Punched in the Face: Plunge in Chinese Tourists Rattles Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Chinese tourist arrivals in Thailand are tumbling, dragging down overall visitor growth in the Southeast Asian nation and dimming the outlook for an economy that relies on spending by holidaymakers.

Travelers from China slid 12 percent in August, the biggest drop in more than a year, keeping the overall pace of visitor growth near a 16-month low. Thai officials are rattled as Chinese visitors are the top source of foreign receipts in an industry that makes up about a fifth of the economy..."

The chickens are coming home to roost!

The Junta has been so busy sucking up to their 'new best friends' and ignoring all the paying customers that they had, and now...

Most of the economic growth in Thailand since the coup has been from tourism, and most of that has been from Chinese tourism. It behooves the Junta to learn the lesson from S Korea a few years back; S Korea angered China, so China cut off tourism there for a bit and damaged their economy. How many points of GDP will be lost if China does the same here? And, they have already done it to S Korea to get their way, who would believe that they wouldn't do it again? Is the current drop in Chinese tourism due to accidents and safety concerns? Probably, but China could also assist and promote tourism to help their 'new' friends... Are they? Er... Ahem... Nope, it does not seem like they are...

The Junta has created a horrible dependence on China/Chinese tourism, a dependence that will haunt the Kingdom for years to come. Yes, it made/makes sense to develop the Chinese market, but to neglect the 'Western' market is the dumbest thing ever. And, the endless 'nationalistic' BS turns off westerners, not to mention all the visa crap... However, as we all know, "foreigners don't understand".

You reap what you sow; my only concern here is for the proverbial 'little guy' who will be hurt due to the stupidity of the higher-ups. And, on my tourist island, they are hurting already.

Sad, sad days for beloved Thailand.

Why sooo serious!!??? you Tink too mutt!!!  sad indeed,,they will never see it coming....too busy on FB

16 hours ago, Darcula said:

There must be some way to put a positive spin on the dengue outbreak. Could dengue mosquitos be the new fish spa?

Dengue! Lose weight while just lying in bed watching thai cartoon or soapies...free durian too!!!  +vat tax 7%

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

A stat was published yesterday saying the average Chinese tourist spends 6000 bt a day when in Thailand... where 6k a day is spent is a complete mystery to me.  Obviously another one of those famous stats pulled from thin air.... ????

True...

Mama Cups

Medicine

Snail White

Latex Pillow

Chocolate

Durian

Cigarettes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

By the love of all the Gods in all the heavens, please don't let them decide Laos is their new "in" place.

I shouldn't think they will. One of the most boring countries I've ever visited. A distinct lack of beaches too, which I would think rule it out as a holiday destination for many. ????

Edited by Mark1066

15 hours ago, MaxLee said:

I thought for a moment, that a Chinese has been punched in the face by a Thai thug, when I read those headlines...... 

You're not wrong, the thug worked as a security guard at the airport.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:50 AM, Mark1066 said:

I shouldn't think they will. One of the most boring countries I've ever visited. A distinct lack of beaches too, which I would think rule it out as a holiday destination for many. ????

Perfect. There are beaches, though. Just none on the ocean. I've lived here over 12 years now and boring is just fine, especially after reading TVF every day. My wife and I go to Thailand a lot: shopping, visiting relatives. I always long for the relative sanity and definite quiet of Laos.

Who says boring has to be bad? As an aside, if you like to read, you're never bored!

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

Perfect. There are beaches, though. Just none on the ocean. I've lived here over 12 years now and boring is just fine, especially after reading TVF every day. My wife and I go to Thailand a lot: shopping, visiting relatives. I always long for the relative sanity and definite quiet of Laos.

Who says boring has to be bad? As an aside, if you like to read, you're never bored!

I wouldn’t judge Thailand by TVF. It would be a truly terrible place if this forum was an accurate reflection of life in Thailand!

I love to read but not exclusively. Actually, it’s not so much that I find Laos boring, it’s just a bit too backward.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, tropo said:

I think they are hurting much more than they are letting on (T, that is). I was surprised the drop was only 12%, 

Just from what I've seen in last 2 days, especially today: along Beach rd, Pattaya, twice 9 am and about 11 am. No tour buses, only one group of Chinese boarding speedboats. No parasailing. The cafeteria style restaurant on Naklua rd just South of soi-14/1 had only one tour bus parked in front. Regularly there are 8 plus buses there at 12-1300. Not making predictions here. But just this drop today is about 85 percent from very recent past at same times/places.

Edited by morrobay

• 2 months later...