, etc. that there wouldn't be 10,000+ posts about people having VISA Issues, VISA Run Issues, Overstay, how to stay in Thailand, etc.

Correct?

One always hardly ever, if ever, see's anyone posting here claiming to be a CEO, lawyer etc.

The post has nothing to do with a positive outlook on life.

The post is about is Thailand all that if you have to work every single day?

Now, when people stick to the post topic, they get sensible replies like this that directly address the topic:

I have lived in Thailand twice. The first time I worked, commuted everyday. This time I work for myself, work when I want. For me Thailand is hell if you work 9 to 5, and heaven if you don't. It is crazy how much the two contrast, but in my opinion it is true. Dealing with the intermingling Thai and foreign staff and commuting in bkk alone is about a ten on the life annoyance scale

This poster understood and directly responded to the topic in an honest manner.

Pretty simple post, however, always the bunch that want to turn it into something personnel and start blaming for any little thing.

Now one poster, who claims to make more money working in Thailand, driving his air con car to work, walking 10 meters to his air con office, seems to think all of the expats enjoy this luxury?

To understand the post:

1. You would have had to have been working in Thailand full-time and had the experience of what that was like.

2. Have the experience of working in Thailand full-time and then retiring or not having to work

3. Visiting Thailand on multiple holidays, then moving to Thailand and having to work full time

Seems pretty simple to understand to answer the post?

You have to really wonder about these folks who never answer a post and always turn it into a negative attack against the poster.