Advice on my experience at Suvarnabhumi airport

23 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

I agree totally. This guy doesn't have a clue of whom he is fighting against, for me it's a golden rule in Thailand of never ever getting into any kind of fight with police or officials, you always end up losing at the end. 

Just like here. Now all the big shots posting here will tell you that Bangkok Immigration don't care if you submit a TM30 or not. Here is the result of that advice when immigration decide otherwise once your in the frame.

Police are checking whether immigration laws have been broken after complaints were made about a temple's pre-dawn bell ringing near a condominium at Wat Sai in Bangkok's Rama III area.

Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn, acting Immigration Bureau chief, said on Friday that officers would check if the owner of the condominium unit, from where the noise complaint was made, had informed the Immigration Bureau about a foreigner now staying there. 

Officers would also check whether the foreign tenant had notified the Immigration Bureau of their correct address. If not, the foreign tenant could face a visa revocation and deportation, Surachate added.

The noise complaints prompted Bang Kho Laem district office to warn the temple. The temple's abbot then instructed monks to keep the volume down. The 1.2-metre-tall bell is rung at 4am every day during the Buddhist Lent period. 

The case also led to hot debates on social media, prompting Buddhism’s highest body and related authorities to visit the temple on Thursday to seek a solution. 

It was decided that a meeting would be held on October 10 for the condominium, the temple, the district office and nearby community residents, to resolve this issue.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355889

Edited by Lovethailandelite

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Just like here. Now all the big shots posting here will tell you that Bangkok Immigration don't care if you submit a TM30 or not. Here is the result of that advice when immigration decide otherwise once your in the frame.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355889

An interesting example, although not really about TM30s, which is the houseowner's responsibility, and, in Bangkok anyway, not the foreigner's. Registering your address through 90-day reports is the foreigner's responsibility and presumably the foreigners in this condo were checked for that.

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

An interesting example, although not really about TM30s, which is the houseowner's responsibility, and, in Bangkok anyway, not the foreigner's. Registering your address through 90-day reports is the foreigner's responsibility and presumably the foreigners in this condo were checked for that.

Absolutely it's regarding TM30 reporting after he made a complaint. That's why condo management/owner have now been dragged into it. The immigration act makes it illegal for any foreigner to be in the country and not reporting. It's the foreigners responsibility to report OR be reported.
People really need to get this responsibility thing out of there head about who should be doing it. If it's not done it becomes YOUR problem. It's now very much the complainants problem if it hasn't been done. This is what happens when you try to make a nuisance of yourself and attempt to report things you shouldn't really get involved with, if your not squeaky clean yourself.

12 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Absolutely it's regarding TM30 reporting after he made a complaint. That's why condo management/owner have now been dragged into it. The immigration act makes it illegal for any foreigner to be in the country and not reporting. It's the foreigners responsibility to report OR be reported.
People really need to get this responsibility thing out of there head about who should be doing it. If it's not done it becomes YOUR problem. It's now very much the complainants problem if it hasn't been done. 

The article you linked to makes no reference to TM30s.  It refers to foreigners notifying, or in this case not notifying, Immigration of their address, which is 90-day reporting. 

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The article you linked to makes no reference to TM30s.  It refers to foreigners notifying, or in this case not notifying, Immigration of their address, which is 90-day reporting. 

Yes. Foreigners, condo owners letting condos, condominium etc. That's TM30 reporting. What input does a landlord or condo JPM have on anybody's 90 day reporting? It's all regarding TM30 reporting and that's where they have a case of deportation/visa revocation if it hasn't been done. The immigration allows for it. 

1 minute ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Yes. Foreigners, condo owners letting condos, condominium etc. That's TM30 reporting. What input does a landlord or condo JPM have on anybody's 90 day reporting? It's all regarding TM30 reporting and that's where they have a case of deportation/visa revocation if it hasn't been done. The immigration allows for it. 

I was talking about foreigners living here; not just those letting out property.  Most of the landlords affected by the raid were Thai anyway.  TM30s are completed by the hotel, house owner.  It's not relevant to this thread, or to the OP's situation.

8 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It's all regarding TM30 reporting and that's where they have a case of deportation/visa revocation if it hasn't been done.

There is no such punishment possible for not doing TM30 reports according to the immigration act. Only a max fine for individuals of 2000 baht and 10,000 baht for businesses.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such punishment possible for not doing TM30 reports according to the immigration act. Only a max fine for individuals of 2000 baht and 10,000 baht for businesses.

Your post shows you have zero idea of how the Immigration Act works for failing to comply with the terms of a permission to enter a country. Once again, poor advice from you leading people to believe they can ignore the Act and simply and pay a small fine.

On October 5, 2018 at 9:52 AM, sirocco said:

Hello,
Well agree with post 22.
You agree to give a bribe, but after you come whine. Then you threaten the employee who "did you a favor".
What audacity ! What a cheek.
If honest people are persecuted, it is the fault of some who circumvent the laws, without qualms.
It is against you that we should file a complaint.

What a bunch of crap.....he didn't voluntarily pay a bribe, he was strong armed into it as they knew he wanted to see his wife and kids again. Earlier this week when the motorcyclist on the bridge ran into a vehicle because he was going the wrong way some people tried to put it onto the car driver.....were you one of them?

if this guy is from Singapore don't they have a reciprocal agreement within the SE Asia community?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Your post shows you have zero idea of how the Immigration Act works for failing to comply with the terms of a permission to enter a country. Once again, poor advice from you leading people to believe they can ignore the Act and simply and pay a small fine.

I merely stated what the immigration act states the penalty for not doing a TM30 report. Perhaps you could read chapter 4 to find where it  states otherwise. Click here to read it. Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

I quoted what it states under Chapter 8 section 77 that has the penalty for not complying with section 38 which is TM30 reporting.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I merely stated what the immigration act states the penalty for not doing a TM30 report. Perhaps you could read chapter 4 to find where it  states otherwise. Click here to read it. Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

I quoted what it states under Chapter 8 section 77 that has the penalty for not complying with section 38 which is TM30 reporting.

Yes I understand that and I'm not disputing it. What I am trying to emphasise, is any breach of the Immigration Act, here or in any country can and has been used in cases to deport and revoke visas. I am not for one minute suggesting that everyone who hasn't filed a TM30 is going to be deported.
In this case, somebody has opened a door that they, as a foreigner, should never had opened and now they will use the Act to dispose of the problem if they are in breach. That basically is what the article is saying.
If you remember last year, the Governor in Phuket said the act would be used against those that caused trouble if it was then found that they had failed to register a TM30. Simply because like Chonburi, they want them completed. IMO, this is liable to open a can of worms in Bangkok and they may well be forced in to making people register.
I know many expats living in Bangkok and although immigration there don't compel people to file, they all do it simply in order to stay legal and not have it come back to bite them at some stage. Bangkok Immigration certainly don't refuse them when you attempt to file.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

What a bunch of crap.....he didn't voluntarily pay a bribe, he was strong armed into it as they knew he wanted to see his wife and kids again. Earlier this week when the motorcyclist on the bridge ran into a vehicle because he was going the wrong way some people tried to put it onto the car driver.....were you one of them?

if this guy is from Singapore don't they have a reciprocal agreement within the SE Asia community?

That's neither here nor there. He 'Paid it'. Reporting the I/O won't end well for him. That's how it works here. He just needs to move on or use the contact for his own advantage.

4 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

What I am trying to emphasise, is any breach of the Immigration Act, here or in any country can and has been used in cases to deport and revoke visas.

Phew. Can you imagine a happy Elite customer forking 1 million and getting his visa revoked for a TM30, visa that is only supposedly a perk of the "membership programme"?

Better stay on SETV.

????????????????

Listen to what ubonjoe is saying there and do not buy into this media nationalistic propaganda / scaremonging.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

@cnconline

If I understood your OP correctly, your situation is as follows:

1. You are a national of Singapore and you live in Singapore.

2. You are the father of two children of Thai nationality, who live in Thailand with their mother, also of Thai nationality, who is your common-law wife.

3. Your father, presumably a Singaporean national, also lives in Thailand.

4. You travel six or more times per year to Thailand to visit the abovementioned persons.

When you asked the Thai immigration officials what visa they think that you should get, they should, if they knew the answer, have told you that the correct visa for your situation was the multiple-entry non-immigrant visa category O to travel to Thailand for the purpose of visiting family members, namely the persons I listed under points one to three above.

My suggestion is that you forget the idea of a vendetta against the immigration official who extorted 1000 Baht from you. For your next and future trips to Thailand, apply at the Thai Embassy in Singapore for the aforementioned multiple-entry non-O visa. Check the embassy's website for their requirements.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lkv said:

Phew. Can you imagine a happy Elite customer forking 1 million and getting his visa revoked for a TM30, visa that is only supposedly a perk of the "membership programme"?

Better stay on SETV.

????????????????

Listen to what ubonjoe is saying there and do not buy into this media nationalistic propaganda / scaremonging.

This shows just how ignorant you are when it comes to immigration law. Keep telling yourself that none of this effects you and that you can carry on and do as you please. Just don't try and convince anybody that would be stupid enough to believe you.
Well done on finding the angle to bring Thailand Elite into it.

13 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Yes I understand that and I'm not disputing it. What I am trying to emphasise, is any breach of the Immigration Act, here or in any country can and has been used in cases to deport and revoke visas. I am not for one minute suggesting that everyone who hasn't filed a TM30 is going to be deported.
In this case, somebody has opened a door that they, as a foreigner, should never had opened and now they will use the Act to dispose of the problem if they are in breach. That basically is what the article is saying.
If you remember last year, the Governor in Phuket said the act would be used against those that caused trouble if it was then found that they had failed to register a TM30. Simply because like Chonburi, they want them completed. IMO, this is liable to open a can of worms in Bangkok and they may well be forced in to making people register.
I know many expats living in Bangkok and although immigration there don't compel people to file, they all do it simply in order to stay legal and not have it come back to bite them at some stage. Bangkok Immigration certainly don't refuse them when you attempt to file.

LInks to the statement from the Phuket governor please, and links to people having their permission to stay revoked due to not doing TM30 please.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 9:40 AM, sjbrownderby said:

Sit back and see what happens. It would be naive to think that the Thai Visa site is not being monitored in some way by authorities. Even if you are not contacted directly, just by revealing your experience someone has been alerted to it. Every day I see people talking about things of an incriminatory nature and even though important facts like names are not revealed those things discussed do give an impression of what is happening amongst the ex-pat community. It is always best not to underestimate as that leads to complacency, and it is very easy to underestimate the capabilities of the authorities here. 

Yes champion ! Enough Thai in this country to be able to read an English forum...

Really, people never try to think before posting here ?!

555555++++

Edited by jrjrjr

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Lovethailandelite said:

Simply because like Chonburi, they want them completed.

Not true. When the issue was more current (May) I was due to make a short trip to the UK. I visited Chonburi Immigration and spoke to the head honcho on this topic.

His reply was that if the address lodged with IO remained unchanged and you were travelling on a visa based on retirement or marriage, there was no need to complete a TM30. I have since made that trip, didn't complete my TM30 and recently did my 90 day report with no issues.