Health Check booth at airport for African travelers

When we arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Feb, we encountered a new form to fill in and a new set of officers, one or two moving walkways before the ramp to immigration. The signs stated something along the lines that all travelers from Africa had to report for a health check.

The booth seemed to be either temporary or an interim one while something more substantial was built.

Can someone who has been through the area recently please tell me whether it is still there.

I have a nervous first time traveler coming to BKK that I am advising.

Many Thanks.

Edited by HatYai2
spelling

Thanks UJ

That makes some sense. But the form simply asks, after all the personal details, how do you feel sore throat, diarrhea , vomiting etc. No real check by officials though. He barely glanced up before signing the form.

It was the first time ever, and the booth was similar to those you see at a trade show. That is why I ask if it was temporary or a permanent extra stop on the way in.

Just got back from vacation in South Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia last August. I flew to BKK on Ethiopian Airlines.  I am from USA with an extension of stay. After exiting the plane they hand everyone a form. I went to the booth with a USA passport and I was not required to give them the form or do anything else. Just went straight on to immigration. 

If you are travelling within Central Africa, (more likely arriving on Ethiopian Airlines) you will have to go to the Medical Center Desk just before Immigration to be approved first. This is just there stamp on your Entry Card and is mainly to check for the Yellow Fever Vaccination. 

So before proceding to Immigration, you should get there stamp first on your Entry Card, or Immigration will just send you back, and like they did to me my first time. You need your Completed Form (which they also have blank ones at the desks they provide their) your Passport, and your Yellow Fever Vaccination Card. 

Some advice on doing this is to procede to the Medical Center as soon as you possible can, as Ethiopian Airlines usually arrives in Bangkok on the big Boeing 787 (Dream Liner). If you do not hurry you will find yourself behing a large que, as everyone has to go there. Got stuck there once and almost missed my Domestic Flight. 

I have been travelling this route monthly for about 2 years now and I had to stop at the Medical Center each trip. So this place is not temporary and is still there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Just got back from vacation in South Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia last August. I flew to BKK on Ethiopian Airlines.  I am from USA with an extension of stay. After exiting the plane they hand everyone a form. I went to the booth with a USA passport and I was not required to give them the form or do anything else. Just went straight on to immigration. 

Never heard of that before. Don't see why having a USA Passport has anything to do with not having to have a Yellow Fever Vaccination, when travelling in infected areas, unless you were just in transit.

Are you sure you did not have to provide your Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate? If not, it just seems more likely they missed you by mistake.  

On 10/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

Never heard of that before. Don't see why having a USA Passport has anything to do with not having to have a Yellow Fever Vaccination, when travelling in infected areas, unless you were just in transit.

Are you sure you did not have to provide your Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate? If not, it just seems more likely they missed you by mistake.  

All I know is I did not have to give them my form or fill it out. They told me to go on to immigration. I have never had a yellow fever vaccination and don’t really know what it is. I also did not take malaria medication because it was winter in Africa and I did not see any mosquitoes. Guide that was with me told me malaria medication not needed in winter and in South Africa and never mentioned yellow fever. 

Edited by Wake Up

I am sure I will get flack, but I believe ever person everywhere who wants to travel should be required to provide a extensive medical check including diseases as HIV, Hepatitis, etc. 

Then, leave it up to the country to decide if they are allowed to visit.

Believing people will be responsible is irresponsible in my opinion.