EU negotiators say Brexit deal 'very close' but details missing

rooster59

EU negotiators say Brexit deal 'very close' but details missing

By Gabriela Baczynska and Alastair Macdonald

800x800.jpg

Anti-Brexit demonstrators wave EU and Union flags opposite the Houses of Parliament, in London, Britain, June 19, 2018. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/File Photo

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union's Brexit negotiators believe a divorce deal with Britain is "very close", diplomatic sources said, in a sign a compromise on the most contentious issue of the future Irish border might be in the making, though details were scarce.

The EU signalled on Thursday it was engaging with new proposals emerging in Britain on how to avoid extensive Irish border checks after Brexit, the key potential deal-breaker in the talks to end four decades of union.

A member of EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier's team told a briefing with national diplomats in Brussels late on Thursday a divorce deal with Britain was "very close", according to two sources present.

"We are going in the right direction," a senior EU diplomat said separately of the work on the Irish fix.

Two days of cautiously positive comments from Brussels have helped strengthen sterling but Britain has yet to formally put any new proposals to the bloc in writing.

The two sides are trying to push the divorce deal as well as an agreement on post-Brexit relations over the line in time for leaders' summits scheduled for Oct. 17-18 and Nov. 17-18.

Under the plan described by EU sources, Britain would give up on insisting on only a time-limited emergency Irish border solution. Britain would get its way in having all of the United Kingdom - rather than just Northern Ireland - stay in a customs union with the bloc if the "backstop" is triggered.

Ireland's Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, speaking in Brussels on Thursday, urged Britain to make new proposals well ahead of the EU summit in less than two weeks to leave enough time for analysis. Sources in Brussels say the devil is in the detail.

"Negotiations are not easy because we also have to be critical that we receive different signals from London," European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker said in Austria.

"There is a polyphonic chorus at the level of the British cabinet and we try to arrange the pieces ... so that they become a melody."

Any such compromise would leave the EU worrying that Britain could use Northern Ireland's special access to the bloc's single market to sell cheaper goods that would not adhere to EU labour, environment and other standards.

The bloc worries that London would try to use that unique trade fix as a building block for the overall future trade relationship and win an unfair competitive edge.

CANADA +++

For Britain, the problem is agreeing to checks on goods and livestock with Northern Ireland, something strongly oppposed by the province's Democratic Unionist Party - on whose votes British Prime Minister Theresa May relies to govern.

Britain's Brexit ministry said on Friday London's new proposals on the Irish border would preserve the integrity of the United Kingdom.

While the EU is pushing London on the Irish issue, the 27 states remaining in the bloc are also fleshing out their proposal of future ties with Britain.

Barnier's team was presenting their outline to 27 EU ambassadors in Brussels on Friday. They are expected to endorse "chapter headings" of what is due to become a political declaration on future ties to be eventually agreed together with the legal Brexit divorce deal.

The chairman of EU leaders, Donald Tusk, on Thursday said a "Canada plus plus plus" was on offer, meaning an advanced free trade agreement coupled with close security ties, tight cooperation on global affairs and research, among other elements.

Another senior EU diplomat said the EU would propose "zero tariffs and zero quotas" in trade with Britain after Brexit, which would go beyond what the bloc has with Canada.

Such a proposal goes down well with May's critics at home who advocate a more uncompromising split with the EU than she is seeking.

Any deal between May and fellow EU leaders must be endorsed by both the EU and British parliaments, another hurdle to clear to avoid the most damaging scenario of Britain leaving the bloc with not much in place to mitigate the economic shock.

"Time is pressing. All partners know that," a German government spokesman said. "Britain exiting without an agreement would not be in the interests of Britain, Europe or Germany."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-06

I am sure that ‘zero tariffs and zero quotas’ within a Canada-type agreement only goes for goods ‘originating’ in either the EU or the UK - in line with all WTO-based Free Trade Agreements all over the world. Not quite the same as the free circulation of goods that we have at present, as import declarations would have to be made and the ‘origin’ of the goods must be proved. Still, a lot better than ‘no deal’.

Edited by damascase

If two cars are on opposite lanes on a highway driving in the opposite direction then they are at some point "very close" to each other. But that doesn't mean they will be soon even closer and it doesn't mean that even go in the same direction.

So yeah, keeping that in mind the UK and EU might be "very close" to each other, except for all those minor issues about trade, the Irish border, the fact that there is no majority for any option in the UK parliament, ...

"very close" 555

• Thanks 1

Yeaa, pound goes up. Actually, what I really want is plenty of pessimism, inflation goes through the roof, a last minute deal, and the pound bounces back. Yeah, my pension is inflation linked. Ha! Every cloud has a siver lining. It's just possible I could come out of this Brexit mess ahead of the game. O, those halcyon days, when a pound was worth 68 bt, but I'd settle fot 50. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If two cars are on opposite lanes on a highway driving in the opposite direction then they are at some point "very close" to each other. But that doesn't mean they will be soon even closer and it doesn't mean that even go in the same direction.

So yeah, keeping that in mind the UK and EU might be "very close" to each other, except for all those minor issues about trade, the Irish border, the fact that there is no majority for any option in the UK parliament, ...

"very close" 555

The usual pessimism of a remainer, determined to rubbish any deal whether good or bad.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeaa, pound goes up. Actually, what I really want is plenty of pessimism, inflation goes through the roof, a last minute deal, and the pound bounces back. Yeah, my pension is inflation linked. Ha! Every cloud has a siver lining. It's just possible I could come out of this Brexit mess ahead of the game. O, those halcyon days, when a pound was worth 68 bt, but I'd settle fot 50.

I would like to see 50 again , 73 when I came here in 2005 . That was when I went to those rude places in Changers , Can't afford to now.

2 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The usual pessimism of a remainer, determined to rubbish any deal whether good or bad.  

Where is the deal?

Where are all those opportunities?

Where are all those politicians who work together to bring the UK into the bright future?

It seems there is no majority for any realistic deal within the UK. I follow the news daily and it seems the most supported option is still Checkers - and we know all that that does not have majority support within the UK and the EU can't possibly accept it.

I am not from the UK and I shouldn't really care what they do or don't do. But I follow the news, kind of like a soap opera, and see what kind of ideas they bring up all the time. And after 2 years there is not much to show. The main difference between a soap opera is that nobody would watch it because it totally unbelievable what is happening.

• Like 1