Best mall in Chiang Mai?

YogaVeg

I'd love to hear your opinions.

I've been to Airport Mall and the Maya.

Of the 2, imo Maya wins because of the free WiFi.

Money exchange was a better rate at Airport Mall than the Maya. (Across the street from the Maya is the best rate in the Ninneman that I've seen, SPE).

They both have excellent food court options and the grocery stores are nice. Neither open till 11 am weekdays tho...

Is Central Festival same-same?

What else is out there?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are only five big air-cond malls in Chiang Mai so there's nothing much to compare. 

Maya

Airport plaza

Kad Suan Kaew

Central Festival

Promenada

Personally, I prefer Kad Suan Kaew. 

Maya is good but prices are more expensive there.

Promenada is quite dead after immigration moved out.

Which mall is your favorite depends on which is most convenient for you to reach.  For me, Kad Suan Kaew is a very easy walk from home, so I know it well and can find most things I need.  Good Bangkok Bank, probably the most foreigner-friendly branch in town.  Fairly good Tops.  

Little longer walk for me is Maya Mall with an acceptable, but not fantastic, Rim Ping and a wonderful cinema. 

I've been out to Central Festival and then was surprised to find the selection of sheets and towels at the little Central dept store at Kad Suan Kaew was just about as good.  Why did I bother to go all the way out there?  Also the cinema at Central Festival somehow didn't seem as nice as the one at Maya.  What was the point of the trip?

And Promenada was the only thing that made trips to Immigration tolerable.  It was like having my own private mall to wander while waiting.  The cinema was nice, ChiChang, the electronics store good, Bangkok Bank friendly. The Rim Ping excellent.  I'll miss it, but won't be making any special trips just to shop at Promenada -- not from where I live.  

I'll guess I'll get reacquainted with Airport Plaza again now that Imm. has moved.  Haven't been there since Imm. moved to Prom.

Malls are malls... Each has its own appeal and we go to all of them for different reasons and just as a change of pace...

Also one should not overlook the Thai malls like Wararot Market, and the adjoining fresh market up the river and the flower stalls as well as the numerous local walking markets that have food courts and are great for evening dining and a nice walkabout like here...

The Chiangmai Complex
https://goo.gl/maps/bdJ2ffp2et42

Also different areas have a weekly street market like the one behind the Big C/Homepro on the superhighway and at Kad Farrang and the Saturday market in CMU...

2 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Also one should not overlook the Thai malls like Wararot Market, and the adjoining fresh market up the river and the flower stalls as well as the numerous local walking markets that have food courts and are great for evening dining and a nice walkabout like here...

???? Yes the flower market area by the river is lovely, the food stalls a real locals scene. I also like the nearby indoor Night Bazaar with live music and fabulous Pad Thai. Unique corner of town.

Airport mall has the best food court and theater. Kad Suan Kaew has good clothes prices in middle of the floors near the escalators. Maya is upscale on prices, theater is very good. Airport Mall is good, has very good Farang clothes in IBIS store, clothes that fit. Many mens'pants in Thailand are not high-waisted as from the belt to under the nads to the rear belt, Thai people are smaller in height..

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are only five big air-cond malls in Chiang Mai so there's nothing much to compare. 

Maya

Airport plaza

Kad Suan Kaew

Central Festival

Promenada

One of the things I find attractive about Promenada is the lack of crowds. The fact that Dukes is there is a bonus.

Airport Plaza has long been the main shopping mall. Would not suggest making a long journey to any of the others. But it really depends what you want from shopping, eating etc. Comfortable on a hot day but Chiang Mai surely has far more interesting places if you are eating out or buying fresh food from the markets. 

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Dumb thread. There in no one best. Best for what?

I guess everyone has preferences and they won't be the same. You've just chosen to be a bit of a keyboard warrior in expressing that they think it's a "dumb thread", despite making a conscious choice to click on the thread and comment anyway. Do you do the same in real life when someone asks a question you don't agree with?

My thoughts on them are (and obviously everyone else will have different ones):

My favourite is Central Festival - it's a few km from home, but easy to get to, being right next to the main roads, parking is plentiful, lots of food options and lots of decent stores selling western brands, if that's what you're looking for. 

Central Airport is probably my second favourite just for the good spread of stuff, plus it's convenient to run multiple errands at.

I find Promenada a bit depressing. It's great for a quiet coffee or a visit to Rimping (I'm not a huge fan of Dukes, but some people are). 

I see Kad Suan Kaew is a crowd favourite, but it's not really for me. A bit run down, dark and dingey for my preferences, but I can see why some people like it - it's got a bit of character about it that plenty of the new malls don't. 

I don't get to Nimman area much, so I haven't really explored Maya much in the last couple of years. 

A nice Thai market is Tanin Market a couple blocks west of Chang Puek Rd, a few blocks north of the Mecure Hotel.  Very good around 4 pm - 5 pm to get prepared meals, the Thai version of "take-away", made fresh at the market with high-turnover, much activity of Thai people stopping after work to pick up meals for dinner at home.  Also grilled chicken and freshly killed and filleted fish. 

I used to make a nice fish stew every week at home using fillets from a fresh fish I'd select at Tanin Market and watch the vendor whack on the head and fillet for me.  I made the mistake of taking Hubby with me one time and he protested "I didn't know you got to know the fish before you bought it" and wouldn't eat the fish stew after that.  What would he rather I do, buy fish fillets from a supermarket where it's likely to have been treated with chemical preservatives?

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:
20 hours ago, EricTh said:

here are only five big air-cond malls in Chiang Mai so there's nothing much to compare. 

Maya

Airport plaza

Kad Suan Kaew

Central Festival

Promenada

One of the things I find attractive about Promenada is the lack of crowds. The fact that Dukes is there is a bonus.

Then head over to Kad Suan Kaew  ..... nobody there except in the basement - sad. I wonder if it can make it 6 more months. 

21 minutes ago, NancyL said:

A nice Thai market is Tanin Market a couple blocks west of Chang Puek Rd, a few blocks north of the Mecure Hotel.  Very good around 4 pm - 5 pm to get prepared meals, the Thai version of "take-away", made fresh at the market with high-turnover, much activity of Thai people stopping after work to pick up meals for dinner at home.  Also grilled chicken and freshly killed and filleted fish. 

I used to make a nice fish stew every week at home using fillets from a fresh fish I'd select at Tanin Market and watch the vendor whack on the head and fillet for me.  I made the mistake of taking Hubby with me one time and he protested "I didn't know you got to know the fish before you bought it" and wouldn't eat the fish stew after that.  What would he rather I do, buy fish fillets from a supermarket where it's likely to have been treated with chemical preservatives?

Nice post up. Instead of fish friendship problems I have the 'Mie Bie - Pang' comment. It is more expensive than other  Thai markets, but really a wash for a foreigner. Relative to buying at Tops or Rimping, it's nothing BUT I always get that comment. Better to shop alone, heh.  

I spent hours at Central 

Kad Suan Kaew, and for me it's the clear winner!

The place is vibrant, the inviting courtyard full of green vegetation and doors open meaning lots of fresh air. It's air conditioned but not frigid like the others. Huge glass walls so you can see outside and the sun comes in.

Definitely a locals Thai vibe and an unbelievable array of foods available. The interior is funky and I love the nonlinear concept, it's like a labyrinth, wander forever and not get bored. Big night market settling in outdoors too. 90 baht movie theater. At least 3 major banks.

Tons of down to Earth folks, suits me well.

The place has amazing character and great energy, unlike the sterility of Airport Plaza or the Vegas vibe of Maya.

And the markets spilling out all over the walkways add to the allure.

The place was pretty busy too, looks to me like it'll be around for a long time to come.

Everything is just a little cheaper than elsewhere also.

But the vast array of food options is what really sold me, I had 3 wonderful meals there.

To each their own, but if you haven't yet seen it and you like down to Earth local scenes, I highly recommend you take a look.

20181005_152618_Film1.jpg

20181005_160848_Film1.jpg

20181005_161502_Film1.jpg

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Then head over to Kad Suan Kaew  ..... nobody there except in the basement - sad. I wonder if it can make it 6 more months. 

I don’t think it will close... They just redecorated the large food court (Not for the better as Elvis has left the building)...

The only thing that would close it is a medium sized tremor...

Just now, sfokevin said:

I don’t think it will close... They just redecorated the large food court (Not for the better as Elvis has left the building)...

Kad Suan Gaeow is a shell of what it was. I like it, always did.  I like the location but its a wasteland. Nice pics by Yogaveg, but that's his job right?! ... to put a spin on bad news ... :thumbsup:

Maybe 6 months is too fast. In a year Kad suan will be ready to go and Promenada soon after.  CM has a hotel glut and a mall glut, and nothing good will come of it.

6 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Kad Suan Gaeow is a shell of what it was. I like it, always did.  I like the location but its a wasteland. Nice pics by Yogaveg, but that's his job right?! ... to put a spin on bad news ... :thumbsup:

Maybe 6 months is too fast. In a year Kad suan will be ready to go and Promenada soon after.  CM has a hotel glut and a mall glut, and nothing good will come of it.

Theres a large open air swimming pool in Kad san kaew

I only noticed it a few days ago

20 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Its on a huge plat of prime real estate .

Its only a matter of time before its redeveloped 

Have you ever been to the upper floors during the weekend.

Sometimes, they have fashion shows, lucky draws, temporary sales booth, other shows that I can't remember. 

It's definitely very vibrant and won't close down in 6 years let alone 6 months not with the huge number of Chinese tourists coming in and buying stuff there.

The hotel next door (Lotus Pang Suan kaew) to Kad Suan Kaew has loads of Chinese tourists.

The same can't be said of Promenada.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

It's definitely very vibrant and won't close down in 6 years let alone 6 months not with the huge number of Chinese tourists coming in and buying stuff there.

The hotel next door (Lotus Pang Suan kaew) to Kad Suan Kaew has loads of Chinese tourists.

I hope so ... I mean that is what people say right. :thumbsup:

On the other hand because of the Malls woes, some events which used to be held at that hotel are going to another hotel; this for EP schools and uni's so that tells me a lot right there.. I lived in CM 03-08 so now back again seeing it like it is ... and more stuff has moved in the last year. (was up for 10 days in March 17) so I am doubtful of what you say. Hey I hope you are right, but will be surprised if you are.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Theres a large open air swimming pool in Kad san kaew

I only noticed it a few days ago

Wow, I missed that, I wonder if the public can access it, in I'm guessing it's the hotels?

I will investigate further!

I was there half the day and it's easy to get lost in the place, I'm sure I missed lots!

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Have you ever been to the upper floors during the weekend.

Sometimes, they have fashion shows, lucky draws, temporary sales booth, other shows that I can't remember. 

i arrived right at opening and it got busy fast (within 2 hours), it wasn't overcrowded by any stretch but a fair crowd for sure. Very enjoyable. The vendors were super nice, but they kinda are everywhere in CM. 

Everyone likes something different but I'm sold on this one ????

1 minute ago, YogaVeg said:

Wow, I missed that, I wonder if the public can access it, in I'm guessing it's the hotels?

I will investigate further!

I was there half the day and it's easy to get lost in the place, I'm sure I missed lots!

Its on about the six th floor , between the hotel and KSK , 100 Baht to get in

Image may contain: sky, pool, cloud and outdoor

I might sound a tad overly-optimistic but indeed I had a great time there. I enjoyed both Airport Plaza and the Maya also, but this place really appealed to my tastes.

Felt way more Thai authentic.

I like the architecture, it's old school earthy. The vibe was great, everyone smiling. And the food stalls go on forever...

No free WiFi or fancy toilets but it's still happening and I hope it never closes.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its on about the six th floor , between the hotel and KSK , 100 Baht to get in

Image may contain: sky, pool, cloud and outdoor

Whoa! See that? The greenery, the facade, that's the real deal.

Thank you so much ????

I'm going swimming tomorrow, woohoo! ????

Archived